Thread: Salinity Probe drops BIG TIME When Temp Goes Up

Frequent Visitor

Salinity Probe drops BIG TIME When Temp Goes Up

I know salinity is closely related to the temperature however now that summer is here my tank temperature during the day goes from normal 77.5 to around 2 degrees higher by later in the day and when the temperature goes up just the two degrees my salinity probe drops from 35ppm down to 33.5! Then during the night as the temperature drops the salinity goes back up to normal.

The biggest issue is that when the reading drops that low I keep getting email alarms warning me of the low salinity even though in reality it's still around the normal 35.

Is there anything that I can do to stop getting the email alarms without of course deleting the alarm code?

AND is this normal for the salinity probe drop THAT much on just two degrees?

That sounds about right actually. Measured conductivity varies roughly 2 ppt per degree Celcius if you do not enable temp compensation (varies a bit depending on which study you look at and what the relative concentration of NaCl vs other elements)

Enable temp compensation and you won't have this problem (or will at least minimize it to like 0.1 or 0.2 change vs the 1.5 you are getting now).

You might be an engineer if...You have no life and can prove it mathematically.

Frequent Visitor
    I do have temp compensation enabled at 2.2!

Can you post your cond graph overlayed with temp?

Frequent Visitor
    Quote Originally Posted by zombie View Post
    Can you post your cond graph overlayed with temp?

Screenshot_2017-06-20-19-43-07.jpg

Here you go

Change the temp compensation to 1.1 as a start. My calculations show 0.6, but the problem could also be the firmware using 2.2ppt per degree F instead of C so try 1.1 first. If that doesn't even it out, Change to 0.6

Frequent Visitor
    Quote Originally Posted by zombie View Post
    Change the temp compensation to 1.1 as a start. My calculations show 0.6, but the problem could also be the firmware using 2.2ppt per degree F instead of C so try 1.1 first. If that doesn't even it out, Change to 0.6

I changed it to the 1.1 and now reads 34.7 which I'll gladly take! Thanks so much for your help!