Thread: Restore without old Apex? Is clone an option?

Regular Vistor

Restore without old Apex? Is clone an option?

My Apex Classic controller failed. It's smoking so it's dead. I have a spare Apex Classic controller, current firmware, same as the old one. I have backup config files. Can I use restore mode on the new controller, load the old controller's backup and clone the new one without the old one being available?

Yes, you can. That is covered in the sticky post here about cloning as well as in the Cloning Guide itself https://forum.neptunesystems.com/sho...ts-or-APEX-JRs
    Please do not send me PMs with technical questions or requesting assistance - use the forums for Apex help. PM me ONLY if the matter is of a private or personal nature. Thanks.

Regular Vistor
    Quote Originally Posted by RussM View Post
    Yes, you can. That is covered in the sticky post here about cloning as well as in the Cloning Guide itself https://forum.neptunesystems.com/sho...ts-or-APEX-JRs
    Ok great. It wasn't clear whether I needed the old one to be functional as that guide states having the old one on. Thanks.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

I think you just missed it. See the second bullet under step 1 on page 10.

Please do not send me PMs with technical questions or requesting assistance - use the forums for Apex help. PM me ONLY if the matter is of a private or personal nature. Thanks.

Regular Vistor
    Quote Originally Posted by RussM View Post
    I think you just missed it. See the second bullet under step 1 on page 10.

Yes, that is under the "Create a configuration backup of the OLD APEX". So if one already has a backup then the heading that bullet is under makes the instruction a little uncertain, but as I now read it in context I can follow. It really shouldn't be a step under that heading but prior to that heading; something along the lines of "If you can not access the old Apex, but have a usable backup skip ahead..."

Thanks for the help. The cloning didn't work very well and I ended up wiping and rebuilding. An imperfect process.

Cloning an apex is very picky. It will only work if the aquabus addresses match exactly with the original one. For the future I would suggest keeping a record of your aquabus addresses and save your config whenever you make any changes to it. That way if this ever happens again, You can plug in devices sequentially based on their address, load the config and you're set in 20 minutes.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk