Thread: Icecap and Gyre 250 and VarioS with Apex 2016

New User

Icecap and Gyre 250 and VarioS with Apex 2016

Hello guys:

I am about to purchase the new Apex Controller 2016, the Maxspect Gyre XF250, the IceCap module and the VarioS4 return Pump.
    I have some questions since I am not fully on APEX yet:

1-Do I need to purchase the Gyre 250 WITH the new advanced controller from Maxspect? Or just the pump option and the icecap module? My intention is to run the gyre XF250 ONLY with APEX.

2-Can I fully program the Gyre with different modes at different times (for example: one mode one day, some other mode the next day) like pulse, direct, reverse, etc? Or it will only run in one mode with APEX?

3-I will be purchasing one Y 0-10v Cable (2 UTP to plug cable) for the Gyre and VarioS4 pumps, do I need 1 or 2 cables? Do I need anything else?

4-My country uses 220v, I will be purchasing the 110v APEX 2016 since there is no 220v option available for the new 2016 version, so I will purchase a 220v to 110v transformer (like a 110v Power Supply to plug the Power Bar, I know these pumps run with 24v dc, Pumps power suply are all 100-240v so I shouldn't have any problem with that, is that ok?

Thank you guys in advance!

Steve.

Frequent Visitor
    You could get just the gyre pump since you want the ice cap interface module.
    however having the controller just in case you decide to use it on another tank would be a good option.

for Y 0-10v cables, I believe you need two of them. One for the Varios pump and one for the ice cap module.

i haven't integrated my gyres into the apex so I cannot comment on the programming you ask about, though I am sure there is a way to program days with different modes as you wish.

good luck and happy reefing

New User
    Thank you Bluewater

I read the icecap manual and that clarified me a lot of things, there is a Y cable included, I beliebe I can use that cable to control both Gyre and VarioS pumps, is that right?
    Also..still need to know if there will be any issues with 220v to 110v power supply..

Frequent Visitor
    The Y cable can be used for,the gyre OR the Varios model pumps.
    you would still need to order an additional Y cable I believe so that each devise has its own variable speed port and cable.

the 110 / 220 issue I am not sure about honestly. I would think that an adapter would need to be used in your case.
    you can however call or email Coral Vue directly asking about this as they may have the power adapters you need.

i hope I am helping answer at least some of your questions
    good luck and happy reefing
    bluewaterLa / Mike

Quote Originally Posted by BluewaterLa View Post
    The Y cable can be used for,the gyre OR the Varios model pumps.
    you would still need to order an additional Y cable I believe so that each devise has its own variable speed port and cable.
    The Y cable may be used with a Gyre and a VarioS.
    Please do not send me PMs with technical questions or requesting assistance - use the forums for Apex help. PM me ONLY if the matter is of a private or personal nature. Thanks.

Frequent Visitor
    so you are saying that a single Y cable will run a single gyre and a single Varios pump ?

one Y cable can run two Varios pumps OR two gyres on ice cap interface modules.

Yes. One Y-cable can interface with any two compatible pumps in any combination.
    Please do not send me PMs with technical questions or requesting assistance - use the forums for Apex help. PM me ONLY if the matter is of a private or personal nature. Thanks.

Frequent Visitor
    Quote Originally Posted by RussM View Post
    Yes. One Y-cable can interface with any two compatible pumps in any combination.
    I see what you are saying and agree with you as I know this can be done.
    for some reason I was told it isn't recommended. I will though swing by there tomorrow and get the full scoop from the tech and will report back.

i initially wanted one cable to control both as my understanding was one pump would be connected or controlled by variable speed 1 and the other variable speed two ( for example )
    i do have one Varios 6 and Varios 2 plus two gyre 250's at this time, maybe if I can't get the full scoop on the recommendation to keep either gyres OR Varios on the same cable I will experiment and see why the heck not

thanks for for the information Russ, I know where I'm headed in the morning haha

Frequent Visitor
    RussM is correct. I have two Maxspect Gyres (controlled from Apex via two IceCap modules). The extra Y cable I got in the second Icecap module I will use to control a VarioS arriving this week.

