Thread: Faulty Variable Speed Ports: Need help confirming they are bad.

Faulty Variable Speed Ports: Need help confirming they are bad.

I have been trying to control 2 DC pumps via the variable speed ports to no avail. I need to confirm if the ports are working correctly before I dive into the pumps themselves. Here is what I am doing and the results.

I am testing via male ethernet cable end (patch cable)... so pins go R to L 1-8.
    I am getting 0v between 1&2 and 5&6 (which I believe are +/- V for V1 and V2 respectively)
    I am getting 10-14v between pin 6&8 and 2&8? (so 2 and 6 are hot) and 8 is ground?

Make sure you are using the right convention for the numbering...

You might be an engineer if...You have no life and can prove it mathematically.

Quote Originally Posted by zombie View Post
    Make sure you are using the right convention for the numbering...

Well then this is even more confusing....

This would make ports 3 and 7 hot?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mebeknob, from your first post, it sounds like you were using the reverse of the actual standard pin numbering.

This diagram may help, as it's specifically for the variable ports.

https://forum.neptunesystems.com/sho...ull=1#post9636

Do not measure on any pins other than between 1-2 and between 5-6. Any voltage you read on other pins is of no interest. Set the variable outputs to manual ON first - I'm assuming you did that, but it can't hurt to mention.
    Please do not send me PMs with technical questions or requesting assistance - use the forums for Apex help. PM me ONLY if the matter is of a private or personal nature. Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by RussM View Post
    Do not measure on any pins other than between 1-2 and between 5-6. Any voltage you read on other pins is of no interest. Set the variable outputs to manual ON first - I'm assuming you did that, but it can't hurt to mention.
    Yes they are manually on.

Just to clear up any confusion.
    Based on this picture I get about 2 mV between 1&2 and between 5&6. Just enough for my multimeter to pick up polarity.

I'm just confused what the results mean. 🤷🏽*♀️

What DC pumps are you trying to control?

Sent from my SM-G925W8 using Tapatalk
    Current: 120 Gallon Peninsula DIY system.

If you are getting wrong readings with the correct pinout, the first thing to do is repeat the test with an Ethernet cable that you know works (connects to the internet on another device) and see if you get identical readings.

If you still get bad readings, inspect the port in the VDM for bent pins.

ONLY test pin 1&2 and 5&6 according to your picture of the yellow cable. Do not test any other pins together. Also be sure that you have a patch cable, not a cross over cable. It normally will say on the cable if it is a cross over cable.

Depending on what DC pump you are using, some are not controllable with the Apex. If you try, you could damage the ports. I read that you are using a DC12000. Are you sure it is the DC and not the DST or DCT? If the pump is blue, then you should be good. If it is any other color, then it is not the DC and it is not controllable with Apex. I only ask as they stopped making the DC pump a long time ago.

Quote Originally Posted by Torx View Post
    What DC pumps are you trying to control?

Jebao via controller. But I will attack them next once she know these ports are good/bad.

Faulty Variable Speed Ports: Need help confirming they are bad.

ONLY test pin 1&2 and 5&6 according to your picture of the yellow cable. Do not test any other pins together. Also be sure that you have a patch cable, not a cross over cable. It normally will say on the cable if it is a cross over cable.

Depending on what DC pump you are using, some are not controllable with the Apex. If you try, you could damage the ports. I read that you are using a DC12000. Are you sure it is the DC and not the DST or DCT? If the pump is blue, then you should be good. If it is any other color, then it is not the DC and it is not controllable with Apex. I only ask as they stopped making the DC pump a long time ago.
    Yes I was careful to get the DC1200. It is the blue bodied ones.

Also Ive used two separate patch cables with the same results.

ONLY test pin 1&2 and 5&6 according to your picture of the yellow cable.
    I get 3-4 mV between those pins when the ports are fully on.

Does this mean the ports are bad?

Sounds like time to contact support

Did you get this figured out? There is a lot of misinformation in posts and I did successfully wire in 2 Waveline pumps on a single cat-5 cable.

New User
    I'm having a similar issue controlling two Jebao SW8 with a cable I built using Torx's specs. When I tested the cables, the pumps work (ON/OFF) but I can't seem to vary the speed. So I assumed I messed up the cable. Un-wrapped the (double) cable and it looks OK.
    So I decided to make another RJ-45 cable with only one connector and then used that with a multimeter attached to the proper channel(s) on both VSPs. What I get is 0.027v (OFF) and 10.05 (ON). That would seem OK when the pump profile has Max Intensirty set to 100, but when I change that to 30, I would expect to see less than 10V on the cable.

Am I missing something here ??

I'm attaching my Apex profile and virtual outlet for reference, as I'm new to Apex programming and man it's kind of weird logic...

Profile.png

Outlet.png

Quote Originally Posted by Hose View Post
    I'm having a similar issue controlling two Jebao SW8 with a cable I built using Torx's specs. When I tested the cables, the pumps work (ON/OFF) but I can't seem to vary the speed. So I assumed I messed up the cable. Un-wrapped the (double) cable and it looks OK.
    So I decided to make another RJ-45 cable with only one connector and then used that with a multimeter attached to the proper channel(s) on both VSPs. What I get is 0.027v (OFF) and 10.05 (ON). That would seem OK when the pump profile has Max Intensirty set to 100, but when I change that to 30, I would expect to see less than 10V on the cable.

Am I missing something here ??

I'm attaching my Apex profile and virtual outlet for reference, as I'm new to Apex programming and man it's kind of weird logic...

Profile.png

Outlet.png
    Where are you measuring? You should get 5V between ground and signal of the waterproof connector at 100%

Are you remembering to upload the profile at 30% min and max, and also set the outlet to auto?

What size resistors did you use?

New User
    Sorry, I should have been more clear. The voltages I'm measuring are using a straight RJ45 cable (not the Torx cable) with one end connected to the VSP on the Apex and the other end is just the Gnd/~V cables connected to a multimeter. Voltages of 0-10 are valid for Apex (without the Torx modifications), my problem is that as I change the profile values, I don't see a voltage change.
    I'm doing this via the on-board Apex dashboard and using my Android phone (app) to turn the VSP ON/OFF.
    And yes, I upload the changes each time.

Quote Originally Posted by Hose View Post
    Sorry, I should have been more clear. The voltages I'm measuring are using a straight RJ45 cable (not the Torx cable) with one end connected to the VSP on the Apex and the other end is just the Gnd/~V cables connected to a multimeter. Voltages of 0-10 are valid for Apex (without the Torx modifications), my problem is that as I change the profile values, I don't see a voltage change.
    I'm doing this via the on-board Apex dashboard and using my Android phone (app) to turn the VSP ON/OFF.
    And yes, I upload the changes each time.
    Do you mean auto when you say on/off? If not that's your problem.

New User
    Well, I'm happy to tell you you are RIGHT... I assumed (bad word) that ON would operate on the profile settings; Obviously ON is 100% power.

Thanks Zombie...