Thread: The Apex isn't presently connected to Fusion

New User

The Apex isn't presently connected to Fusion

While checking in on my reef tank, I frequently get "The Apex isn't presently connected to Fusion" messages on my phone, pad or PC. For various reasons the system is loosing connectivity to my Wi-Fi which while amazes me isn't why I'm writing this.

To get Apex going, you either have to wait sometimes hours or I have to re-boot or re-power the device and that usually gets me back on.

Problem comes when I am out of town and need to check on my system. It does not always automatically reconnect so it needs a re-boot, so many times I'm not able to see how things are with my reef tank until I'm back home.

This defeats the main purpose of having this state of art controller. Is there any other way short of using the pin to reboot or having someone go by my home and re-power the Apex?

Regular Vistor
    Quote Originally Posted by g5flier View Post
    While checking in on my reef tank, I frequently get "The Apex isn't presently connected to Fusion" messages on my phone, pad or PC. For various reasons the system is loosing connectivity to my Wi-Fi which while amazes me isn't why I'm writing this.

To get Apex going, you either have to wait sometimes hours or I have to re-boot or re-power the device and that usually gets me back on.

Problem comes when I am out of town and need to check on my system. It does not always automatically reconnect so it needs a re-boot, so many times I'm not able to see how things are with my reef tank until I'm back home.

This defeats the main purpose of having this state of art controller. Is there any other way short of using the pin to reboot or having someone go by my home and re-power the Apex?
    Good question.. I can tell by your screen name we are in the same line of work. I've had this problem also

New User
    Having similar issues, why is this still a problem. This is the only item in my entire house that has connection issues. Not acceptable.

New User
    Quote Originally Posted by Abbott View Post
    Having similar issues, why is this still a problem. This is the only item in my entire house that has connection issues. Not acceptable.
    Agreed! Never, Nada, any issues in my house with Wi-Fi connection except the Apex! Looks like there are 2 fixes...a) get a different controller or b) run an ethernet cable to the Apex. Looks like I'll get someone out to the house to run the cable...ugh!

Regular Vistor
    Same issue here

It could be an issue with your encryption method (WPA2, etc.) I'm not super familiar with the apex 2016 but I recall a thread that mentioned certain encryption methods didn't work but others were flawless.

You might be an engineer if...You have no life and can prove it mathematically.

New User
    Just wanted to say that I have the same problem. Maybe once a week or every other week I have to pull power to the apex CPU in order to get it to reconnect to my wireless. Only device I have in the house that has this issue. I have a pretty solid Asus router that has never given me issues before.

Frequent Visitor
    Quote Originally Posted by rernst76 View Post
    Just wanted to say that I have the same problem. Maybe once a week or every other week I have to pull power to the apex CPU in order to get it to reconnect to my wireless. Only device I have in the house that has this issue. I have a pretty solid Asus router that has never given me issues before.
    I had the same issue and ended up getting HooToo Powerline Adapter. Works with your existing home electrical outlet thus not needing to run a Ethernet cable from your gateway. ( HooToo AV600 Powerline Adapter Starter Kit with Up To 600Mbps, Electrical Networking ... https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01LY4MOPK..._TAaS9utIyR9Gd ).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Regular Vistor
    Quote Originally Posted by rernst76 View Post
    I too have this same issue for several months now!! Never had this problem with Fusion and the previous Apex controller. I need to reboot the Apex to get going u,sing the pin hole. When Fusion is offline there is no control of the devices including the new atk. Water top off is very crucial. I'm thinking of going standalone for this and maybe a wifi setup for my radion. But here's the thing...why should I even be thinking to do this when we have a fantastic Apex2016. There has to be a way to reboot this device remotely. As you can see I'm not a very happy Apex user!

What brand of router are you guys using that are having this issue? While clearly there are a few of you having this problem it doesn't seam to be a large number. I wonder if you have similar router hardware or router configuration that could help explain why this is happening?

Regular Vistor
    I have a linksys wrt1900acs v2 dual band router. I have had no problems in my home with this router. Computers, cameras, printers etc. The security is set up as WPA2 personal.

Quote Originally Posted by peterc64 View Post
    I have a linksys wrt1900acs v2 dual band router. I have had no problems in my home with this router. Computers, cameras, printers etc. The security is set up as WPA2 personal.
    And only 2.4GHz frequency, right?

Regular Vistor
    I am using the 2.4GHz only.

New User

Thumbs up New APEX system just purchased a week ago - loses connection

I too have this same issue for several months now!! Never had this problem with Fusion and the previous Apex controller. I need to reboot the Apex to get going u,sing the pin hole. When Fusion is offline there is no control of the devices including the new atk. Water top off is very crucial. I'm thinking of going standalone for this and maybe a wifi setup for my radion. But here's the thing...why should I even be thinking to do this when we have a fantastic Apex2016. There has to be a way to reboot this device remotely. As you can see I'm not a very happy Apex user!

Having the same issues as described here, tried two different routers, both exhibited the same problem. I have a hard wired connection along with WiFi as a backup. My reef link uses the same router, never loses connection, and I am questioning why I ever spent the money on this APEX system, given it has been more trouble than help. Running the latest firmware.

