Thread: WAV pump not working

New User

WAV pump not working

Hi

My wav pump has stopped working, all it says on fusion is 44% but no RPM. I tried changing the profile to constant but them is still no movement, i have tried updating, switching 1link ports but to no avail. The other pump works fine. Please help

Frequent Visitor
    Hello,

Is the power brick with green light?
    Have you cleaned the WAV with vinegar?

Switch impellers from both pumps and see if the problem follows the impeller.

If all the modules are ok and updated then please open a ticket with Neptune.

I had a similar problem and they issued an RMA!

All the best,
    Rui

New User
    power brick green
    soaked in vinegar
    have swapped impellers this did not work, during the swap i did notice that every time i put the a impeller in the faulty pump there is no vertical motion, where on the working pump the is vertical movement and the impeller springs back into place

New User
    Is your WAV system out of warranty? Over 1 year old? Many folks on this forum have had their pumps stop after warranty period - then, each new pump will cost $199. For me I have cleaned pumps every 5-6 months (vinegar bath) and they just quit one day in the last month. I broke my foot so I didn't notice they weren't working. When I took entire system apart (hours) and updated as suggested, Fusion said pumps were "Missing" - apparently this is another word for death of your $500 pumps.

New User
    Hopefully Neptune systems will accept that the wav pumps do not work for an acceptable period of time and offer a solution to its customer base who have supported it for such a long time. Even if they offer half price pumps for failure after the warranty, as you don't expect to see a £700 pump set up fail so spectacularly after such a short period of time. I would like to see someone from neptune address this point, it will at least show that they acknowledge their user base. And would do good to remember that the salt water/reef community is not an inexhaustible commodity.

New User
    Agree. I had one side that would pulse and stop over and over. I did contact support but they said to clean. I did and it started again shortly afterwards....like a week later. They said if I send it in and they clean it and it works that I would be charged for the deep cleaning. Mine has only been running for 4.5 months. So I've been living with the pulsing for now. As of last week when I got home I found the right one was stopped completely. I cleaned it, then put it back in and it still didn't work. I unplugged and plugged in all the cables. It finally started again and then 2 days later stopped. I decided last night to just buy different powerheads. I just don't have time to jump through all the hoops.

New User
    Honestly the Neptune Apex customer service is quick to reply.. unfortunately their pumps are poorly manufactured. I have had missing wav’s, I have had where you plug in a wav and it cuts out all other waves ..I’m dealing with 2 wav’s at the moment that stopped working suddenly .

control freak wantabe
    WAV - my worst purchase for an aquarium EVER! They have given me nothing but trouble. One was replaced under warranty. The second has now gone stupid. No way am I going to pay more good money for a replacement.

About two years ago I took my tank down. We were redoing the floors. At that time the oldest pump was working. I cleaned it carefully and stored it away. Two days ago I was ready to use it again. Set it up and it fired up right away. Fifteen minutes later it's not working. I messed around with settings, deleted the module, reinstalled and turned on the error codes. It still is not working. I get POSERR, STALL and OK messages. I think these errors are created by a random number generator!

Just to cover all bases, I soaked the pump in vinegar over night and installed a new prop. The impeller housing is clean and smooth. Same issues - a useless non working pump.

These pumps make me VERY unsure about purchasing any other Neptune products. Both my WAVs failed after just over one year of use!!!!!

New User
    I have also had one WAV out of 2 appear to fail. Did the vinegar soak (though not really crusty), clean and restart, delete all wave modules, re-install, update WAV firmware, and tried switched the wave power port. The impeller twitches but never kicks over. APEX says the pump is okay, at 44%, but no flow or RPMs. Other WAV is operating fine. Not sure if the pump just died or not. Neptune support call pending.....

I'm experiencing a WAV failure in these days, one of my two, after 2 1/2 years. But I think is a 1link problem, 24V port is death 2 months ago and the status LED is every time Off.
    I'm waiting for the final diagnoses, I have a scheduled support call this week.
    Fortunately I've installed 2 Mp40qd last week, and I reserved another two 3-months used Mp4oqd today in my LFS. I hope to identificate the problem and resolve it, but after I think to switch to 4xMp40 and sell the VAWs.

