Thread: Power Usage Alarms

New User

Power Usage Alarms

I'm trying to setup an alarm to go off, should the power usage spike above a set number. I've searched and been unable to locate any examples. I have found code for outlets. but not the specific usage for the equipment. The scenario (which happened while i was on vacation, naturally) was my Return pump impeller shaft got gummed up with kalk buildup or some other weird substance, causing it to draw more power, but not pump water. (i do not have flow sensors...yet) this caused repeated spikes in the Amperage and Wattage used by the pump. this was going on for several hours before it was found when my brother checked on the tank.

had he not checked on it, it would have caused a loss of the entire tank.

I expected there to be some code, such as "If ReturnPump Watts > 50 THEN ON" (obviously not verified correct code, but should illustrate my point) within the alarms. but i cannot find any code eluding to such a capability.

any ideas on how to achieve this without buying new hardware and modules would be great.

thanks
    Chris

You were actually close the syntax would be

If Output ReturnPump Watts > 50 Then ON

You might be an engineer if...You have no life and can prove it mathematically.

With that said though, I suggest that you use amps for this scenario rather than watts. When a motor is in a locked rotor condition as yours was there is little effect on the real component of power increase (watts) but a large component of reactive power increase. This means that amps will increase to 3-6 times normal values during this condition, but watts are likely only to increase 30% or so.

Determine the running amps, and use at least 1.5 times that for your alarm to avoid getting emails in error. Also make sure you have a defer of at least 10 seconds in your email alarm since the starting current of a motor is similar to that of a locked rotor, but decays to normal load in 4-10 seconds depending on the electrical and mechanical characteristics of the motor.

You might be an engineer if...You have no life and can prove it mathematically.

New User
    Awesome, thank you all... that is exactly what i needed... one little word was what i was missing, i am going to be using amps.

thanks all. I will in future be looking at the flow monitor also, just for future tank goals.

Chris