Thread: Bubble Magus Curve D9

Regular Vistor

Bubble Magus Curve D9

So I have an issue with my Bubble Magus skimmer staying off when power is cut.
    I have my apex turn off my return, circulation pumps , and skimmer during feed mode so the fish can get the food and my skimmer doesn't flood when the water level rises in my pump. Which works out great until everything turns back on and the skimmers fallback is off and I have to manually press the controller knob to turn the skimmer back on. Does anyone know how to change it to just come back on with power or some type of controller hookup to just lower the power level during feeding and ramp back up once feed mode is over?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

A Fallback statement does not come into play during normal operations. See this sticky for info about Fallback: https://forum.neptunesystems.com/sho...About-FALLBACK

Always post the applicable programming when asking for assistance with something like this.
    Please do not send me PMs with technical questions or requesting assistance - use the forums for Apex help. PM me ONLY if the matter is of a private or personal nature. Thanks.

Regular Vistor
    Well it is not so much the programming of the apex than it is the skimmer itself. I'm just trying to find somebody who has encountered the same issue with a bubble magus skimmer and has figured out a DYI solution to when feed mode is enabled and the apex stops the skimmer. How did they get the skimmer to turn back on without physically turning it back on via the bubble magus DC controller.
    So more of a question on DYI such as has anyone figured out a way to bypass the bubble magus controller than how fallbacks work and where to apply them.
    I don't think I can use a 24v output because the skimmer uses over 40 watts. Maybe a way to use the 0-10v VDM's or another direction.

How many pins is the connector going to the pump? 2, 3, or 4?

Do you have a digital multimeter?

You might be an engineer if...You have no life and can prove it mathematically.

Regular Vistor
    I do have a digital multimeter but I have not opened it up yet. I can get in to it in the morning and see what is going on inside.

Regular Vistor

Ok got it open and here is what i got. Three wires going to the pump.
    In order to get the skimmer going after power is turned on I have to press and hold the adjustment wheel for 5 seconds

Since its three wire there are some potential hacks that could give you direct apex control to change the percentage with the VDM, but more digging is required.

You need to figure our which pin is 24V hot, 24V ground, and which is signal.

The slightly trickier part (might be easier to contact manufacturer unless you have a multimeter with a duty cycle setting) is to determine the voltage range of the signal pin to ground and whether it is PWM or analog control.

Sorry about my misunderstanding - I was think in Apex terms, not realizing you were talking about the way the BM D9 itself works.

So after any loss of power to the DC pump controller, it requires manual intervention to get it running again?
    Please do not send me PMs with technical questions or requesting assistance - use the forums for Apex help. PM me ONLY if the matter is of a private or personal nature. Thanks.

Regular Vistor
    Zombie I only have a cheapo harbor freight multi-meter so it probably does not have a duty cycle setting. I've contacted Bubble-magus and so far the only response was asking what country I was from... So not too much help thus far. I'm heading to Reefers Direct on Tuesday and they are a certified Bubble Magus dealer so I hope I can get some information out of them and maybe there is a (up, up, down, down, left, right, left, right, A, B, A, B, select, start) code I can enter and get it to default to a power on state instead.

Russ, No worries man. I probably should have said if defaults to off after any power loss. Using fallback can easily make one think apex more than the device itself.
    but yes after a power loss I have to physically press a button for 5 seconds for it to start back up. That is why I was thinking maybe there is a way to turn it down via apex than turning off the outlet during feed mode so it doesn't over flow when the water level in the sump rises when the return shuts off.

Let me know what you find out. The hack varies depending on wether it is 0-5V (most common), 0-10V, or PWM voltages (usually these are 4 pin but not always).

Regular Vistor
    Well the dealer says there is no way to change the start up default to the skimmer. No response from the company as well. So I guess time to start testing to see how to modify it.

Regular Vistor

Bubble Magus Curve D9

So I was thinking about the skimmer problem. And not starting up without having the button pressed. Then I had a thought. Does it matter how long the button is pressed? Like can it be pressed indefinably? So I tried it out. Turns out it doesn't care if it is released. So a cheap solution has been created.

I will work on a better solution but this will at least allow the feed mode to work. Power goes off skimmer goes off. Power return skimmer turns on 5 seconds later.

New User
    Quote Originally Posted by John1214 View Post
    So I was thinking about the skimmer problem. And not starting up without having the button pressed. Then I had a thought. Does it matter how long the button is pressed? Like can it be pressed indefinably? So I tried it out. Turns out it doesn't care if it is released. So a cheap solution has been created.

I will work on a better solution but this will at least allow the feed mode to work. Power goes off skimmer goes off. Power return skimmer turns on 5 seconds later.

I have the same skimmer with my apex and I'm trying to figure out the same exact thing. Did you just put something to hold the button in indefinitely, and it would start up once to turned on? Thanks for the idea!!

Regular Vistor
    That's exactly what I did. I just used one of the zip tie pads and a spare LED lens to push down the button. It works like a charm.

New User
    Very clever. I was considering purchasing this skimmer but hesitant due to this default power off "flaw". This might just work well for me after all. No intention of hijacking your thread but figured I would ask while I was here: How do you like the skimmer?

Regular Vistor
    Skimmer works great. I have it in a 210 with 5 medium sized tangs, pair of small clowns, orange spot goby, 1 purple firefish, 5 green chromis, and about 15-20 corals and it is keeping up with no issues. I have a refugium in the sump and nitrates have been measuring in the 5-10 ppm with no water changes. Just did a big water change yesterday but it was more to replace trace nutrients in the tank.

New User
    Yo! This is super clever man. Thanks for the tip. Not sure if you are on this forum anymore, but wanted to give you props before stealing the idea

Regular Vistor
    That is for the props! Steal away on the idea. I am still using this as a workaround.

Regular Vistor
    Your idea works like a charm.

ended up using legos.

8F5C1480-6828-4003-B475-E7433E7AA0A9.jpg

Does anyone have the part number for the waterproof connector to the skimmers power line. I was planning on using a dc deiver that i had lying atound. But don’t want to cut the existing cable. I tried to get the connector onlise. But ended up geting the wrong size.