Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Radion FWG4 Pro

Frequent Visitor
    I love the WXM because it is so easy to use and reliable. But I hate the idea that I can't managed my G4 properly. Unless they get a lot of requests for an updated program from the freshwater users, they will probably not update for the Radion FWG4. What's the link to Alain B's video as I was told I wouldn't be able to see 8 channels.

New User
    It is https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lPH_-KL5c0s Apparently you have to force the firmware update because it is not mandatory dose not show as being available.

The only Radion that has 8 channels is the marine G4Pro. The freshwater G4P only has 5 channels. Updating the WXM firmware cannot change that fact.
    Please do not send me PMs with technical questions or requesting assistance - use the forums for Apex help. PM me ONLY if the matter is of a private or personal nature. Thanks.

Frequent Visitor
    The plant tank man: Saw the video. I went through all those steps with a support rep a few weeks ago. RussM is correct, my model will never see 8 colors.

Frequent Visitor
    So I decided to just go with the Ecotech program as I wanted to utilize the new colors. When I was using the Apex, it wasn't using the warm white as I thought. I just got off the phone with Ecotech to confirm that my programming was correct and to help me with the moonlight programming. Now I am seeing a huge difference in colors between the G4 and G3. The G4 side is a lot brighter and the G3 side is not as bright and the colors are warmer. Even working with the Ecotech program, it would be very difficult to match both sides of my current setup. The plants under the G4 side are pearling like crazy and very little under the G3 side.

I guess at this point, I will be thinking of upgrading my G3 to the G4 and not use the Apex until they upgrade, if ever, the Radion FW program.

Frequent Visitor
    Update: I upgraded to the G4 and purchased the reeflink. I am really happy with this decision and now at this point I am experimenting with the different default colors and adjusting my nutrients.

New User
    Hi, I have been lurking in this forum for a while, and it has been very helpful. I just purchased a pair of the latest XR15 Freshwater Pro and a WXM module to go over my planted discus tank. I already have an Apex classic controlling the tank, so I would like to also control the lights with the apex. Has there been any progress with the firmware for the freshwater version of the Radions? Also, could someone confirm that the all the leds are being used when controlling the lights with the apex and mapping the 6 channels in the apex to the 5 channels in the lights? Thanks!

Frequent Visitor
    I haven't heard of any updated software for the FW pro. I would definitely contact support and let them know that you are waiting for an update for these lights. The more people who contact them, the better. I am very happy managing the lights through the WXM.

New User
    I just got a reply from Neptune support:

"Unfortunately we do not support theRadion XR14 Freshwater G4 Pro, this could possibly happen in the future, ifEchotech gives the information to be able to add this to the WXM. You have done the correct think by identifying the correct channels eventhough they don't match up color and name wise."

Maybe we should also contact Ecotech support, so we can encourage these two companies to continue making their products work together.

Frequent Visitor
    Ecotech wants nothing to do with the Apex. They will only tell you to use the WMX. We just need more freshwater people to contact Neptune. They told me that until they get the demand for an upgrade, it is not economically feasible for them to put in the time or money to invest in an update in their software.

New User
    Ok I have a work around, It seams to me after creating ticket that Neptune needs to get ahold of one of these units so they can get the Kelvin values into apex fusion.

What you need to look at is the basic view in apex fusion or outlet setup if your going to your apex's webpage, from there the tdata is what controls the individual channels among other things.

................time,x,x,%, red,_g,__b,_rb,uv,cw, ww,v,x,x
    tdata 09:30:00,0,0,40,100,100,100,0,0,100,100,0,0,0

The percentage is referring to the overall brightness after the time of day, I'm not sure what the ''x'' values represent, but the important one here is the ww for the warm white channel that is missing.

From what I gather the warm white is the least useful channel as far as plant health is concerned, but considering it makes for 30% of this lights output it might be useful. What warm covers the spectrum that human eyes see best, just my 2 cents.

My WXM config.:
    Rev 1.15, RF Rev 1.2 (1,1,1,1),(2,3,3),(250,0,0)
    Vortech - Rev 255.255 OK-1
    Radion_Aqua - Rev 2.2.15 - OK
    Radion_Terra - Rev 2.2.15 - OK

Frequent Visitor
    Add me to the list of people using the new freshwater Radion with an Apex. Adding the module was very easy but it does appear to go “missing” frequently. I am heading out on a vacation but will report back when I return.

New User
    You can add me to this list now as well. I've had an Apex classic and WXM for six or so years on another tank and recently upgraded to a Red Sea Reefer 750XXL with Radion XR15FW G4's and am pretty disappointed to see that these new lights are not even supported. Really hoping to see Neptune step up and add support for their freshwater userbase.

New User
    So far the work around has been working just need to make sure the warm white channel in the “tdata” isn’t set to zero which it defaults to.

New User
    Quote Originally Posted by Gmcman View Post
    So far the work around has been working just need to make sure the warm white channel in the “tdata” isn’t set to zero which it defaults to.
    Thanks gmcman. I'll update my basic code to activate the warm white channel for now

Regular Vistor
    Why is it that any time you go to edit here it deletes the post? It's getting very old.

