Thread: Siphon break clogging

New User

Siphon break clogging

I use kalkwasser in my top off tank and I have noticed that the siphon break will clog with precipitated kalk. Thank goodness for that float valve.

Any tricks to combat this?

Elevate the pump an inch or two on something or hang it elevated so it can't pull precipitate from the bottom of the container. Won't eliminate it completely but will help a ton.

You might be an engineer if...You have no life and can prove it mathematically.

You could also replace the supplied siphon break with a DIY one less prone to clogs. Basically run the line through a tee and from the tee run a 3ft length of airline up a wall and install a check valve on that (pointing in). The extra height will keep debris out of the check valve.

Frequent Visitor
    Quote Originally Posted by zombie View Post
    You could also replace the supplied siphon break with a DIY one less prone to clogs. Basically run the line through a tee and from the tee run a 3ft length of airline up a wall and install a check valve on that (pointing in). The extra height will keep debris out of the check valve.

Two questions:

1. Can the T be submerged in the ATO reservoir?
    2. Can you please point me somewhere to purchase the T and check valve?

Quote Originally Posted by Fringe09 View Post
    Two questions:

1. Can the T be submerged in the ATO reservoir?
    2. Can you please point me somewhere to purchase the T and check valve?
    Yes

Home depot/lowes for the tee. Check valve will take some trial and error.

Frequent Visitor
    Yes

Home depot/lowes for the tee. Check valve will take some trial and error.

I think I found the check valve. Will this work?

https://www.bulkreefsupply.com/ozone...eck-valve.html

I think I found the check valve. Will this work?

https://www.bulkreefsupply.com/ozone...eck-valve.html
    Probably. Manufacturers rarely post psi specs and it's impossible to calculate before hand without those. More than likely it will, but will require some experimentation to determine a height that will create enough vacuum pressure with the pump off to open the check valve and prevent breaking pressure without going high enough that the air compresses too much to prevent a full break. You are essentially trying to duplicate the physics of the vacuum break used in your toilet, in cars, and in sprinkler systems.

Frequent Visitor
    Probably. Manufacturers rarely post psi specs and it's impossible to calculate before hand without those. More than likely it will, but will require some experimentation to determine a height that will create enough vacuum pressure with the pump off to open the check valve and prevent breaking pressure without going high enough that the air compresses too much to prevent a full break. You are essentially trying to duplicate the physics of the vacuum break in your toilet or in cars.

The top of the reservoir is 20" and the top of ATK mounted on the sump is around 10". Can we assume a 3 to 4 feet airline up a wall be enough to break the siphon even if not knowing the psi specs?

The top of the reservoir is 20" and the top of ATK mounted on the sump is around 10". Can we assume a 3 to 4 feet airline up a wall be enough to break the siphon even if not knowing the psi specs?
    No. You have to test it (its a pretty complex fluid mechanic problem with too many unknowns to calculate). It's likely 3 ft will work but it depends on the check valve and the pump. Just cut a few different length (like 1 2 3 4 and 5 ft) and see which one is most reliable.

Frequent Visitor
    No. You have to test it (its a pretty complex fluid mechanic problem with too many unknowns to calculate). It's likely 3 ft will work but it depends on the check valve and the pump. Just cut a few different length (like 1 2 3 4 and 5 ft) and see which one is most reliable.

Thanks. I just bought the Neptune ATK and using the siphon break. Wanted a secondary solution in case I needed it one day.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk