Thread: Sincere wish for a Neptune Camera

Regular Vistor

Sincere wish for a Neptune Camera

Greetings to all,

@Terence and to all of the fine folks at Neptune, speaking as a Director of IT for a very large corporation who has had the great joy of using Neptune's fine products for the past 4 years as well as supporting my Maintenance company (TriCounty Aquariums) for over 50 big & small Neptune controlled installations, THE most requested and most frustrating aspect of Neptune integration relates to cameras. As an IT guy, one can jump through the hoops and be successful, but most folks cannot. The fact that there are over 300 threads in the community should be an indicator.

The consumer/professional camera manufacturers we currently use are constantly changing their models/specs/interfaces in response to their targeted market space causing all of us grief.

Neptune's position here is fully understood. Looking at the wide breath of the high quality products available with Neptune, you have produced products that addresses almost every aspect of our passion.

One humbly suggests that it is now time for Neptune to address this matter and source / produce a Neptune Systems camera.

With respect to this new hypothetical camera integration. It makes sense to put a limit of no more than 4. If users require more the current methodology pathways would suffice.

One's "wish" list for this future product would be as follows.
    1. Plug & play integration with current gen or classic integration via a module CM1 with 4 Ethernet ports (this is the most difficult ask) Wifi integration would be a folly as everyone's wifi spectrum is a huge variable outside of Neptune's control. (Citing the poor AI Hydra HD wifi performance hassles)
    2. Camera should be 1080 with Auto/Adjustable White balance, color balance, etc. (No need for 4K here folks - its a reef tank in a home/office)
    3. Pan / Tilt / Zoom control from Fusion for each device.

Additional follow on products if the above is successful in the market would be an underwater device. (Citing maxspect)

Please kindly consider this request.

Respectfully Submitted,
    Drukyulgoods

While I agree that the current way to set up cameras isn't great, I have doubts that the apex (even the 2016 version) has the available bandwidth and processing power to run cameras using a module through aquabus. What I think could work is to do some sort of website oriented integration with a major camera manufacturer like dlink. All it would really take to provide seamless integration would be a token type of feature that could link fusion with the camera manufacturers user interface rather than the current ddns with port forwarding.

You might be an engineer if...You have no life and can prove it mathematically.

Frequent Visitor
    I agree with you. I would love to see a camera product too. One that goes inside the tank like the ReefCam would be awesome. However, I had read in the forums a while ago one of the reasons they don't have a camera product is bandwidth within the Fusion infrastructure. I forget where the post was but basically it says they are able to offer Fusion for free because it doesn't cost them a lot as far as bandwidth is concerned. If camera streams were sent through it, their bandwidth requirements would skyrocket. I know you're thinking why would it matter? Well, to make it plug in play for everyone, they would have to proxy the video to ensure that it just works so people don't have to mess with their firewalls and deal with blocked ports at the ISP level, etc. I'm also a Director of IT for a large company so I get where you're coming from, but I also see it from their perspective as well.