Thread: Flow Sensor with No Flow most of the time - OK?

Flow Sensor with No Flow most of the time - OK?

Is there any reason why I can't use a 1/4" flow sensor to monitor when my RO/DI is activated to add water to my sump? In other words, there would be no flow most of the time, but I want an email alarm when the flow starts going.

I use Kalk for my topoff and will be adding the ATK soon to improve things and include some redundancy. The RO/DI connection is just one more redundancy to guard against the water level being too low, like my Kalk container needing to be refilled. I plan to set the level sensor lower than the Kalk low level sensor.

Mickey

Flow Sensor with No Flow most of the time - OK?

The usable range of the FS-25 sensor is 3-12GPH. Most hobbyist-size RO/DI units do not output enough to meet the minimum spec of the sensor.

So the answer to your question depends on the output flow rate of the RO unit.
    Please do not send me PMs with technical questions or requesting assistance - use the forums for Apex help. PM me ONLY if the matter is of a private or personal nature. Thanks.

Thanks, Russ. I forgot about that. I'll have to time how long it takes to fill a 45 gallon bucket with no other demands on the RO/DI system. Maybe a 5 gallon bucket would be easier.

Mickey

Unless your RODI has a dual membrane the flow will be too low. Typical is 75 GPD which is 3 gph. If you have a dual membrane it can be up to 150 GPD (6gph) which the sensor could read.

You might be an engineer if...You have no life and can prove it mathematically.