Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Kalk Reactor

Frequent Visitor

Kalk Reactor

Hi all,

Need some help with programming. I have chronic low ph so decided to buy kalk reactor. Im going to have it dose based on DT ph... I have two physical outlets i need programming.... they are

KalkDose_7_3 - this outlet will turn on pump hooked straight to my rodi and dose to sump
    KalkStir_7_4 - this outlet will stir 15 minutes every four hours

i really dont know how to set this up but what i have so far

KalkDose_7_3
    Fallback OFF
    Set OFF
    If DTpH > 8.25 Then OFF
    If DTpH < 8.15 Then ON

KalkStir_7_4
    Fallback OFF
    Set OFF
    then i have no idea.........

any help or suggestions would be great. thanks

What kind of reactor ? You cannot tie the kalk-dosing to the tank pH , most likely if you do that you will raise the water level in the sump ,tank pH is always used to limit the kalk-dosing when the pH value is reached , You need to dose in accordance with the tank ATO top-off or something similar that will limit the amount of water added to the tank , otherwise your salinity will drop .
    Alain

Frequent Visitor
    its a reef octopus KS100..i thought about the lowering salinity thing... i do a WC daily with my DOS... change about 2.5 gallons a day... i was thinking of having the new water have a little more salinity to compensate... i thought about using it in ATO... but for various reasons did not want to go that way.. i know ever tank is different but would the way i want to run it not work...besides lower salinity?? thanks for the time

Regular Vistor
    I would look into drawing outside air into skimmer and a CO2 scurbber if needed. Using Kalk for the sole purpose of raising PH is too risky IMO.

Frequent Visitor
    Thanks I tried did very little to raise it.. running a ca reactor.. so just trying to use the Kalk to bring it up..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Fish Keeper82 View Post
    I would look into drawing outside air into skimmer and a CO2 scurbber if needed. Using Kalk for the sole purpose of raising PH is too risky IMO.
    I had tried that , depending on how big your skimmer is , this media cost a fortune , as for me i was counting about 50 bucks a month . The kalk is a better way , if done correctly .
    Alain

Quote Originally Posted by Eric w View Post
    its a reef octopus KS100..i thought about the lowering salinity thing... i do a WC daily with my DOS... change about 2.5 gallons a day... i was thinking of having the new water have a little more salinity to compensate... i thought about using it in ATO... but for various reasons did not want to go that way.. i know ever tank is different but would the way i want to run it not work...besides lower salinity?? thanks for the time
    I dont do any water change , i dont believe they are necessary . But this is my own honest opinion . As for kalk , my tank used about 5000 ml of rodi per day for top-off , so i had programmed a 50 ml/min BRS peristaltic pump to dose 4000 ml/day of kalk , and i leave to rest to the top-off . This way i can make sure my salinity is constant . Depending on the temperature of the room , it might use more or less , but my kalk dosing is constant nevertheless .
    Alain

Frequent Visitor
    Yeah that is what I did not want to do just spend that much on media all the time.. to keep ph up will I be using that much water once it gets to 8.2.. I was thinking that it wouldnt require that much?? So not sure what to do?

Frequent Visitor
    Thanks Alain and everyone.. I'm not sure what to do here.. I get the draw back of doing it this way.. but have also read people doing this was and dripping it in their sump.. so not sure where to go

Yeah that is what I did not want to do just spend that much on media all the time.. to keep ph up will I be using that much water once it gets to 8.2.. I was thinking that it wouldnt require that much?? So not sure what to do?

Every tank is different , you will have to experiment . After many tests using different method , i came up with this one . Also kalk can raise a bit alkalinity and calcium level , by dosing a fixed amount per day , i can make sure of those quantities added to the tank . Kalk is very cheap , way cheaper then using co2 scrubber .
    Alain

Frequent Visitor
    with all that being said can anyone help me with the programing to do this? thanks

Describe your set-up , and what kind of pump do you intend to use for kalk and top-off ? . How do you control the top-off , and similar infos we need to understand your system .
    Alain

Frequent Visitor
    ok currently i have a RSM650.. the tank has the rear tank for top off that you fill up.... currently i have one of these that supplies rodi water to that rear tank as needed via a float...

http://genesisreefsystems.com/produc...shment-module/

i bought another one of these units and was going have it feed the reactor with a valve at the end to control drip rate into sump.... i also bought a float valve to connect to the output of the reactor so if the sump fills up too much it will shut the talk supply down.. like i said i didn't want to go the ATO route because it seems it may be harder than what i want to do.... but maybe not...

Frequent Visitor
    with all that being said can anyone help me with the programing to do this? thanks
    You can use a simple oscillate command to stir the reactor.
    Just type this line in the outlet you have the stir pump plugged into:
    FALLBACK OFF
    OSC 225:00/015:00/000:00 Then ON
    This will turn the outlet ON for 15min every 3h45min.
    For the rest, like Alain said, we need more info.
    My setup uses the same logic as Alain; I kalk dose about a liter less than evap and let the ATO do the rest.

Frequent Visitor
    Thanks on the stir program..

Frequent Visitor
    I don't need the set off command I'm guessing

I don't need the set off command I'm guessing

No , it is not needed in this case .
    Alain

Frequent Visitor
    Quote Originally Posted by Alain B View Post
    No , it is not needed in this case .
    Thanks

Frequent Visitor
    My other option would be to have reactor feed that rear rodi tank in the back of my 650.. but my guess is it would settle the lime and would not work..

Frequent Visitor
    My other option would be to have reactor feed that rear rodi tank in the back of my 650.. but my guess is it would settle the lime and would not work..
    You want to drip in a high flow area for sure or you'll simply precipitate calcium out of your tank water and end up with a calcium carbonate slab at the bottom of your sump or RO container.

Frequent Visitor
    Thanks.. that's what I thought.. if anyone can help me with the programming for the pump to turn on and off based on ph?? Thanks again

Frequent Visitor
    Bump on the programming for the feed based on ph

Thanks.. that's what I thought.. if anyone can help me with the programming for the pump to turn on and off based on ph?? Thanks again

You cannot base kalk dosing on pH alone , as i said before , if you do that and keep adding kalk , you might end up with a salinity problem as you might need to dose too much to reach the desired pH . Your best bet is to dose as much as the ATO consumption and end the kalk dosing when the pH reach the value you wish for . And live with whatever result it will give .
    Alain

Regular Vistor
    On my setup, I saturate the kalk solution, and dose it in an amount that is less than what need to be replaced by ato. That way, the two work independent of each other.

Sent from my SM-G900R4 using Tapatalk

Frequent Visitor
    Ok so I figured out what I'm going to do.. I'm going to hook the reactor up to an ato system I just bought. I m going to use it in connection with the stock Red Sea top off system.. I'm going to have the new ato set just above the stock ato water level.

I want the Kalk ato to stay on till ph gets to 8.2.. then shut off.. then the Red Sea ato will take over..

Can someone help me with programming for the outlet that will control the Kalk ato? Thanks

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast