Thread: Leak Detection not working

Regular Vistor

Leak Detection not working

Hi -

I've just installed and configured my FMM and added a solid floor leak detection probe to port 1. I also updated the FMM firmware.

However, when I test the leak detection probe by putting water on the sensor nothing happens - no alarms or indication that it has sensed the water.

Does anyone have any ideas?

Thanks!

You are running the FMM connected to an Apex and not the FMM that came with the ATK in standalone correct? If its the later Port 3 does Leak Detection.

If it is connected to an Apex go to the modules page under FMM - Configure. All of the ports are set to auto? Port 1 should say "Water On Floor Sensor" if thats the one you want to use.

On the dashboard find the unused tiles by unlocking them on the top right and dragging in the first switch. Its most likely Swx1_1, the numbers could be different if you have multiple switches and/or FMMs. _1 should be the first port though.

Drag it onto your dashboard. Now when you get the bottom of the sensor wet does it change from Open to Closed? The sensor should detect it almost instantly but Fusion takes a minute or two to refresh the screen to show the change. If this is it I'd recommend changing it to Leak1 or something similar

In your Alert program add Swx1_1 or Leak1

If Swx1_1 CLOSED then ON

Regular Vistor
    Hi -

Thanks for the clear instructions - most appreciated!

Unfortunately, I'd already done all those steps and the probe never registers getting we.

Btw, it is a non-ATK FMM connected directly to the Apex 2016 via an Aquabus.

Quote Originally Posted by eschulist View Post
    You are running the FMM connected to an Apex and not the FMM that came with the ATK in standalone correct? If its the later Port 3 does Leak Detection.

If it is connected to an Apex go to the modules page under FMM - Configure. All of the ports are set to auto? Port 1 should say "Water On Floor Sensor" if thats the one you want to use.

On the dashboard find the unused tiles by unlocking them on the top right and dragging in the first switch. Its most likely Swx1_1, the numbers could be different if you have multiple switches and/or FMMs. _1 should be the first port though.

Drag it onto your dashboard. Now when you get the bottom of the sensor wet does it change from Open to Closed? The sensor should detect it almost instantly but Fusion takes a minute or two to refresh the screen to show the change. If this is it I'd recommend changing it to Leak1 or something similar

If Swx1_1 CLOSED then ON

Try it in a different FMM port.

BTW, a FMM will never be at Aquabus address 1 - it will almost always be at address 3 or higher on a 2016 Apex with an EB832. So the switch input name will not be Sw1_1; it will be Swx#_1 where # is the Aquabus address of the FMM. Port 2 will be Swx#_2, port 3 will be Swx#_3, etc.
    Please do not send me PMs with technical questions or requesting assistance - use the forums for Apex help. PM me ONLY if the matter is of a private or personal nature. Thanks.

Regular Vistor
    Thanks for the response Russ.

I figured this out in the end. I had first removed the ALD and ALD probe via Fusion from my Apex and then added the FMM and FMM leak probe via Fusion to my Apex. I then renamed the FMM digital switch that the probe was plugged into to SumpLe. The problem was that this was the same name as I had named the ALD probe. Even though the ALD probe had been previously removed Fusion got confused and thought I was still referring to the old probe and was ignoring the new FMM one.

Anyway, I simply renamed the new probe to something else and now it's all working as expected - hopefully this write up will help someone else in the future.

Quote Originally Posted by RussM View Post
    Try it in a different FMM port.

BTW, a FMM will never be at Aquabus address 1 - it will almost always be at address 3 or higher on a 2016 Apex with an EB832. So the switch input name will not be Sw1_1; it will be Swx#_1 where # is the Aquabus address of the FMM. Port 2 will be Swx#_2, port 3 will be Swx#_3, etc.

New User

No Alerts being sent for leaks

Quote Originally Posted by eschulist View Post

If Swx1_1 CLOSED then ON

My Leak detectors are plugged directly into my FMM module. It detects the leak because it closes on my Fusion page, but no Alarm is sent out (tex/Email). I added the comands in on the outlet page, still not working. Help! I am brand new to Apex.

Frequent Contributor
    Quote Originally Posted by sibetribe View Post
    My Leak detectors are plugged directly into my FMM module. It detects the leak because it closes on my Fusion page, but no Alarm is sent out (tex/Email). I added the comands in on the outlet page, still not working. Help! I am brand new to Apex.
    Do you have an alarm already present?

The Apex can only send one alarm notification at a time so if you already have an alarm for tmp or Salt and then you try to trigger a leak alarm you will not get a notification until the first alarm condition is resolved.
    Jon

New User

Thank you!

Quote Originally Posted by jonmos75 View Post
    Do you have an alarm already present?

The Apex can only send one alarm notification at a time so if you already have an alarm for tmp or Salt and then you try to trigger a leak alarm you will not get a notification until the first alarm condition is resolved.
    Thank you so much! I was going crazy lol
    My ORP probe kept sending me an alert for being below 200. I know it takes awhile to settle so not even sure if that's accurate. So it was blocking my LDK. Appreciate your time!

New User

Faulty Leak detector?

Hi, Have just completed my Apex el install and am having a small issue with my ATK. I have a lark detector plugged into FFM 3. I am receiving messages saying it is closed and this is preventing the ATO pump from initialising. When I unplug the leak detector the ATO works fine. The leak detector sensor is dry and does not appear to be shorting anywhere Does this indicate a faulty detector? Is it serviceable? Thanks

Frequent Contributor SuncrestReef's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Struttmaster View Post
    Hi, Have just completed my Apex el install and am having a small issue with my ATK. I have a lark detector plugged into FFM 3. I am receiving messages saying it is closed and this is preventing the ATO pump from initialising. When I unplug the leak detector the ATO works fine. The leak detector sensor is dry and does not appear to be shorting anywhere Does this indicate a faulty detector? Is it serviceable? Thanks
    Try placing the leak sensor on a layer of paper towel to prevent false-positive readings due to simple condensation or certain surface textures. In the event of a real leak, the paper towel will saturate and trigger the leak sensor. Also confirm the sensor's plug is fully seated in the FMM socket. Sometimes it takes one more firm push to get it to click into place.

New User
    Quote Originally Posted by SuncrestReef View Post
    Try placing the leak sensor on a layer of paper towel to prevent false-positive readings due to simple condensation or certain surface textures. In the event of a real leak, the paper towel will saturate and trigger the leak sensor. Also confirm the sensor's plug is fully seated in the FMM socket. Sometimes it takes one more firm push to get it to click into place.
    Thanks, that did the trick!

New User
    i know this thread is old so sorry for posting but i just wanted to say i had a similar issue as NYCEnglish and maybe it will help someone else.

I replaced my FMM with a new module due to ATK issues and I reused the same name for my leak sensors and was wondering why the input would show closed but wouldn't trigger my alarm and leak programming. after changing the name slightly of my leak sensors from the old FMM names everything started working properly again. I would have never thought the input name would break the programming like that so thank you for the idea.

I wonder if my old FMM was actually fine and it was the name of the optical sensor the whole time and why i would never get a high water alarm even though the optical would show closed. i did replace that FMM a while back because the ATK pump output died and that's about when my tank water high sensor stopped triggering. hmmm

Quote Originally Posted by NYCEnglish View Post
    Thanks for the response Russ.

I figured this out in the end. I had first removed the ALD and ALD probe via Fusion from my Apex and then added the FMM and FMM leak probe via Fusion to my Apex. I then renamed the FMM digital switch that the probe was plugged into to SumpLe. The problem was that this was the same name as I had named the ALD probe. Even though the ALD probe had been previously removed Fusion got confused and thought I was still referring to the old probe and was ignoring the new FMM one.

Anyway, I simply renamed the new probe to something else and now it's all working as expected - hopefully this write up will help someone else in the future.