Thread: possible to control with APEX vie Direct Wifi or I2C?

New User

possible to control with APEX vie Direct Wifi or I2C?

Hi,
    I am new to Apex but honestly thinking of buying one for my coming 900litre tank. (I am from Germany so more like a litre tank and not a gallon one).
    However I am Building my own LED light which will be controlled via I2C.

I am now wondering whether I could use an APEX and especially then APEX Fusion to Control the light?
    Seeing two Options:

1) have a direct cable Connection from APEX to my I2C Input on the LED PCB board. However, this is not the preferred solution since APEX would be installed in my Basement while the tank is one Floor above it. So I would have to use a Long cable which is not preferrable for I2C

2) My LED light will have an onboard ESP8266 Controller soldered on. So maybe there is an Option to connect APEX with ESP8266 via WIFI?

Would be great to get some help/ideas from you

Thx a lot
    Thorsten

Neither option is available. The supported output for control of dimmable LEDs (and 0-10v controlled pumps) is via the 4 variable 0-10v analog outputs built into the Apex. There are also expansion modules called the Variable Dimming Module (VDM) with 4 more 0-10v outputs if additional control channels are needed.
    Please do not send me PMs with technical questions or requesting assistance - use the forums for Apex help. PM me ONLY if the matter is of a private or personal nature. Thanks.

New User
    ​That is too bad

Is it like they just dont offer an Interface? As far as I thought I2C is Standard on most uC CPUs - what CPU do Apex use?

any other thoughts / ideas how to Combine my LED Project with APEX?
    (Using other than I2C is no Option - I want to Control every single LED Driver via PWM - per board it will be 8 and for my personal tank it will be 5 boards so I Need 40 PWM channels)

New User
    What about the WXM Wifi module? If I can connect to Vertex, shouldne it be possible to connect to any other Wifi device?
    Or is there no Access to the Software Code?

Quote Originally Posted by currymuetze View Post
    What about the WXM Wifi module? If I can connect to Vertex, shouldne it be possible to connect to any other Wifi device?
    Or is there no Access to the Software Code?
    Not possible unless you know how to reverse engineer Ecotechs wireless protocol and make your light simulate a Radion....so no.

What is likely to come down the pipeline in the somewhat near future is internet of things compatibility, which would allow apex to control internet of things compliant devices that are on the same network as the apex. No idea when this will be available, bit I know it is one of Terrances priorities to accomplish.

You might be an engineer if...You have no life and can prove it mathematically.

Also - the WXM's wireless is not Wi-Fi.
    Please do not send me PMs with technical questions or requesting assistance - use the forums for Apex help. PM me ONLY if the matter is of a private or personal nature. Thanks.