Thread: Incorrect Logic in Apex - Setting off warnings when conditions nominal

New User

Incorrect Logic in Apex - Setting off warnings when conditions nominal

For just the last week or so, without any changes to the system or programming my apex has been flagging alert status, and giving pH as the reason. Here is what the top of the alert email looks like:

Alarm Statement: If pH < 7.80 Then ON (8.08)

Jun 13 2017 07:18:10
    Temp pH CApH
    77.6 8.08 6.83
    NotUsed1 is OFF Manual
    NotUsed2 is OFF Manual
    FrontLED is OFF Auto......

Obviously the logic is wrong here, since it is saying I am alarming due to the pH being below 7.80, and it is 8.08. When I look at the pH plots, there are no dips beneath 7.80, not even individual data points I dont think.

Why is my apex false alarming and not doing IF statements correctly? IF 8.08 is not below 7.80 do not alarm...

Thoughts? Thanks!

The graphs only show data points recorded at whatever periodicity the data logging interval is configured for. The default is 10 minutes. So you will not likely see any short-lived transients in the charts.

Are these alerts occurring at regular intervals, the same time(s) each day, and/or do they coincide with something happening in your tank?

After you get such an alert, how long is it before you get the "all clear" Status OFF / Set OFF message?
    Please do not send me PMs with technical questions or requesting assistance - use the forums for Apex help. PM me ONLY if the matter is of a private or personal nature. Thanks.

New User
    The all clear status seems to come very shortly (like possibly immediately) after. I do not believe that I can correlate the events to any particular interval or anything, I believe that it has happened probably 4-5 times now and randomly spaced throughout the day.

My guess is that because my pH probe is older, perhaps it could be failing? I tried cleaning it, no change.

It seems to be a single spurious data point. Or does the apex have a "Defer" type feature for incoming data (unsure what data frequency is) that filters out single out-of-normal data points?

Apex does have a defer feature. Add this line at the end for a 30 second filter.

Defer 000:30 Then ON

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

New User
    Quote Originally Posted by zombie View Post
    Apex does have a defer feature. Add this line at the end for a 30 second filter.

Defer 000:30 Then ON

Thanks Zombie, I understand that. I was more interested in a defer feature built into the incoming data stream to filter our erroneous data points, which might catch bad single data points here or there and prevent a incorrect alarm state like this.

Your comment is a good one, I could add a defer statement to the alarm programming itself. That should help, it would require all alarms to be on for 5 seconds before it emails me, but 5 seconds is not of consequence in this case.

There is no filtering on the raw data stream.