Thread: About to purchase 2016 Apex but have some module questions

New User

Question About to purchase 2016 Apex but have some module questions

Hi folks. Apex newbie here. I've been reefing for over 12 years but have never had a controller. Hopefully thats about to change.

I am about to purchase the 2016 Apex but I need to know what modules I need to buy. Aside from what the Apex controls out of the box I need to control 2 more pieces of equipment. My 2 MP40s, which I originally thought I needed the EcoTech VXM module. Now it's sounding like I can control these with the VDM module.

My lights seem a bit trickier. I have two AI Hydra 52s - NOT HD. Currently I have been using the AI Director which at this point is working well. It seems that there was an AMW module that had this capability but I've come to find out that it has been discontinued.

So what module do I need for controlling AI Hydra 52s non-HD? The VDM?

That's a lot of text to ask which module(s) do I need to control 2 EcoTech MP40s and 2 AI Hydra non-HD lights? Will I get the control abilities in Fusion that are offered on AI Director?

I'd really like to pull the trigger on this purchase but I'm not 100% positive on what I need.

Thanks in advance!

Chris

Frequent Visitor
    You need a WXM module to control the vortechs.

Unfortunately, without tracking down a used AWM module, you won't be able to control the hydras

New User
    Interesting. So if that was the case, Neptune has decided not to support any of the Hydra series?

Frequent Visitor
    The new 2016 model has the capability to control the hydra HDs without an additional module. that functionality is not yet released though. The older non-HD hydras are not controllable in the same way and require the AWM module.

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news

Frequent Visitor
    Quote Originally Posted by Spikewire View Post
    Hi folks. I posted this in presales as well. I'm sorry for the xpost but I'm looking to get as much information as possible before I spend a large amount of money on the Apex system.

Apex newbie here. I've been reefing for over 12 years but have never had a controller. Hopefully thats about to change.

I am about to purchase the 2016 Apex but I need to know what modules I need to buy. Aside from what the Apex controls out of the box I need to control 2 more pieces of equipment. My 2 MP40s, which I originally thought I needed the EcoTech VXM module. Now it's sounding like I can control these with the VDM module.

My lights seem a bit trickier. I have two AI Hydra 52s - NOT HD. Currently I have been using the AI Director which at this point is working well. It seems that there was an AMW module that had this capability but I've come to find out that it has been discontinued.

So what module do I need for controlling AI Hydra 52s non-HD? The VDM?

That's a lot of text to ask which module(s) do I need to control 2 EcoTech MP40s and 2 AI Hydra non-HD lights? Will I get the control abilities in Fusion that are offered on AI Director?

I'd really like to pull the trigger on this purchase but I'm not 100% positive on what I need.

You need the AWM to control the old Hydras via an Apex. Neptune must be coming out with a new module to replace the AWM.....I would guess. Either wait (good luck with that) and see what happens or pick up an AWM on eBay or some other site that may still have one in stock. I know they are to be had on eBay. Or find a hobbyist site that has a selling/buying/trading forum and see if you can pick up one used.