So what's up with the work around? I was about to spend 1000 on an Apex, however if the Reeflink is Superior for the fresh water then I will take my money elsewhere. I was going to use Apex to use 1 controller, and payng double the other route, and losing humidity sensing to do it.

Regular Vistor
    Someone should also update the pre sales lighting guide, and tell BRS to update their listing. Every bit of info shows all Radions being controllable, and well as seen here that isn't true. IMO.

Frequent Visitor
    I think that anyone who wants Apex to work with the FW Radions, should contact Neptune Support. If more people complain then maybe they will do something about it and that's basically what they told me. I really don't care for the Reeflink as it is hard to setup and their program is not really that flexible. It's really is a pain to make any changes to your program, especially if you want to lower or increase your lighting. You make one little change and it effects your whole setup. If I don't make any changes, it's works great. I really like the Apex but I use it for everything like my Co2, Pump, PH and Temperature Probes, etc. I can also coordinate all the different things attached to the Apex. If the PH drops, the Co2 turns off. If the temperature goes too high, the lights and Co2 shuts off. If you plan to only use it for your lights, it's not worth it. If you are planning to have it manage everything on your tank, to me it's worth it if you can afford it. The Reeflink is only about $100 so its not too expensive compared to the Apex. I don't think the Reeflink actually turns off the lights so you probably will have to also by a timer if you don't get an Apex.

Regular Vistor
    Quote Originally Posted by lang510 View Post
    I think that anyone who wants Apex to work with the FW Radions, should contact Neptune Support. If more people complain then maybe they will do something about it and that's basically what they told me. I really don't care for the Reeflink as it is hard to setup and their program is not really that flexible. It's really is a pain to make any changes to your program, especially if you want to lower or increase your lighting. You make one little change and it effects your whole setup. If I don't make any changes, it's works great. I really like the Apex but I use it for everything like my Co2, Pump, PH and Temperature Probes, etc. I can also coordinate all the different things attached to the Apex. If the PH drops, the Co2 turns off. If the temperature goes too high, the lights and Co2 shuts off. If you plan to only use it for your lights, it's not worth it. If you are planning to have it manage everything on your tank, to me it's worth it if you can afford it. The Reeflink is only about $100 so its not too expensive compared to the Apex. I don't think the Reeflink actually turns off the lights so you probably will have to also by a timer if you don't get an Apex.
    Well thats the thing with me, I was going to have it control my entire setup, which I still lose features I need (Humidity monitor) by doing so, however it was worth it to have it all in the 1 centralized place, even at 2x the price of the other way. However if it wont control my lights, there is no point, I am better served by other controllers. The apex controlling it all gave me random storms, if the lights are there, that cant happen and I will keep my 1000 and spend it elsewhere.

I did write them, as well. Still think its pretty absurd honestly they haven't already added this. For the cost of these systems, they should care about their community needs, and this isn't that rare of a need. There is likely tons of people using the lights, not even realizing they are losing 1/3 of their lights. Because Bulk Reef supply, and the lighting thread here, both say they work. Also been documenting my idea setup, and have a lot of people watching it and interested in an Apex due to me, who I have to go and tell now, never mind Apex doesn't care to update a couple light channels. I guarantee they would get a whole lot more complaints about this, if BRS and the lighting thing in presales didn't lead people to believe this issue doesn't exist. I stumbled upon this by sheer chance, or I would have got the whole setup with out even knowing. As BRS told me to get this for the radions and a T5 dimmable, their site shows the FW as fully apex compatible and the lighting guide says All Radions fully controllable.

I will notify BRS, and like I said if a mod reads this, you should update the lighting guide. All radions includes FW radions!

That said have you tried this fix vs a reeflink? of editing the Tdata? Does it work fully, I dont care if the sliders dont match up, or if setup takes a little more work thats fine. If my LED will be forever dimmer, than that really isnt worth it to me.

Frequent Visitor
    No I haven't. I have no idea how to set it up. I may contact Gmcman to see if can help me try it.

Regular Vistor
    No I haven't. I have no idea how to set it up. I may contact Gmcman to see if can help me try it.
    I dont think he is here no more lol.

However, I think you just go into the programming mode, and edit your tdata where the warm white is located.

Frequent Visitor
    I don't know where to go but I'll research and see if I can find it.

Regular Vistor
    I don't know where to go but I'll research and see if I can find it.
    Let me know what you find out please don't forget about me lol.

If it doesn't work, then I need to find a new solution.

Frequent Visitor
    Quote Originally Posted by cyberlocc View Post
    Let me know what you find out please don't forget about me lol.

If it doesn't work, then I need to find a new solution.
    Will do.

New User
    Yes you do have to go into the configuration and make changes, which means manual data input is supported but the sliders arn’t. So you will never see the slider for WW. And if you make changes out side of the tdata you’ll loose the WW channel. I make the changes to my liking then mirror the WW to CW and save the t data changes. The reason I chose the apex was I already had the setup for my reef and decided I wanted to use the freshwater light later.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast