Thread: AWM Module with AI Hydra 26/52

Regular Vistor

AWM Module with AI Hydra 26/52

Hello all. As we all are, I'm an Apex freak and love my modules. I'm grabbing some used Aqua Illumination Hydra 26 (2 of them) and Hydra 52 (one of them) for my 6' 120g. All of which are the non-HD (new) modules. With the package is coming one of the AI Director modules - which basically gives it wifi from what I understand. However, I'm curious if the Apex AWM module that's geared for these puppies gives the same functions and or more/less? AKA, wondering if I just toss the director and grab an AWM module and keep it all in the family.

Thoughts? Suggestions? Thanks!

NSI Member
    I have Hydra 52's and decided to use the director. It has been working well. A couple things led me to this. First you can set the photo period to match the seasons in a particular part of the world. Second, the director has a nice manual interface that lets me quickly adjust the lighting when showing off the tank or taking photos. There are a few quirky things in the interface like hiting done then save when setting some things up. Another thing that got me was using the moon settings. You have to restrict that to night hours or it will also dim your daylight levels with the moon cycle.

Sent from my SM-T820 using Tapatalk

Regular Vistor
    Quote Originally Posted by nicholb View Post
    I have Hydra 52's and decided to use the director. It has been working well. A couple things led me to this. First you can set the photo period to match the seasons in a particular part of the world. Second, the director has a nice manual interface that lets me quickly adjust the lighting when showing off the tank or taking photos. There are a few quirky things in the interface like hiting done then save when setting some things up. Another thing that got me was using the moon settings. You have to restrict that to night hours or it will also dim your daylight levels with the moon cycle.

Thanks! I have the apex moon LEDs already actually so the moonlight option of the AI's aren't going to be needed - unless it's some big difference.

So, you'd recommend me to stick with the director versus going with the full apex AWM?

NSI Member
    If you already have a director, I don't see much of a reason to buy an AWM unless you have something specific in mind that needs to be tied to something already on the Apex. For the moon lighting, it would just allow out to get rid of the other LED's. Nothing really special. With the Hydra you can pick what colors you want to use for moon lighting and the director can vary the intensity with the moon cycle.

Regular Vistor
    Quote Originally Posted by nicholb View Post
    If you already have a director, I don't see much of a reason to buy an AWM unless you have something specific in mind that needs to be tied to something already on the Apex. For the moon lighting, it would just allow out to get rid of the other LED's. Nothing really special. With the Hydra you can pick what colors you want to use for moon lighting and the director can vary the intensity with the moon cycle.

I agree. I have 3 Hydra 56 with the "wireless" controller. I quickly bought he AWM so that all the control would be consolidated. It was a pain to get them to all work correctly, but eventually everything turned out fine. The problem is when I went to replace a broken light, I replaced with a Hydra26HD which isn't supported by the Apex. I was able to get ahold of a director just to play around and see how it worked for me. The Director doesn't support it either. The reason is that the HD line of Hydras are fully wireless and don't a separate conduit. The prob now is that I can't get an update xact color and intensity match with the 56s.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Regular Vistor
    I have 10 AI Hydra 52s on a AWM. I went the AWM route for consistency across my APEX classic. I concur with the pain to program, but once it is setup, it works for a long period of time. Mine have been going for over 3 years.

Regular Vistor
    Quote Originally Posted by pdisner View Post
    I agree. I have 3 Hydra 56 with the "wireless" controller. I quickly bought he AWM so that all the control would be consolidated. It was a pain to get them to all work correctly, but eventually everything turned out fine. The problem is when I went to replace a broken light, I replaced with a Hydra26HD which isn't supported by the Apex. I was able to get ahold of a director just to play around and see how it worked for me. The Director doesn't support it either. The reason is that the HD line of Hydras are fully wireless and don't a separate conduit. The prob now is that I can't get an update xact color and intensity match with the 56s.

I have the same problem. I'm very disappointed that my Hydras only lasted about 2 years

New User
    I have the same set up (3 hydra 52), my wireless controllers screen went bad somehow. I have the awm and for some reason cant get the lights to connect, did you have the same issue?

Regular Vistor

AI Hydra Issues

I have experienced reliability issues as well especially with their power supplies. I think I replaced approximately half of the them that I currently have. I now have one that is blinking, but have not solved the problem and I just had another power supply fail. My guess is it may be a thermal problem. As for getting them to work with the AWM, they can be temperamental, but in the end I got ten to attach. Some took numerous attempts.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk[/QUOTE]

I have 3 Hydra 26HDs over my tank (along with 4 T5s), and while I (and my corals) like them well enough, I've subsequently learned some things and don't think I'd go with them again. 1. Lack of Apex integration, downgraded from previous model, 2. Lighting control software options downgraded from previous model, 3. Weak wifi reception, even with an extender, while all other wireless devices in the same room show much better signal, 4. No useful lighting controls on the lights themselves.

I bought these well before I considered adding the Apex controller. Was somewhat disappointed on learning that I could monitor and control pretty much everything with the Apex except the lights. Have found myself grumbling 'should have gone with radions' more than once...