Thread: Salinity Alarm

New User

Salinity Alarm

I am brand new to Apex controllers, I just purchased the 2016 model. I keep getting a salinity alarm that says:

FRM:Apex Fusion
    SUBJ:Apex Fusion Alarm: REEF_TANK
    MSGate: 2017-05-16 18:46:47 -0700
    Statement: If Salt < 32.0 Then ON (32.9)

My interpretation of the message is that my alarm is set to notify me when salinity is below 32.0 and that the number in parenthesis is the actual reading, is that correct? If so, why am I getting an alarm if the actual reading is above 32?

Frequent Visitor riverchemistry's Avatar
    Yes, that's correct. that (32.9) is what the Salt was at the moment of that time stamp. It's possible that the Salt did just hit 32.0 and bounced back up 32.9. If this occurs alot I would add a 'defer' statement to your emails.

Defer 01:00 then ON

What this means is UNLESS the reading actually reads 32.0 for LONGER than 1 minute do not send me emails. So you can avoid spikes or quick drops like this.

Regular Vistor
    The same thing can also be done for heaters and other outlets.

New User
    I am new to Apex controllers and purchased the 2016 model. My salinity probe calibrated fine but alarmed almost immediately. I checked the tank with a refractometer and the salinity was fine and decided to Waite and see if the probe would settle. Over the past few days the numbers has steadily risen from from 40.1 to 50.7. I disconnected and reconnected but it picked up where it left off. Any ideas?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Regular Vistor
    yes. It where do you add the defer statement?

Frequent Contributor iamchadster's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by cvnutter View Post
    I am new to Apex controllers and purchased the 2016 model. My salinity probe calibrated fine but alarmed almost immediately. I checked the tank with a refractometer and the salinity was fine and decided to Waite and see if the probe would settle. Over the past few days the numbers has steadily risen from from 40.1 to 50.7. I disconnected and reconnected but it picked up where it left off. Any ideas?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Start a new thread with your question/issue, you will likely get a reply much quicker.
    Chad

Frequent Contributor iamchadster's Avatar
    Defer statements are one of the few that don't matter where they are placed in your coding. If you want a defer on the alarm that's being sent you would place it in the email outlet by going to the advance programming section of the email outlet and putting there. The defer will apply to the entire outlet and all of it's coding.

However, keep in mind there is a risk by putting the statement there. For example, let's say a a leak develops in your system and you place the defer statement in your email alarm then your email will wait for a minute before alerting you. Depending on the leak that could be a lot of water on the floor etc. A better way IMO, would be to go to your inputs page (the little icon that looks like a thermometer) and set your trigger alarm properly. Maybe make the your zone bigger so that the occasional dip in reading won't send you that notification. Use either one, but not both and IMO the trigger alarms on the probes are simpler to set up and less prone to user error.

Argh, I didn't see the date of the thread. Too early in the a.m....., boozeman27 there is a great section in the CRM located under NS documentation about defer. It's pretty straightforward, but I would review it.
    Chad

Quote Originally Posted by iamchadster View Post
    Defer statements are one of the few that don't matter where they are placed in your coding. If you want a defer on the alarm that's being sent you would place it in the email outlet by going to the advance programming section of the email outlet and putting there. The defer will apply to the entire outlet and all of it's coding.

However, keep in mind there is a risk by putting the statement there. For example, let's say a a leak develops in your system and you place the defer statement in your email alarm then your email will wait for a minute before alerting you. Depending on the leak that could be a lot of water on the floor etc. A better way IMO, would be to go to your inputs page (the little icon that looks like a thermometer) and set your trigger alarm properly. Maybe make the your zone bigger so that the occasional dip in reading won't send you that notification. Use either one, but not both and IMO the trigger alarms on the probes are simpler to set up and less prone to user error.

Argh, I didn't see the date of the thread. Too early in the a.m....., boozeman27 there is a great section in the CRM located under NS documentation about defer. It's pretty straightforward, but I would review it.
    There is never a risk if you make the defer short. A 5 second defer will make no difference in how quickly you can respond to a problem, but eliminates false positives from natural transient spikes. I personally use a 1 minute defer.

You might be an engineer if...You have no life and can prove it mathematically.

You might also look to see what's causing the transient spikes and remedy that. Is it the ATO dumping fresh water in just upstream of the probe? Are there micro bubbles building up int eh probe from the skimmer? Is a heater leaking power while turned on and causing a false reading? Etc.