Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Radion FWG4 Pro

Frequent Visitor

Radion FWG4 Pro

In regards to the above model, how many colors show up in the Apex program? Neptune support told me there should be 8, Echotech's website shows 8, their support says 6 and Marine depot's website shows 5.

I am having problems getting Apex to show the correct colors and they need me to find out what the correct spectrum is so they can have an engineer contact me to help me get this set up.

The real answer is 8 if you have the latest firmware .
    Alain

Frequent Visitor
    Do you have the Radion FW G4?

There is 2 version available , one for the latest Apex and one for the classic model .

https://www.neptunesystems.com/support/sw-updates/

If you have the latest Apex , Fusion will notify you .
    Alain

Frequent Visitor
    Oh, I misunderstood you. I have the latest Apex. I thought you were talking about the lights.

Alain

Frequent Visitor
    Yes I tried that link and it didn't work that's why I had to work with support. I am suppose to talk to an engineer as I've had two people at Neptune who couldn't get it to bring up the correct colors. The big question is what is the correct spectrum for the freshwater pro radion. Once i get that information, I then have to work with whoever's software is causing the problem (i.e. Echotech or Neptune.) But I was looking for confirmation from someone who has the lights that I have.

IIRC, this is the first time Ive seen anyone inquiring about using the Radion freshwater variant w/ a WXM. Ecotech's web site shows 5 channels for the FW variant, not 8 - 8 is for the marine Radion G4P. Neptune support probably thought you have a Radion G4 Pro (Marine model) which has the 8 channels.
    Please do not send me PMs with technical questions or requesting assistance - use the forums for Apex help. PM me ONLY if the matter is of a private or personal nature. Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by lang510 View Post
    Yes I tried that link and it didn't work that's why I had to work with support. I am suppose to talk to an engineer as I've had two people at Neptune who couldn't get it to bring up the correct colors. The big question is what is the correct spectrum for the freshwater pro radion. Once i get that information, I then have to work with whoever's software is causing the problem (i.e. Echotech or Neptune.) But I was looking for confirmation from someone who has the lights that I have.
    I have both 5 channel Radions ( G1 ) and the latest G4 Pro , both saltwater . They are both running the latest Apex firmware . However there is an issue with the 5 channel Radion running on the latest Apex firmware . Make sure that the unused channel ( or missing ) are set to 0 , if they are not set to 0 , the Radion become unresponsive and can only be control ON or OFF .

Capture r.PNG
    Alain

Frequent Visitor
    RussM, their website clearly says that the Freshwater G4 Pro has 8 lights. AlainB, thanks for the info. A tech from Neptune apparently read my post and contacted me. He is going to have me do a few tests and then I'm assuming help change the program for the FW G4 Pro user. Will keep you all posted.

Quote Originally Posted by lang510 View Post
    RussM, their website clearly says that the Freshwater G4 Pro has 8 lights. AlainB, thanks for the info. A tech from Neptune apparently read my post and contacted me. He is going to have me do a few tests and then I'm assuming help change the program for the FW G4 Pro user. Will keep you all posted.
    It also clearly says that the Radion FW G4 Pro has 5 channels! But here's where it gets really confusing - we are BOTH "right" in a way, believe it or not. Ready for this? Ecotech's web site has a bit of a problem... it shows different specifications for the XR15 FW G4 Pro depending on the width of your browser window / device screen size.

On my desktop, http://radion.ecotechmarine.com/freshwater shows this for the colors/channels:

XR15FW-wide.PNG

5 channels, lots of white, minimal blue as I'd expect for a fixture targeted at the freshwater market.

Now, if I simply narrow the browser window quite a bit, the image showing the colors/channels CHANGES to this:
    XR15FW-narrow.PNG

Lots of blue, and UV & violet, etc as expected for a marine LED fixture. I also see the 8 channels image when I view that same page on my iPhone. It seems that their responsive web site theme is using the wrong image for small screens. No wonder we're all confused!

So, let's assume that the 5-channel images depicts reality for the Radion XR15 FW G4P... the Apex & WXM does not have a 5-channel option specifically for the FW Radion. As mentioned before, I don't recall anyone even asking about the Radion FW here on the Neptune Systems Community Forum before - the vast majority of Apex users are marine aquarists, me included. I wasn't even aware that there is a freshwater Radion variant until yesterday!

Maybe it will work - let's try something. In the XR15 (marine), channel 5 is Red; in the FW Radion, channel 2 is Blue. Setup a Fusion schedule like this:

RadionRed.PNG

Send it to the Apex, and observe the XR15 FW - does it light up w/ just blue LEDs?
    Please do not send me PMs with technical questions or requesting assistance - use the forums for Apex help. PM me ONLY if the matter is of a private or personal nature. Thanks.

BTW, I sent Ecotech an email about the website issue.

Frequent Visitor
    I very rarely use my browser as a full window so that's why I saw the 8 colors...good catch. I did the exact same test for each of the colors for Apex. Here are the results:

Red gives off a red color.

The one labeled RB gives off a neutral color with slight yellowish undertones. It is also not bright at all. It looks like it is running at 20% I am thinking this is the warm white.

The one labeled B gives off a blue color

Green is Green.

UV really looks like the RB color

Apex rec'd my message and they are looking into it.

Does White in the Apex control the Cool White channel in the Radion?

Frequent Visitor
    I can't believe I forgot to test white. It really doesn't seem to do much to the color. If I have a mix of colors (I'm current running 7K) and then change to 100% white and zero for the rest, the lights don't seem to change. But if I do 100% red and add the white, it looks the same as using 7K.

Frequent Visitor
    Well it is in the hands of the engineers and most likely it will be very low on their priority list since I am the only one who they know of who has these lights. May post a separate thread to see if there are more users.

New User
    If you run the calibration on your FW PRO you will cal. 8CH in this order CH1 green CH2 c.w CH3 c.w CH4 red CH5 blue CH6 w.w. CH7 w.w. CH8 w.w. When using ecosmart live the c.w. are tied together same as the w.w.

Frequent Visitor
    If I use echotech's program it only shows 5 lights, apex shows 6. Here is what I figured out with the apex programming:

red = red
    green= green
    blue= blue
    rb= warm white
    cw= cool white
    uv= disable

I then went to Echotech and looked at how they calculated 7K and adjusted my Apex program to match their levels.

New User
    Are all 8 cool white and all 7 warm white LED.s on?

Frequent Visitor
    Lights are off. Will let you know tomorrow

New User
    My guess is no. I do not have the WXM yet but I think you will need to set your APEX to the G4 saltwater setting and fined which channel controls what.

Frequent Visitor
    I am not able to set it to G4 saltwater. I asked about it and they said no. But I believe all the whites get turned on but I'll verify that tomorrow.

Frequent Visitor
    I can't stare at the lights a long time but I think I am seeing 8-10 whites with 8 I am sure are the cool white. I think I am going to have to take a second look at echotech live and see if I can see all the whites. I just hate their program.

Quote Originally Posted by The plant tank Man View Post
    My guess is no. I do not have the WXM yet but I think you will need to set your APEX to the G4 saltwater setting and fined which channel controls what.
    Lang510 has already posted the mapping of color channels.

There is no "G4 saltwater" setting, nor a Radion freshwater setting. The Apex & WXM do not have any specific support for the Radion freshwater variant. As I mentioned previously, lang510 is the first person I recall ever bringing up the use of the freshwater Radion with a Apex.

Until a times comes when (or if) Neptune adds specific support for the FW Radion's colors, you'll need to use lang510's color mappings to correlate which Apex channel controls which color in the FW G4.

New User
    I have the FW G3;s and the FW G4;s. When you calibrate the G3 there are 6 channels when you calibrate the G4 there are 8. Alain B's video link is about updating to have 8CH for the salt water G4. I am seting up a Red See Refer XXL750 as a plant tank and it will have 4 FWG4's on it. So at this time do I want the WXM or do I wait for them to do firmware update to cover the FWG4. I am tired of my reef link going off line and having to call them in order to ATTEMPT to get it working again. (PS) RussM showed you how to check the CH's one at a time with the APEX but you might not what to use 100% to count the LED's

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast