Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Best practice in calibrating the 2016 salinity probe

NSI Member
    Well, I just saw this and hopefully I can reuse my calibration fluid since that is the only packet I will place an order for ph and salinity probes so that was worth it finding this.

My temp is 71.8 at the moment while it is cycling. I decided to attach the probes today and didn't think to float the bag. The instructions didn't really mention it and I didn't think of it. So I went ahead and went to config, inputs, salinity probe, auto calibrate, and now looking at the dashboard it is showing 47'ish. I came here to see what I did, read a bit, and see that I should have had the tank at 77 and float the bag...

I did save the fluid now wondering if I have to recalibrate ph probe for not floating that bag either.

New User
    PH probe is more accurate if you float the bag, I had a .15 difference in PH after I recalibrated after floating for 30 minutes.

You can always test by dipping your PH probe in a floated bag of PH fluid. Also, I dip the probe in RO water and stir for a few seconds than dry before putting it into the 7.0 packet and 10.0 packet.

Exclamation

Moderators - can we make this thread a sticky? Or direct me to the "official" documentation on how to calibrate the salinity probe? I read quite a few threads searching for the instructions. Couldn't find it in the documentation section on the Neptune site either. If it exists somewhere, I'd appreciate a link or directions on where to find it.

Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by MickeyCT View Post
    Moderators - can we make this thread a sticky? Or direct me to the "official" documentation on how to calibrate the salinity probe? I read quite a few threads searching for the instructions. Couldn't find it in the documentation section on the Neptune site either. If it exists somewhere, I'd appreciate a link or directions on where to find it.

Thanks.
    The official instructions are here

https://www.neptunesystems.com/downl...PM2_manual.pdf

However, these instructions or the BRS video on calibrations do not touch on the most important gotchas including: the dry step can be performed in a matter of minutes by blotting with a paper towel, a brand new probe needs to soak for a couple hours to several days before it will hold calibration properly, that the temp of the packet needs to exactly match tank temp or it can significantly skew the measurement, and that the probe easily collects bubbles and often needs to be inverted to remove them.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Hmmm. I don't have a PM2, I have the new Apex 2016 and I guess I just expected instructions specific to that unit rather than figuring out which parts of the PM2 were pertinent, especially given the cost of these things. Mines been set up about 8 months and I wanted to recalibrate but want to be sure I'm following the correct procedures. Apex Fusion has two options, automatic and manual. I've been reading numerous threads and majority say to use Manual. If that's true then what's the purpose of automatic?

Quote Originally Posted by MickeyCT View Post
    Hmmm. I don't have a PM2, I have the new Apex 2016 and I guess I just expected instructions specific to that unit rather than figuring out which parts of the PM2 were pertinent, especially given the cost of these things. Mines been set up about 8 months and I wanted to recalibrate but want to be sure I'm following the correct procedures. Apex Fusion has two options, automatic and manual. I've been reading numerous threads and majority say to use Manual. If that's true then what's the purpose of automatic?
    Automatic is better for those who didn't take the time to read the manual and the forums before calibrating since it has the benefit of alerting out of range and the settling point is less guesswork for a new user.

The reason manual is suggested is because it allows you to let the probe settle beyond what automatic would do and let's you circumvent the out of range. If you understand what normal ranges are and when a value is truly settled, it gives you an accuracy edge and less of a headache.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Frequent Visitor

What units does the conductivity probe read in?

Trying to re-calibrate my conductivity probe after a vinegar cleaning. It's always worked well, and has been stable. Running the manual calibration, I get a stable reading of 0 with a dry probe. Moving to the 53,000 us/cm step, I get a stable reading of 636. When I complete the calibration, I get a result of 42 ppt on the Fusion dashboard. I'm using my tank water as the calibration fluid, as it is checked against a calibrated refractometer, and is definitely 35 ppt, 1.026 refractive index. Temp of the calibration fluid is not an issue, since this is just my sump.

If 53,000 us/cm is 35 ppt, and I've told the system that my tank is 53,000 us/cm, then why does it read higher than 35 after calibration? Does a raw reading of 636 look correct for 35 ppt salinity in the groups opinion? I'm assuming the raw readings are millivolts, and the input is a 1volt full scale input. Is this correct?

Maybe it's just time for a new probe, it's been over a year, but it's been reliable so far.

Thanks,

Frequent Visitor
    Quote Originally Posted by kylarse View Post
    Trying to re-calibrate my conductivity probe after a vinegar cleaning. It's always worked well, and has been stable. Running the manual calibration, I get a stable reading of 0 with a dry probe. Moving to the 53,000 us/cm step, I get a stable reading of 636. When I complete the calibration, I get a result of 42 ppt on the Fusion dashboard. I'm using my tank water as the calibration fluid, as it is checked against a calibrated refractometer, and is definitely 35 ppt, 1.026 refractive index. Temp of the calibration fluid is not an issue, since this is just my sump.

If 53,000 us/cm is 35 ppt, and I've told the system that my tank is 53,000 us/cm, then why does it read higher than 35 after calibration? Does a raw reading of 636 look correct for 35 ppt salinity in the groups opinion? I'm assuming the raw readings are millivolts, and the input is a 1volt full scale input. Is this correct?

Maybe it's just time for a new probe, it's been over a year, but it's been reliable so far.

Thanks,
    Update, disconnected probe, and ran calibration followed by reboot of Apex. This cleared the old calibrations out. Running new fresh calibration now works.

New User
    Quote Originally Posted by FoxTalbott View Post
    Got it! and Thank you.

I also asked this question about compensation with Neptune's support and I'm still not understanding the relationship and why needing to set the temp compensation and it's not clear to me in the emails? When I calibrated with compensation set at 0.0 the Cond probe reads 33.7 in the tank @ 78.4F. When adding the compensation 2.2 it drops to 33.

I've come to respect & trust all your threads/advice for they have helped me solve a lot of issues as I learn. My question is, I'm I good with compensation set at 0.0 & Cond probe reads 33.7 (in the tank)@ 78.4F or use/set the compensation to 2.2? Either way, will I need to raise my salinity to get closer to the 35ppt mark (?) or am I good within the current range?

emails with Neptun support in descending order:

From Neptun's support:

On Jun 29, 2017, at 5:11 PM, Neptune Systems <[email protected]> wrote:

If you are wanting to set the temp compensation then I recommend placing the packet of the solution in the tank to bring it up to temperature. 25C/77 degrees is ideal, but not mandatory

You will need to set the temp range 2.2 is a good starting point and then click save icon.

Now follow the manual calibration instructions. when it is time to calibrate in the solution place the temp probe and the Cond probe into the pouch.

Please let us know if you have any other questions, or need any additional clarification.

Please Reference Ticket: http://support.neptunesystems.com/he.../tickets/79354

Thank you,

Neptune Systems Support Team

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

ME

On Thu, 29 Jun at 2:47 PM

Does the celebration solution & the temperature probe need to be at 25c/77degrees and set the temp compensation in advanced to 2.2 from its default of 0.0?

Or does that not pertain to Apex 2016?

On Neptune's forum & YouTube, they advise it needs to be calibrated this way.

Thank you,

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~

From Neptun's support:

On Jun 29, 2017, at 4:12 PM, Neptune Systems <[email protected]> wrote:

Below is the best way to calibrate the Conductivity Probe:

How do I calibrate my Neptune Systems Conductivity Probe?

MANUAL CALIBRATION

Step 1:
    Start by logging into your APEX Dashboard and clicking on the Three Gears Icon and then the INPUTS Icon

Step 2:
    Select the SALT(BASE_COND) Option.

Step 3:
    Ensure you have the Conductivity Probe securely plugged into the APEX.

Step 4:
    Click on the ADVANCED option.

Step 5:
    Scroll down and click on the MANUAL PROBE CALIBRATION option.

Step 6:
    Follow the steps it prompts you to do.

Air dry the Conductivity Probe. (This can take 1 minute or less to dry) *note: Some customers have used canned air

Step 7:
    Next Select Ok once the probe has settled (the values not changing after 15-30 seconds)

*Note the typical settling number range is 60-90 when calibrating Dry

Step 8:
    Select the Calibration Solution you are about to use.

*Note the Apex base unit can ONLY calibrate using 53,000, a PM2 module can offer other ranges

Step 9:
    Dip the Conductivity Probe into that calibration solution. Ensure to gently swish the probe, so as to avoid micro bubbles and the surface of the probe.
    This settle number may not completely stop. But, generally when it's settling down go ahead and click next. (the values not changing after 15-30 seconds)

*Note the typical settling number range is 200-900 when calibrating in the 53,000 Solution

Step 10:
    Now you will get this message that you have successfully calibrated the probe

Step 11:
    Once the calibration is complete your Salt reading on the APEX Dashboard should read around 34.7~35.3 inside of that packet of calibrating solution. In dry air, the probe will read 0. In the solution it will read 34.7~35.3. If it does then the probe is calibrated successfully. You are now complete!

Please let us know if you have any other questions, or need any additional clarification.

Please Reference Ticket: http://support.neptunesystems.com/he.../tickets/79354

Thank you,

Neptune Systems Support Team
    Hello, it is not clear to me that if in the first step I should perform with the dry probe or with the solution of 53,000? that is, first step dry probe, second step introduce in the solution of 53,000? thanks.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234