Thread: Using of an Apex 2016 in Europe

New User

Using of an Apex 2016 in Europe

Quick question, I'll be moving in Germany this summer and I plan to still use my Apex over there. I will of course use a step-down transformer to be able to use it properly.

So my question is : how many watts this transformer should be able to handle ?

Envoyé de mon iPhone en utilisant Tapatalk

That depends on your number of modules and EB's you have connected. Is everything connected to your Apex or is some equipment plugged directly into an outlet? That will have to be calculated in the total as well. Each EB-8 is rated upto 15Amps at 120V (1800 Watts). The rest of the Apex modules only need small amounts of power compared to that. So if you have 2 EB-8's and 4 other devices direct connected getting a step down transformer in the 3600-4000 watt range should work out well with plenty of overhead.

New User
    I'm using 1 EB832. I'm using the 8 outlets + 1 1link for my DOS

Envoyé de mon iPhone en utilisant Tapatalk

Then 1800-2000 watts should be enough and give you a little overhead but not a ton. If you plan to add more equipment I would suggest getting stuff that is 240V so it doesn't have to be put on your stepdown then if it is Apex compatible you can still hook up the control lines from the apex to control the device.

Regular Vistor
    Hi. I am from malaysia and my country uses 240v too. I am thinking of the same method too to use a step down transformer to run the us version apex neptune 2016. My pump of choice will be Vectra L1 and 2x WAV.. since both is rated 100V-240V i asusme i can directly plug into my power outlet instead of connecting to the power bar? Can i still control the pump from apex if i draw power direct from the wall plug? Any kind of advice will be apreciated. Thank you

The Vetra L1 is not Apex controllable. You will have to control it through the Ecotech app or their cloud interface. The WAV plug directly into the EB832 or 1Link module. The EB832 will provide the needed power for the WAV pumps without any other needs. The 1Link power brick is 240v compatible and could be plugged directly in to the wall and control will still come from the Apex. You would still need a stepdown for the EB832.

Regular Vistor
    Hi Krazie4Acans. First of all please allow me to say a big thank you for the advice. I am glad that someone is in the same shoe as me and can give me some insights of the setup. Currently my plan is to have the following apex
    system:

-Apex 2016 with EB832 (Using step down transformer)
    -Neptune WAV to be connected via 1Link
    -Neptune DOS to be connected via Aquabus
    -Vectra L1 Return pump to be connected directly to main power point (No control from apex)
    -3 x Radion XR30G4 to be connected to WMX then WXM to EB832 via Aquabus (Power directly connnect to the main power socket)

I do intent to add on ATK and Flow sensor too. I believe those i can connect direct to the main power and control via aquabus too?

I have create a simple diagram to show the connection. If there is anyone familiar with the matter please kindly advice me if the diagram planning is correct? What is am trying to achieve is i am trying to hook up those equipment that draw high power directly to the main power source and control via aquabus, and for those lower power consumption equipment i can directly connect to EB832 to run it at 120V? Any advice will be great.

Another question i have is i am planning to use either NYOS Quantum 220 or 300 Protein skimmer. Should i connect the power to the main source or to EB832 for now? I do intent to change to UK Power bar in the future when it is out so i can hook my chiller to it too.

You can take a look at my diagram at http://s441.photobucket.com/user/ck_...j0q2l.png.html

Hope to seek some advice from u guys... Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by ckng2000 View Post
    Hi Krazie4Acans. First of all please allow me to say a big thank you for the advice. I am glad that someone is in the same shoe as me and can give me some insights of the setup. Currently my plan is to have the following apex
    system:

-Apex 2016 with EB832 (Using step down transformer)
    -Neptune WAV to be connected via 1Link
    -Neptune DOS to be connected via Aquabus
    -Vectra L1 Return pump to be connected directly to main power point (No control from apex)
    -3 x Radion XR30G4 to be connected to WMX then WXM to EB832 via Aquabus (Power directly connnect to the main power socket)

I do intent to add on ATK and Flow sensor too. I believe those i can connect direct to the main power and control via aquabus too?

I have create a simple diagram to show the connection. If there is anyone familiar with the matter please kindly advice me if the diagram planning is correct? What is am trying to achieve is i am trying to hook up those equipment that draw high power directly to the main power source and control via aquabus, and for those lower power consumption equipment i can directly connect to EB832 to run it at 120V? Any advice will be great.

Another question i have is i am planning to use either NYOS Quantum 220 or 300 Protein skimmer. Should i connect the power to the main source or to EB832 for now? I do intent to change to UK Power bar in the future when it is out so i can hook my chiller to it too.

You can take a look at my diagram at http://s441.photobucket.com/user/ck_...j0q2l.png.html

Hope to seek some advice from u guys... Thanks!
    Why not just get a current version EB6 for now? That will give you 6 controllable outlets for UK plugs and the EB832 will cover any American plug devices you want plus the WAV, DOS, and expansion for 24V accessories.

No sense waiting for the new version EB6 when you already have the extra features it has covered with the EB832

You might be an engineer if...You have no life and can prove it mathematically.

Regular Vistor
    Oh so the older UK EB6 is compatible with the new Apex unit? I am not aware of that. Never see any posting that people use the new APEX with the old EB. And also to my understanding the new EB will have energy monitoring which i think it's quite useful. Plus the house is under renovation now and i only plan to start cycle my tank in 3 months from now so i though i still have some time to wait for the new EB.