Thread: what do i need to test salinity?

New User

what do i need to test salinity?

iv just purchased an apex classic it comes with temp and ph probes i believe. iv not received it yet but want to start getting things together. im just wondering what i need and roughly how much they cost. im in the UK and its european 220 volts classic, is there any difference between probes with it being different voltages

many thanks

peter

If you want to measure salinity, then you need a PM2 module, a conductivity probe, and some extra calibration packets (comes with one but you will need one every month or so, so I would stock up early).

The only modules that are affected by the differing voltage are the energy bars. Everything else runs off of aquabus power or uses a dedicated power supply (which can be ordered for different countries).

You might be an engineer if...You have no life and can prove it mathematically.

New User
    thanks zombie, is they any module that can support the basic tests such as ammonia, nitrite and nitrate, ect.

Unfortunately no. There are no probes on the market that can handle continuous duty in saltwater and the accuracy/quality standards of neptune yet so there aren't any modules for them. When somebody comes up with some that can meet that, Neptune will probably have a module released in a matter of months.

New User
    thats a shame, would of been good to get an alert for any spikes. i got an ammonia spike last week due to dropping the whole contents of my feeder in my tank, luckily i had time to prepair for it coming. this is all new to me and only got this controller because im travelling to las vegas in a few weeks time and we have been getting power cuts lately. can the controller send an alert if they is loss of power or loss of connection?

For that particular situation, an ORP probe will serve the same purpose even though it doesn't measure ammonia directly. When organic material gets added to the aquarium (such as a fish dying or a feeder falling in the tank) ORP will see a proportional decline. By sending an email when ORP drops a lot, you can be pretty certain it means something died, protein skimmer is overflowing into sump, or a number of other problems that are worth investigating (most of which will generate an ammonia spike).