Thread: ATK to RODI with Solenoid

ATK to RODI with Solenoid

Hi all,
    Just hoping someone can point me in the direction of the thread that talks about using the ATK and solenoid with direct feed from the RODI system. I'm not having any luck on the setup of this.

Thanks!

What exactly are you having trouble with?
    Please do not send me PMs with technical questions or requesting assistance - use the forums for Apex help. PM me ONLY if the matter is of a private or personal nature. Thanks.

I'm basically going over from an older setup with a simple float valve direct feed into the RO system and wasn't sure what the steps are to hooking up the ATK straight into the RO system. I called up BRS last week and they said I just needed to get the Solenoid put it in the line before the ATK. Beyond that I'm not really sure what to do with the APEX setup on it.

I never wanted to mess with a ATO tank since its a hassle to keep filling up the reservoir so i'd rather just keep running directly from the RO system.

Frequent Visitor
    if you want to top off your aquarium with RO/DI direct output ...

this can be acomplished with ATK just by replacing the PMUP with a 24V selenoid valve.

However I totally disagree with this. Have you looked at TDS Creep in Google? the first water coming out of a RO/DI is bad water ... not something you want to put in your tank!

I have a very close case of a friend that had to break down the tank as everything he put there died after a couple of days. And it took some time to understand it was from the top off ...

you should have a container with RO/DI (pure water) and then feed with the PMUP from there!

My 2 cents!

All the best,
    Rui

Thanks Rui!
    Just want to make sure we're on the same page - I actually have a 6 stage RODI system that this would be getting hooked up to - my 3 stage TDS meter reports my final water coming out always shows 0TDS - thats the stuff my ATK would be hooked up to.

Frequent Visitor
    Understood ... I have one brs 6 stage and always says 0 ...
    Until it does not and you don't notice ...

My setup:
    I have a 50l box that has 2 floats (min max) and it's feed by a auto shut off like atk.
    When min fill the container for 4h or until max.
    When min stops ato for 30m to allow some time to fill ...

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

Interesting, its good feedback.
    I found the following programming notes about the ATK but am not sure what steps I need to do in addition to add stuff for the Solenoid

Fallback OFF
    If ATO_Rf OPEN Then ON
    If ATO_St CLOSED Then OFF
    If ATO_Hi CLOSED Then OFF
    If Output Alert_SysALD = ON Then OFF

This is how i have mine programmed :

ATO_Rf is the low level sensor
    ATO_St is the high level sensor
    ATO_Hi is the upper level sensor ( as a safety )

Frequent Visitor
    Hummm ... you don't need to add anything!

So if you like me renamed it ... your ATK outlet should be named ATK ... (go figure ... )

That outlet is actually the 24V port that exists in the FMM!

Just simply replace the PMUP for the Selenoid and that's it ... enjoy your install!

And please please ... add a reminder to APEX Fusion to check the TDS at least weekly!

All the best,
    Rui

The nest logical step for Neptune would be to to design and market a TDS detector that would monitor TDS and trigger an alarm .
    Alain

Frequent Visitor
    Quote Originally Posted by Alain B View Post
    The nest logical step for Neptune would be to to design and market a TDS detector that would monitor TDS and trigger an alarm .
    That would be so nice ... should not be that hard

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

Frequent Visitor
    Quote Originally Posted by Rui Manuel Gaspar View Post

However I totally disagree with this. Have you looked at TDS Creep in Google? the first water coming out of a RO/DI is bad water ... not something you want to put in your tank!
    Not saying your friend didn't have this happen, but I have had my RO unit hooked up as a direct top off to my 125 gallon tank with 55 gallon sump for over 8 years with no issues regarding TDS creep. I have my unit set up to top off only 1 time a day and it does about 1/2 gallon. I suppose if you had it setup to top off anytime the water level dropped and opened a float it could go off 8-10 times a day, which in theory could increase the TDS due to creep in the tank. But with only topping off one time and the large volume in my tank it has not been an issue.

The only problems I see going straight into the RO line is the severely reduced lifespan of the RO membrane from not doing regular flushes or the possibility of getting so used to doing nothing with the RO unit that you exhaust the DI resin and waiting too long to change the membrane and it starts topping off with essentially tap water.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Thank you everyone for the feedback - I agree it would be nice if they had an integrated TDS system. Do any of you frequently calibrate your TDS meter? I purchased the solution a while back but havent taken the time to try and figure out how to calibrate it.

Rui -- that makes sense, so basically the Solenoid just takes the same On/Off action that the PMUP and then the system just detects the raised water flow. I guess I was thinking that the APEX would treat the Solenoid differently but that just shows how well they made the system to work easily.

I do agree it wouldn't be a bad idea to just have the system Top Off just once a day to minimize the impact on the DI resin. I'll look around on the forum to see what you guys used for the programming to make it just run once a day.

The impact on DI resin is fairly minimal but there is a large effect on the solenoid life if it operates often. A good compromise would be every 3 to 6 hours. Just make sure you set maintenance reminders to flush the membrane and check the color on the DI resin every week or two.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Frequent Visitor
    Quote Originally Posted by CluelessReefer View Post

I'll look around on the forum to see what you guys used for the programming to make it just run once a day.
    just use an if time statement to allow the solenoid to run. Then use your floats and if switch statements to turn it on and off

Fallback OFF
    Set OFF
    If Time 16:00 to 16:29 Then ON
    If FeedA 000 Then ON
    If Swx12_2 CLOSED Then OFF

i have the feed statement in there so I can do a manual top off if necessary. Swx12_2 is my normal level float.