Thread: Optical sensor remains in OPEN state on FMM even if it is submerged

Regular Vistor

Optical sensor remains in OPEN state on FMM even if it is submerged

Installed optical sensor in water reservoir facing up (magnetic mount). It is completely submerged but still shows OPEN in fusion.
    Tried rebooting FMM does not work.
    Its connected in input 3 of FMM and used one of the task wizards to program it.

Not sure how to fix it as the alarm it continuously ON even if sensor is submerged..

Secondly - how can I name the input ports on FMM in the console ??

Make sure the switch is seated properly in the FMM. That would be the most likely reason it would always show open. Also, Make sure you are looking at the right switch.

You can rename the input ports in the probe/input setup page of the classic dashboard.

You might be an engineer if...You have no life and can prove it mathematically.

Regular Vistor
    Double checked the switch is seated properly in the FMM.
    Also saw something strange - the status between the classic dashboard and apex fusion is also not matching - for the Port 1 sensor ..classic shows closed but fusion shows open.

Thanks for the suggestion to change names in classic view - was able to do it.

How long are you submerging it for? Fusion can take up to 30 seconds to refresh status and the classic dashboard does it every 5-10 seconds.

Regular Vistor
    The reservoir sensor has been submerged for almost more than an hour !! It showed CLOSED for a few minutes and then switched to OPEN and has not changed since then in either classic or fusion..

Is there a possibility of a bad sensor ? This one just came yesterday as brand new ..

Regular Vistor
    Stupid question - when fully submerged is the switch supposed to indicate OPEN or CLOSED..

As per documentation COVERED=CLOSED but now when I took sensor out of the reservoir it is showing CLOSED..something very weird almost opposite behavior ..

Could be a bad sensor. Send an email to support to get the process started. While you wait for their response, see if the same behavior occurs in a different sensor port (or put another sensor that you know works in this port) to determine if the problem lies in the port or the sensor. Also update your firmware and module firmware to rule that out as a possible issue as well.

Regular Vistor
    Thanks for your help...

update your firmware and module firmware - DONE.

I don't have a spare sensor..but let me try FMM port 4 and see what happens !!

Regular Vistor
    FMM port 4 behaves the same - submerged shows OPEN and when taken out of water it shows CLOSED..

Does it smell like bad sensor or bad FMM module ?

Not sure. The behavior is definitely backwards from what the documentation shows. There might be a hidden setting or something I'm not aware about that support knows how to fix. Could just be someone wired the sensor backwards when it was assembled.

Regular Vistor
    Can you provide directions on how to open a ticket with apex ?..is it online or have to call in their customer support ?

Used to be email. Now they have a contact form here.

https://www.neptunesystems.com/support/contact-support/

Regular Vistor
    My primary sensor is behaving the same..the one the sump --I see it half submerged - but it is reporting as OPEN but it not turning the fill pump ON..

Flip the code for now until support can troubleshoot (you will not hear from them until Monday or Tuesday) and make sure to use the When command in case they decide to flip back to normal on their own.

Check the port configuration in the FMM using the Configuration->Module Setup page of the Classic Dashboard. It sounds to me like you might have it set to Water on Floor mode instead of Optical Sensor mode.
    Please do not send me PMs with technical questions or requesting assistance - use the forums for Apex help. PM me ONLY if the matter is of a private or personal nature. Thanks.

Regular Vistor
    Thanks Russ - that seems to be the problem.
    It was marked as water on floor - changed it to optical sensor !!
    Will monitor and see if it continues to work - but I feel this change will fix it.

Not sure if I missed this step in the documentation but you are my savior ..spent last 2-3 hours puzzled on this problem