Regular Vistor
    I put in a support call and we'll see where that leads.

Regular Vistor
    I put in a support call and we'll see where that leads.
    ^^^^^^

Save yourself the headache. Put in a support ticket and let them fix it

Frequent Visitor
    I now have the same problem. Wifi losing connection. I hard wired it but soon after IT lost connection to fusion. Support ticket opened. They are telling me now the Wifi is interfering with the wired connection. I factory reset my router, established internet connection, reset apex base unit, plugged in ethernet cable, logged into fusion, turned off wifi. I'll see how stable this will be until they resolve this. The Rep did mention an OS update is coming out in a few weeks for this issue.

New User
    Today is my turn, I can't get apex to connect

"This Apex isn't presently connected to Fusion"

Reboot your Apex, that restores network connectivity more often than not.

First off I want to start and say I understand when I have a problem with something it's extremely aggravating that someone starts pointing at my equipment instead of looking into their own device first. That said I'm attaching my receipt below to show you that I did indeed do what I'm about to tell you. I initially bought a Linksys router. I got the EA 9500 series for $329. Very nice looking router and had all the bells and whistles. My son and his friends will come over and play on the Xbox and PlayStation and their games on their laptops and everything else not to mention all the other crap I have connected to include 10 camera systems that are HD 1080p at each of my businesses. The camera system alone requires a great deal of bandwidth and a very good router and everything is connected to a second PC that's connected wirelessly through the router. Point is I had to go with a good router and decided to try a Linksys. after hooking it up I really didn't have any problems with the gaming systems but I did notice my camera systems going in and out and my phone would constantly say connecting to Joes Wi-Fi. It would happen several times throughout the day. After going through this for about 2 weeks I finally called Linksys and we looked at everything and we could never figure out why but it was obvious that it kept dropping the wireless connections and reconnecting constantly. They tried different settings and they even I made some changes and sent me a new firmware to try out on two different occasions and no matter what they did my phone would still go in and out. I had a Netgear router prior to this and it lasted a good 5 or 6 years and I never had an issue so I end up taking the Linksys router back and as you can see with the receipt below I swapped it out for the new Netgear router. Needless to say I hooked up the Netgear router and have never had a single problem since then. Who knows why.. maybe the signals on the Linksys just didn’t like other signals in my area and it screwed it up. I can't really comment on the WiFi for the Apex because I've always used a wired connection but if you're using a Linksys this could be your problem. I'm not saying it is so please don't start getting aggravated and yelling at me because I suggested it might be a bad router. Some people are Linksys fans and some are Netgear. Some ford and some Chevy but I couldn't care less as long as they run right. So I'm not trying to put it off on Linksys or say Netgear is better I'm just saying this is the problem I had and as you see with the receipt below I swapped it out. I would have never swapped the router had it worked but again it was an issue and it might be your problem as well. Maybe worth at least going and purchasing a different router and just see if it works and if it doesn't and you have the same problem then just return the router

Receipt.JPG

Something to add to the post directly above me.

When you experience connection problems with the apex and you also notice spotty connection with other wireless devices, one very important thing to check is your WiFi channel. There are apps you can download on your phone to see if your neighbors are using a strong signal that is conflicting with yours. Often simply changing to one with less congestion (always use 1, 6, or 11), these problems immediately go away. It's possible this may have indirectly been the cause of the post above mines problem that was resolved with a new router because different manufacturers use different algorithms for the "auto" channel selection. Between manufacturers or even different models from the same brand do a better or worse job of selecting a good channel, but some are just plain dumb (my $500 nighthawk router thought channel 3 between a congested 1 and 6 was a good idea. It was wrong). Changing my channel to the non congested 11 fixed connection problems with both the apex and my PlayStation upstairs that was poorly streaming.

You might be an engineer if...You have no life and can prove it mathematically.

Yeah when I said "signals" I meant channels. They did all that when Linksys troubleshot my router. It was the first thing they had me try. But every situation is different and it could help.

New User

Angry A3 jr

Quote Originally Posted by Abbott View Post
    I cannot even get mine to connect to the fusion it connects to my Wi-Fi no problem bug when it tries to link to the fusion it can’t just tells me it’s taking longer than usual to link would I like to stop or continue waiting had it for a week haven’t got on fusion once!! Ridiculous

NSI Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Kin-a-lonRee4R87 View Post
    I cannot even get mine to connect to the fusion it connects to my Wi-Fi no problem bug when it tries to link to the fusion it can’t just tells me it’s taking longer than usual to link would I like to stop or continue waiting had it for a week haven’t got on fusion once!! Ridiculous
    First, you'll get better response starting a new thread rather than reviving a 5 year old thread for a different issue (connecting to wifi rather than connecting to Fusion).

First, can you get to Apex.local? If so connection problems to Fusion are almost always something on your router or ISP blocking it. Do you have any anti malware settings turned on at your router? Are you using a custom DNS or the ISP's default? If you are using the ISP, you can try changing it to 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4. That would help rule out something at the ISP.