New User
    ive been dealing with issue for months wav starts and stops then repeats every 30 secs to a min. they want me to send pump back before sending me a new one but my lfs switched it out for me and striaght out of box pump did samething and neptune call suport says pump is trying to run in reverse been thinking about going back to ecotech this problem has been going on to long and neptune doesnt seem to care to much only worried about getting next thing out so they can get more money from us

Regular Vistor
    I just posted a thread about my 2 pumps stopping. I don't have cash to replace them with MP40Qds right now. This stinks.

New User
    Mine just stopped working I have cleaned it once a month since I purchased it in fusion it says 50% but no rpm I tried to reinstall it and now it don’t even detect it . I contacted Neptune waiting on support I hope they make it right or I will not be upgrading my return to a cor

New User
    My pumps are second hand and one works fine, but one does not work. At the price these things cost, I would expect many years of service from them!
    It shows "OK 44%". I can feel it start to run, but just jumps for a fraction of a second. I does not show a RPM at all. It does show a temp of 43 and is dropping over time. I tried using different setting in it, changed where it was pluged in to my new apex. It followes the pump. Changed the inpellers and the problem still stayed with the pump. What to try next

New User
    Did you get yourwave pump problem solved? I'm having the same problem.

Frequent Visitor

My WAV has Stopped as well. Thoughts?

My WAV has stopped working. There is something similar in several posts as I read this thread. Many of you with this problem report a usage percentage at 44%. Mine is doing that as well. That's what first tipped me off something wasn't right.

I've cleaned. But I do that regularly anyway. Don't feel 'power' coming to the pump. Impeller not twitching or moving. Unplugged cord. I've reset fusion. I've doubled checked settings, firmware, software on pump. All is current. It appears this thing has just died. Literally.

Thoughts on any other things I can check? Otherwise it appears I'm on my way to the LFS to pick up another pump.
    Current Tank Info: Red Sea Reefer XL 425: Born on August 29, 2017

control freak wantabe
    Quote Originally Posted by RussC View Post
    My WAV has stopped working.
    Contact Neptune. I had issues with both my WAVs. They replaced the first one just out of warranty. The other was several years out of warranty. All they asked for was my serial number and went right to replacement.

I'm guessing there were issues with the first batch(es) of units and they are doing a quiet recall.

Quote Originally Posted by woodnaquanut View Post
    Contact Neptune. I had issues with both my WAVs. They replaced the first one just out of warranty. The other was several years out of warranty. All they asked for was my serial number and went right to replacement.

I'm guessing there were issues with the first batch(es) of units and they are doing a quiet recall.
    Same here. Went through 3 of the early ones. The current 2 have been running for a couple of years without issue.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Frequent Visitor
    I have 5 of them, 2 are dead, one is now dying (only works by putting it fully on), clean with vinegar solution doesn't make difference. Just poorly made like most Neptune products, I have a large carton box full to prove it over 3000usd of broken stuff, no support on my side of the globe for returns. I basically buy everything double.

But tsss I still use the products because there are basically no alternatives (and yes I have a GHL also, very reliable but not as many options and the software is not as nice).

New User

Wiring digram

I wish I had a wiring diagram of the wires going to the pump. I am thinking we could (disable/jumper it) the one that detects if it's in water and see if they would run then?

Frequent Visitor
    Quote Originally Posted by charlieborg View Post
    I wish I had a wiring diagram of the wires going to the pump. I am thinking we could (disable/jumper it) the one that detects if it's in water and see if they would run then?
    I wondered about this also, would be a easy fix for two dead ones as they are looking 100% fine.

Regular Vistor
    These wav pumps are the worst pumps out. Both have failed. Sure I got them second hand, but they should last longer than two years.

New User
    Ive just had one WAV die on me last week. Shut down all other 1Link ports and caused the power brink to blink its green light. I havnt opened a support ticket just yet but im in 2 minds weather the WAV or power brick is the cause.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk