Thread: Alarm programming question

Frequent Visitor

Alarm programming question

So I bought a DC buzzer and I wired it to one of my VDM ports. I want to make sure this programming is going to do what I want. I want it to be normally off but if one of my ALD modules detects water I want it to run a profile I setup.

Fallback OFF
    Set OFF
    If LeakFl CLOSED Then Siren
    If LeakCa CLOSED Then Siren

The other part of the question I have is has anyone made a profile that actually sounds like a siren? I've tried several different combinations using a Pump profile but can't get the sound quite right.

Thanks.

Disconnect that before you fry your VDM. They are not meant to source current and a DC buzzer will definitely blow it (the exception being a 120VAC buzzer with a 0-10V analog trigger).

You might be an engineer if...You have no life and can prove it mathematically.

To emphasize zombie's post - the 0-10v outputs provide a control signal only; they cannot be used to provide power to anything.
    Please do not send me PMs with technical questions or requesting assistance - use the forums for Apex help. PM me ONLY if the matter is of a private or personal nature. Thanks.

Power that buzzer with an AC adapter that provides the proper DC output. Plug the AC adapter into an EnergyBar outlet programmed to turn on if either of the leak sensor are CLOSED.
    Please do not send me PMs with technical questions or requesting assistance - use the forums for Apex help. PM me ONLY if the matter is of a private or personal nature. Thanks.

Frequent Visitor
    How long before it blows because it seems to work fine. Just can't get the siren sound I'm looking for.

Could happen at any moment. The VDM is not protected against overcurrent and I believe it will smoke at 20mA of current if I remember the specs correctly.

Just because it worked once doesn't mean it won't smoke on you when the siren runs for a few minutes or hours continuously.

I would recommend something like a honeywell wave2 or similar and you can mount it on your wall or cabinet and feed it with a 12V power supply. Solves the siren sound issue and the potential VDM smoking issue in one go and costs like 8 bucks.

You might be an engineer if...You have no life and can prove it mathematically.

The load on a variable output must not exceed 20 milliamperes.

Frequent Visitor
    Thanks guys.