Thread: ATK Question

New User

ATK Question

I just purchased the ATK and i have questions.

1) The instructions read green light = pumping water and blue light = normal operation. since i set this up the light has stayed green and i would think it should only be green when the water is pumping and then switch back to blue. what should it be?

2) Why does this module always switch to the off position. this is the programming that Apex has automatically set up. please advise

Fallback OFF
    Set OFF
    If Swx16_1 OPEN Then ON
    If Swx16_2 CLOSED Then OFF
    When On > 005:00 Then OFF
    Defer 000:10 Then ON
    Defer 000:04 Then OFF
    Min Time 060:00 Then OFF

The instruction card describes the LED indications for Standalone mode of operation, not Apex-connection operation. The LED will not be blue in Apex-connected mode.

The 5-minute safety cutoff kicks in and turns the ATO output to manual off if the pump ran for longer than 5 minutes.

If your ATO outlet keeps shutting OFF and you get a alert about If Error ATO-output-name Then ON, something is wrong, causing the ATO to run too long.

Turn the ATO pump output manually ON - does the pump turn on and is topoff water flowing out of the ATK float valve?
    Please do not send me PMs with technical questions or requesting assistance - use the forums for Apex help. PM me ONLY if the matter is of a private or personal nature. Thanks.

New User
    I'm lost i get 5-10 alerts an hour here are some of them and i don't know what they mean Apex.JPG

ATK Question

Those push notifications do not provide enough info; post a screenshot of the recent alert log entries in Apex Fusion. Also post the current email output program.
    Please do not send me PMs with technical questions or requesting assistance - use the forums for Apex help. PM me ONLY if the matter is of a private or personal nature. Thanks.

New User
    Alarm log _ Item 1.JPGAlarm Log Screen shot.JPG

In the first picture, i didn't set that up.

Swx16_2 is most likely your high water optical sensor. Your water level is probably exactly at the midway point and the water is very slightly fluctuating causing it to turn on and off very quickly. This is then sending you alerts that your high sensor is under water.

You should add a defer statement to just that sensor.

Create a virtual outlet. Name it HiWaterLvl. Put in this Code

Code:
    Set OFF
    If Swx16_2 CLOSED Then ON
    Defer 01:00 Then ON

In your email output program, replace If SWX16_2 CLOSED Then ON with If Output HiWaterLvl = ON Then ON

This will keep you from getting an alert until the sensor is fully submerged for 1 minute.

But you also need to address the root cause of why its higher than it is. Is there a siphon forming from you top off? If your ATK tile is set to auto and changing to OFF by itself your When On > 005:00 Then OFF is line is triggering and is manually turning your ATO off to save you from disaster.
    Your top off is running for 5 minutes. Is your sump that large or there some strange setup you have. Its fairly abnormal.

New User
    I have a new question: Is the ATK component that goes in the sump fully submersible? My tank back siphons into my sump when the return pump is turned off for feeding and maintenance. The sump holds all the water and I am going to drill a siphon break in the return pipe. However one of the pipes that feeds the sump is very low in the overflow chamber for some reason. Not my design. I bought this tank used. Soooooo, do I have plumbing to do, or can the ATK be fully submersed several times a day?

It can be fully submerged. Just make sure you rinse it from time to time so you don't get salt building up on the upper sensor and stopping the ATO when water level is fine (you should set an alert for that as well if you don't already)

You might be an engineer if...You have no life and can prove it mathematically.

New User
    Thanks for the info Zombie

Quote Originally Posted by zombie View Post
    Just make sure you rinse it from time to time so you don't get salt building up on the upper sensor and stopping the ATO when water level is fine
    And if you have a refugium and sump light, taking a soft toothbrush to the face of each sensor every week or two will keep algae from building up on them to the point where it could cause a problem.

clintas: If your problem isn't a siphon as suggested above, and you're still have 5 minute time out errors, you might trying decreasing the Min Time to 30 minutes, resulting in more frequent but shorter/smaller topoffs.

New User
    Thanks for working this out guys, I had the same exact issue and now it is resolved. Better living through science and mathematics.