Thread: Reef Octopus VarioS Controller & Float Switch Connection to Apex 2016

Regular Vistor

Reef Octopus VarioS Controller & Float Switch Connection to Apex 2016

I have a Reef Octopus 250EXT external protein skimmer; with the VarioS controller. A float switch is include that can sit in the collection cup. I have two VarioS controllers. one for the feed pump and one for the recirculating pump. My goal is to send a notification and turn off both pumps when the float switch is triggered. Both controllers are connected to and controlled by Apex. My question is how to connect the float switch so that Apex can detect the status. Can Apex detect the status when the float switch is connected to the VarioS controller? If not, is there a way to connect the float switch to Apex? Or is it easier to have one controller detect the status of the other and shut off when the other is off? Thank you for your assistance.

Connect them to a break out box so the apex can see their status. When it shows full (likely open) then set the apex to email you on that condition and shut off the feed and circ pump. I would suggest using a virtual outlet so it doesn't short cycle from foam.

Ex
    StopSkim (Virtual outlet)
    Set OFF
    If SkimSw OPEN Then ON
    Defer 000:30 Then ON
    Min Time 120:00 Then ON

Circ pump
    (Existing code)
    If Outlet StopSkim = ON Then OFF

You might be an engineer if...You have no life and can prove it mathematically.

Regular Vistor
    How do I connect the Reef Octopus float switch to the breakout box. Do I have to cut the cable and connect the wires directly?

You could do that. Or, you could leave the VarioS' float switch intact, and order a suitable equivalent with bare wires for connection to the BoB. The CoralVue/ReefOcto float is a bit longer than the usual float switches, but extended length ones are readily available. For example, Chicago Sensors has vertical float switches in multiple lengths, so you can pick one that is the best fit for your skimmer cup.

http://www.chicagosensor.com/Extende..._Switches.html
    Please do not send me PMs with technical questions or requesting assistance - use the forums for Apex help. PM me ONLY if the matter is of a private or personal nature. Thanks.

Regular Vistor
    Thank you.