Thread: Add On/Off Toggle on ATK?

Regular Vistor

Add On/Off Toggle on ATK?

So I pre-ordered the ATK today but I have one small concern. I currently have a on/off toggle switch between by eb8 port and my ato pump plug. This allows me to easily turn off the ato pump when I am messing in the sump without having to open up a web browser. There are on/off switches for usb ports. Would this be a problem with the ATK if I turned the unit on/off frequently with a usb toggle?

Quote Originally Posted by MockandRoll View Post
    There are on/off switches for usb ports. Would this be a problem with the ATK if I turned the unit on/off frequently with a usb toggle?
    There are no USB ports; what look like USB ports are not USB - they are Aquabus. Aquabus ports do not have on/off switches. So it's unclear what you are referring to.
    Please do not send me PMs with technical questions or requesting assistance - use the forums for Apex help. PM me ONLY if the matter is of a private or personal nature. Thanks.

Regular Vistor
    Quote Originally Posted by RussM View Post
    There are no USB ports; what look like USB ports are not USB - they are Aquabus. Aquabus ports do not have on/off switches. So it's unclear what you are referring to.
    Ok. Then how would you recommend adding a toggle switch to the ATK? I would prefer to add one between 1-link PMUP connector and the FMM. Is the name of the PMUP connector a 4-pin 12V ATX? I really don't want to DIY a toggle switch but that might be my only option.

Frequent Visitor
    Ok. Then how would you recommend adding a toggle switch to the ATK? I would prefer to add one between 1-link PMUP connector and the FMM. Is the name of the PMUP connector a 4-pin 12V ATX? I really don't want to DIY a toggle switch but that might be my only option.
    couldn't you just plug the power supply for the ATK into a non-apex switched outlet?

Regular Vistor
    I thought the FFM module gets its power from the aquabus connector. Do you still need the power adapter if connected to apex through aquabus?

Frequent Visitor
    I thought the FFM module gets its power from the aquabus connector. Do you still need the power adapter if connected to apex through aquabus?
    the module gets its power from the aquabus, correct. but the PMUP gets its power from the power supply plugged into the FMM.

Regular Vistor
    Great. Problem solved! Thanks for your help. I also have a programming question posted in the dos subforum about changing dosing amounts in relation to pH but have not received a response from apex. Can you forward that to the appropriate personnel?

Frequent Visitor
    Great. Problem solved! Thanks for your help. I also have a programming question posted in the dos subforum about changing dosing amounts in relation to pH but have not received a response from apex. Can you forward that to the appropriate personnel?
    I don't work for Neptune, just a hobbyist like you

Frequent Visitor
    So ... stupid question ... But why don't you use a feed to stop atk ?
    If you have a free port on BoB you can connect a switch or a press button and thats it

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

Regular Vistor
    Quote Originally Posted by Ikserk View Post
    I don't work for Neptune, just a hobbyist like you
    Double thanks then!

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Rui Manuel Gaspar View Post
    So ... stupid question ... But why don't you use a feed to stop atk ?
    If you have a free port on BoB you can connect a switch or a press button and thats it

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk
    A $2 on/off toggle on the PMUP power is the same thing

A $2 on/off toggle on the PMUP power is the same thing
    Not really - putting a switch in the PMUP power cord will void the warranty, and has less flexibility compared to using a Feed Cycle or switch connected to a BoB to keep the PMUP off while doing maintenance. For example, if you forget to turn the switch in the powers cord back on, the Apex has no way of knowing the PMUP isn't running. By doing it in a manner that uses the Apex to hold the PMUP off, you can do much more, like having it programmed to be off for a set period of time, or to alert you if it's off for too long (like you forgot to flip the toggle switch back on when done with maintenance.
    Please do not send me PMs with technical questions or requesting assistance - use the forums for Apex help. PM me ONLY if the matter is of a private or personal nature. Thanks.

Regular Vistor
    How would putting a toggle on/off switch between power supply for the FFM and the eb8 outlet void the warranty? I would not be modifying any cords. If I forget to turn the switch back on, once the tank tops off again, the run time fail safe will be hit since the pump has no power and the sump will not fill thus triggering a text/email alert. Even if the on/off switch is connected to a BoB, I would still need to toggle the switch back on manually.

It sounded like you were talking about putting a switch right in the PMUP power cord. Sorry for my misunderstanding.

Regular Vistor
    No worries. Thanks again for your help!

Frequent Visitor
    If the switch is on a BOB you could tie it to a VO that sends an alerting its on for a certain period of time, catching it much quicker and not relying on water Evan to make it happen. Or use the VO to shut it off for a given length of time and when that time is up the ato turns on. You would then need to turn the switch off and back on the next time you wanted to us it, or make it a momentary switch.

regardless, you have much more control when you tie things to a controller. That's all Russ was trying to let you know