Thread: Radion XR30W G4 Pro Turns on at Full Power

Regular Vistor

Radion XR30W G4 Pro Turns on at Full Power

I am running the Apex 2016 model, a WXM and a PM2 along with a mix of EB832 and EB8 energy bars. The Apex brain, PM2 and the WXM are running the latest firmware.

I have 1 Radion XR30W G4 Pro and 7 Radion XR30W G3 Pro lights (I splashed a light and decided to replace it with the G4Pro).

I have the power supplies for all Radions plugged into an EB8. I turn the power supplies on 5 minutes before the light schedule turns on the lights (starts ramping from 0). I turn the power supplies off 5 minutes after the light schedule has ramped down to 0.

When the power supplies for the Radion XR30W G3 Pro lights turn on, there are no issues and the lights run fine (stay at 0 and then ramp up), provided the power supply for the G4 is off.

When the power supply for the Radion XR30W G4 Pro turns on the G4 immediately turns on and goes to what looks like 100% power. After one minute, the light dims back down to 0 and starts the ramp up.

When the power supply for the Radion XR30W G4 Pro turns on, any light G3 that with a energized power supply immediately turns on goes to what looks like 100% power. After a minute or so, all lights dim back down to 0 and start the ramp up.

Has anyone else seen this issue?

New User
    Just curious why have the radions on an outlet? These lights are very sophisticated and may not like the constant on off with their power supplies.

Regular Vistor
    The power supplies are on outlets because if the lights have power, they run the cooling fan regardless of the lighting cycle. I have two issues with this: Fan noise and 24 hour a day power usage.

I turn the power supplies on 5 minutes before the lights start to Ramp-up. I turn the power supplies off 5 minutes after the lights are ramped down.

New User
    Mine don't run any fans when the lights are all the way off. Despite your desire to cut the power the issue of them "booting up" still applies. My g4's do the same thing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Regular Vistor
    Quote Originally Posted by lookforhisface View Post
    Mine don't run any fans when the lights are all the way off. Despite your desire to cut the power the issue of them "booting up" still applies. My g4's do the same thing.
    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    You are saying that you have power to the power supplies 24/7 and when the lights are at 0%, the fans are not running?

When my Radions (G3 or G4) are at 0% and the power supply is energized, the fan on the light runs and the fan runs until the there is no power to the power supply. Do your G4s ramp smoothly from 0%? My 1 G4 goes from 0% to 100%, stays at 100% for 1 minute then drops down to 1%.

New User
    The radions weren't designed to have their power supplies turned off and on. If you had a reeflink theres no way to turn the power off on the power supplies as the reeflink doesn't control any plugs.

If I cut the power to the radion via a power strip and turn them back on they will go through what i think is a self test. Part of that test is the lights coming on full power then back off to whatever setting they are programmed to be at. Probably to calibrate and test the drivers. Then the radion accepts the wireless signal in which then the light goes to whatever setting you've got on the apex.

As far as the fan goes I almost NEVER see the fan even running on my tank. I've got two XR15 G4's and the only time I ever saw the fans on is when the house was real hot.