Thread: Power supply - ice cap GIM

Frequent Visitor

Power supply - ice cap GIM

Bare with me for a moment.
    i have two gyre 250's on the new controller powered by one power supply.
    After giving some thought into control I purchased two of the ice cap modules.
    Having one power supply capable of running two gyres with the new controller I decided to grab a cable used to extend the battery back up power cords.
    This cord is simply two male headphone jacks run into one female.

my question is this.
    Could powering both ice cap modules off of this power Y cable connected to the power brick be enough to run both pumps ?

I tried it and received power to both modules, the pumps would only run at low speed with zero control.
    **I found out that I did not have things configured/ programmed correctly to be able to control the speed**
    so after having to go back and re flash both modules to remove the many error codes, I picked up another power brick and cord just in case.

what I am trying to accomplish is power both off of one power brick like the new controller does and eliminate the extra wires/ plug.

Question two I have
    should I have all virtual outlets, profiles created and variable speed ports programmed before plugging in the modules to the apex?

question three..
    simply plugging in this module via 0-10V to variable speed port without programming, would the manual command from 0-100% on the variable port work for testing purposes ?

Regular Vistor
    Your best bet would be to look at both bricks and see the output of them. If the Icecap has less output then I would say no. I would use the brick that came with the new controller as that is intended for 2. Using the Y cable is fine you just wont be able to use a backup.

You do not need to setup any virtual outlets to test, just use the wizard to set a constant speed (of your choice) then turn the outlet off connect your Gyre's and turn it back on. Run them to 100% and if all is well then program what you want it to do.

Frequent Visitor
    Ok so I figured out the problem I was having with the Ice Cap modules.
    I still need to check and see if one power brick will supply the needed power to both pumps through the ICM because I am just running separate power bricks for each gyre 250.

The speed of the gyre's not going above 20% power and not responding to the 0-10V ports being commanded to 100% issue has been solved.
    I picked up two new modules and had the same issue, determined it wasnt my apex with the problem because I could use the Y cable to run my Varios 6 pump just fine on either port, I decided to open up the modules and give a look.

What I found was that the connections for most of the wires on the circuit board were pushed too far into the screw in connectors thus the wire coating was jammed between the contacts and keeping the wire from getting a solid connection.
    I backed the fastener screws up on all connections and made sure that the proper amount was inserted and tightened them all back up correctly.
    Guess what happened..... YUP they worked correctly just as they were supposed to.
    So after chasing my tail I finally found the issue and corrected it myself so if anyone is having issues like this with their Ice Cap Modules just remove the sticker on the face and remove the four screws to get the face plate off. Two screws hold the circuit board down and check the connections of the wire to ensure a proper connection and there isnt just wire insulation slammed in the contact ports.

Regular Vistor
    Quote Originally Posted by BluewaterLa View Post
    Ok so I figured out the problem I was having with the Ice Cap modules.
    I still need to check and see if one power brick will supply the needed power to both pumps through the ICM because I am just running separate power bricks for each gyre 250.

The speed of the gyre's not going above 20% power and not responding to the 0-10V ports being commanded to 100% issue has been solved.
    I picked up two new modules and had the same issue, determined it wasnt my apex with the problem because I could use the Y cable to run my Varios 6 pump just fine on either port, I decided to open up the modules and give a look.

What I found was that the connections for most of the wires on the circuit board were pushed too far into the screw in connectors thus the wire coating was jammed between the contacts and keeping the wire from getting a solid connection.
    I backed the fastener screws up on all connections and made sure that the proper amount was inserted and tightened them all back up correctly.
    Guess what happened..... YUP they worked correctly just as they were supposed to.
    So after chasing my tail I finally found the issue and corrected it myself so if anyone is having issues like this with their Ice Cap Modules just remove the sticker on the face and remove the four screws to get the face plate off. Two screws hold the circuit board down and check the connections of the wire to ensure a proper connection and there isnt just wire insulation slammed in the contact ports.
    So all is good running 2- 250 gyres and 2 icecap modules off of 1 power supply now?

Frequent Visitor
    Quote Originally Posted by IN 2 DEEP View Post
    So all is good running 2- 250 gyres and 2 icecap modules off of 1 power supply now?
    I left the two power bricks connected / plugged in, so each Ice cap module / gyre pair has its own power brick.
    I never tested to see if one power brick would run the both of them like the New controller does. Suppose it would work being that one is strong enough to run two gyres with the new Maxspect controller.
    Sorry for waiting so long to reply.