Thread: New to the hobby

New to the hobby

Hi guys I am new to this hobby I am saving up the money to get what I think is a good place to start starter kit 2016 version and the WAV kit what would you recommend it the next step for controlling.
    Graham

Sent from my SM-G925F using Tapatalk

Need more info on your system. What equipment and brand will you have in the tank?

You might be an engineer if...You have no life and can prove it mathematically.

Hope to go for red sea 350 or 450 no other spec yet need abvice

Quote Originally Posted by graham.fish View Post
    Hope to go for red sea 350 or 450 no other spec yet need abvice

You will definitely need an ATO. Neptune recently released one called the ATK that is your best option on the market today IMO. If you decide to get this, there are 2 expansion inputs that you could use for flow meters or extra optical sensors.

You also may need an additional parts or modules depending on which lights you want on your tank. If you choose halides, T5s, or standard LEDs you can use the outlets built into the unit. If you get Radions you need a WXM. If you get an AI light, you need an AWM. If you get dimmable LEDs with 0-10V input you just need a cable for the particular light style.

Frequent Visitor
    The Red Sea Reefer 450 XL Deluxe incorporates the Hydra 26 HD LED lighting units with Red Sea’s custom mounting system. Its a neat package.

Knowing what I know now I would have prefered the XXL models with their more advanced and useful sumps. Or skipped Red Sea altogether and go with an integrated automatic roller filter. Cleaning filter socks every day or two gets old fast.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Charles0dxb View Post
    The Red Sea Reefer 450 XL Deluxe incorporates the Hydra 26 HD LED lighting units with Red Sea’s custom mounting system. Its a neat package.

Knowing what I know now I would have prefered the XXL models with their more advanced and useful sumps. Or skipped Red Sea altogether and go with an integrated automatic roller filter. Cleaning filter socks every day or two gets old fast.

What tank would you go for if not Red Sea with sump?

Frequent Visitor
    Not to hijack, but I personally love to custom build. To me, the planning and building it is half the fun of the hobby. You also don't have to wait until you have saved $X thousand to jump in. Buy the tank first (cheapest part btw ironically) and then go from there. It's not for everyone but very rewarding for those who take it on.

You could always search through Craigslist and local aquarium clubs for something nice in your price and size range. You could probably get a 200-300 gallon tank with a nice stand/canopy and some other equipment included for the price you would spend on a new red sea max.

Frequent Visitor
    Quote Originally Posted by zombie View Post
    You could always search through Craigslist and local aquarium clubs for something nice in your price and size range. You could probably get a 200-300 gallon tank with a nice stand/canopy and some other equipment included for the price you would spend on a new red sea max.

+1, between my two local reef clubs, there are used tanks and complete systems for sale all the time. At a great steal too!

The Red Sea is beautiful it all matches. U can get it in white if u want. The build quality is amazing.
    I love mine

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Frequent Visitor
    If I had to start another reef tank the Theiling tank with the built in roller filter mat is what I would do. See http://theilinggmbh.de/index.php?r=category/show&id=36 . I am so done rinsing Red Sea filter socks every morning.