Thread: DOS for AWC - High vs Low speed

Regular Vistor

DOS for AWC - High vs Low speed

I'm using the DOS for AWC on my 200 Gallon. I'm trying to maximize the lifespan of the unit. I'm changing 3 gallons a day. I had a couple questions.

1)Should I span the AWC each night over 12 hours or just get it done in a couple. I'm trying to balance the lifespan of the motor vs heads.

2)Does running both heads at the same time cause more wear and tear as apposed to separate? I'm running both so I don't trip my ATO (3155) in the sump.

3)How will I know when it's time to change a head? I'm guessing I'll have to replace every 6 months or so?

1. Lower speed will wear it out slower and will be more stable for your livestock. It also helps average out the ever so slightly differing water levels between ATO fills a little better.

2. Running both at the same time won't effect wear and tear but will make ATO a lot simpler. (Set both to add to make them spin at exactly the same time)

3. I don't remember off the top of my head. It was actually based on water volume not time but I don't remember the figure. Russ probably knows.

You might be an engineer if...You have no life and can prove it mathematically.

Regular Vistor
    Quote Originally Posted by zombie View Post
    1. Lower speed will wear it out slower and will be more stable for your livestock. It also helps average out the ever so slightly differing water levels between ATO fills a little better.

2. Running both at the same time won't effect wear and tear but will make ATO a lot simpler. (Set both to add to make them spin at exactly the same time)

3. I don't remember off the top of my head. It was actually based on water volume not time but I don't remember the figure. Russ probably knows.

Thank you very much for this. Do you recommend installing check valves on the input sides to prevent siphoning? I positioned my system in the safest way (draw from below and release above) but want to make sure I'm doing the safest thing.

You can as an extra level of safety but it will only protect you in the add and not the remove line. It's not really necessary though since the head of the DOS itself works like a check valve for both directions.