Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Kalk Reactor

Are you gonna connect the floats to the apex and have it control a Pump, or plug in dedicated ATO units with their own control and just control the outlet? (Floats are more secure FYI)

You might be an engineer if...You have no life and can prove it mathematically.

Frequent Visitor
    The ato I got has elect sensors.. I want to connect it to the apex... im going to also put a float on the output of the Kalk ato

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If it's a dedicated unit then all you need is

KalkATO
    Fallback OFF
    Set ON
    If pH > 8.2 Then OFF

ATO
    Fallback OFF
    Set ON
    If pH < 8.21 Then OFF

You might be an engineer if...You have no life and can prove it mathematically.

Regular Vistor
    For my 170G Bow Front tank I set up Tunze Osmolator Universal 3155 ATO to control two pumps:

- The small Tunze pump which comes with the unit - for RODI water (works as ATO)

- The Cobalt MJ1200 Powerhead through the Osmolator Switched Socket Outlet, connected to Two Little Fishies KWReactor 300 - for Kalkwasser (will switch offwhen pH > 8.4).

[Outlet for Osmolator Switched Socket Outlet – KULK_PUMP]

Fallback OFF

Set ON

If pH > 8.40 Then OFF

Frequent Visitor
    Quote Originally Posted by Alain B View Post
    As for kalk , my tank used about 5000 ml of rodi per day for top-off , so i had programmed a 50 ml/min BRS peristaltic pump to dose 4000 ml/day of kalk , and i leave to rest to the top-off . This way i can make sure my salinity is constant . Depending on the temperature of the room , it might use more or less , but my kalk dosing is constant nevertheless .
    This is smart and more people need to think like this. If they did, more people would still use kalk as alkalinity and calcium would be consistent and no longer fluctuation. I use 2500 ml/day and once calculated how much money this was saving me for not using 2-part.

Quote Originally Posted by Simon P View Post
    You can use a simple oscillate command to stir the reactor.
    Check with the manufacturer of the kalk stirrer. Some specifically say to not cycle the unit and others will specifically tell you to cycle the unit. The instructions are specific to the motor used. They also use so little power, there is really little benefit to stirrer cycling, plus some motors cant handle the require torque if the stirrer sits still, the kalk cakes up and then it tries to start. I believe this is more of an issue with kalk reactors that use mixing pumps instead of stirrers that use slow rotating stirrers.

Regarding the pH impacts, I dose my kalk using an OSC statement so a little bit is added every 40 minutes - 69.4 ml every 40 mintues. Doing it this way, you can not tell when kalk has been added by looking at the pH. I do this through out the day and I do not pH limit this, it has never been a problem.

Frequent Visitor
    Quote Originally Posted by leszekpmd911 View Post
    For my 170G Bow Front tank I set up Tunze Osmolator Universal 3155 ATO to control two pumps:

- The small Tunze pump which comes with the unit - for RODI water (works as ATO)

- The Cobalt MJ1200 Powerhead through the Osmolator Switched Socket Outlet, connected to Two Little Fishies KWReactor 300 - for Kalkwasser (will switch offwhen pH > 8.4).

[Outlet for Osmolator Switched Socket Outlet – KULK_PUMP]

Fallback OFF

Set ON

If pH > 8.40 Then OFF
    IMO, that MJ1200 is too high of a flowrate to put through a kalkstirrer/reactor. If you look at the manual they came with it, most manufacturers have a maximum flow stated to prevent unsaturated kalk from blowing out and entering your tank. Most of use peristaltic pumps and they are perfect for kalk applications. Mine is the BRS 50 ml/min. Also the slower pump gives you a stead drip instead of a steady stream and that is exactly how kalk should be applied. And refer to my previous post, if you Oscillate a slower pump, the pH impacts go away.

Regular Vistor
    Actually MJ1200 is being offered with Two Little Fishies KW Reactor 300 Pump as a Kit @ http://www.drsfostersmith.com/produc...m?pcatid=26601

Model Watt
    120v-60Hz
    Max Flow
    (gph/lph)
    Max Height
    (in / m)
    MJ400 5 106 (400) 29" (.73m)
    MJ600 7.5 160 (600) 53" (1.35m)
    MJ900 8.5 230 (870) 46" (1.17m)
    MJ1200 20 295 (1100) 69" (1.74m)

Operating Instructions for the KW Reactor300
    Technical Data
    Capacity Use with up to a maximum of 1/2 cup calcium hydroxide powder (=24 teaspoons).
    Aquarium size One reactor for aquariums up to 300 gallons (1135 Liters).
    Recommended pump size ca. 200 - 400 gal/hr (760 - 1500 L/hr). The pipes automatically reduce the flow to a small stream.

Connection for hoses 1/2 inch (12.7 mm) i.d. The inlet and outlet flexible 90° fittings rotate to suit your installation.

Frequent Visitor
    Ok, cool, you definitely did your homework 1/4" tubing and fittings does add a lot of head loss.

On the Avast Marine, the stated capacity is 7 gallons a day, but this is extremely conservative IMO.

New User

Kalk Reactor

Quote Originally Posted by zombie View Post
    If it's a dedicated unit then all you need is

KalkATO
    Fallback OFF
    Set ON
    If pH > 8.2 Then OFF

ATO
    Fallback OFF
    Set ON
    If pH < 8.21 Then OFF
    what would I add to this code if I am using two switches into my breakoutbox? One will control kalk ato and the other for the other ato. I have 2 solenoid valves that I will control the input of of water coming from my ro/di. I probably should add a upper limit switch also. I am running a ca reactor and have trouble even breaking a ph of 8.0 during the day. That is with running my skimmer intake outside. Any help with the code or suggestions would be appreciated.
    thanks
    Jeff

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12