My LFS sold me the Maxspect controller too and I experimented with it first. I quickly realized you absolutely do not need the Maxspect controller. I will also say that for me programming the gyres via Apex was much simpler than using the Maxspect controller. Your mileage may vary. One minor point to consider is that the Maxspect controller can run one Gyre pump in both directions. Apex via one interface module only runs in one direction. That is why I have two gyre pumps, one on each end of the tank. By cycling time and speed of the two pumps from Apex I can control the flow just as I wanted.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Frequent Visitor
    Got it all wrapped up and twisted here.
    no argument over what the Y cable can connect to or can't.
    i was reading the first post again and noticed the OP stated a single gyre and Varios pump, my mishap. I defaulted to thinking of two gyres - one Varios and one Y cable.

after talking to the tech again today for a while, I quickly realized where my brain took a left turn during his explanation of the Y cable two plus years ago. Before the Varios model pumps he and I discussed the Y cable, ice cap module and gyre pumps. What was said is that the Y cable will run 2 gyres W/ individual modules OR two like pumps that use 0-10v ports.
    this didn't mean that the two pumps on the Y cable had to be same
    so my twisted brain cells have been untangled

thanks for the information and clarification guys.

New User
    Quote Originally Posted by Charles0dxb View Post
    Your mileage may vary. One minor point to consider is that the Maxspect controller can run one Gyre pump in both directions. Apex via one interface module only runs in one direction...
    Is this true? Only one direction possible with APEX and ICECAP?
    I am looking to run the gyre in both directions with the APEX 2016 controller...can that be accomplished in any way?

New User
    From this video..I understand the apex CAN run the gyre in 2 different modes:

...but I am not sure which one is the single ended cable..or if they (Coralvue) provide this..or where can it be acquired

Frequent Visitor
    Just bought two ice cap interface modules today. They come with the Y cables inside the box with each module.
    the Y cable is only able to operate the gyre in one direction.

if you want the reverse gyre function you will have to purchase the single cable for this purpose. It will use one variable speed port to control direction of the pump and another variable speed port to control pump speed.

New User
    Yes, that is correct, I also asked today to coralvue

This is the cable:

http://www.coralvue.com/alternate-gy...terface-module

New User
    Sorry to bring up an old thread, but Skull was asking questions I am interested in as well. My intent would be to purchase two XF250's and two Icecap modules to run on my Apex. I'm confused with some of the answers in this thread as Skull would need a power supply to run these, and currently the power supply does not come in the box if you only order the pump only, without the controller. Looking at various vendors, I only see power supplies packaged with the pump and controller. Were items packaged differently when this thread originated or am I wrong about the power supply.

Frequent Visitor
    Quote Originally Posted by Tarpon1965 View Post
    Sorry to bring up an old thread, but Skull was asking questions I am interested in as well. My intent would be to purchase two XF250's and two Icecap modules to run on my Apex. I'm confused with some of the answers in this thread as Skull would need a power supply to run these, and currently the power supply does not come in the box if you only order the pump only, without the controller. Looking at various vendors, I only see power supplies packaged with the pump and controller. Were items packaged differently when this thread originated or am I wrong about the power supply.
    You would have to purchase the power supplies separate if you plan to order just the Gyre's in pump only option.
    cost saving by not purchasing the package with controller is a personal choice I would NOT make being you get the controller and its valuable for trouble shooting the motor blocks or needing to replace bearings. The first step to ruling out a motor block, GIM or apex issue would be to run the gyre on the factory controller.
    Plus having the controller give you the option to run the gyres without the apex if there is an issue with the apex itself OR you choose to utilize your VS ports for something else.
    My Apex classic fried unexpectedly and I was very glad to have had the factory controller for a few weeks.
    Just food for thought.

New User
    BluewaterLa, thanks for the reply and confirming my thoughts. I plan to order the XF250 kit with controller, a XF250 pump only, and two of the Icecap modules today.

Quote Originally Posted by Tarpon1965 View Post
    BluewaterLa, thanks for the reply and confirming my thoughts. I plan to order the XF250 kit with controller, a XF250 pump only, and two of the Icecap modules today.
    I would suggest getting a power supply from amazon. Maxspect charges $50 bucks for theirs and you can get literally the exact same supply on amazon for $13. You need two power supplies.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk