Thread: Bulk Reef Supply 1.1ml Dosing Pump

Bulk Reef Supply 1.1ml Dosing Pump

I want to dose 4ml of Mag a day. Just checking to see if this code is correct.

Thanks

Fallback OFF
    OSC 000:00/003:38/056:22 Then ON
    If Time 01:00 to 23:59 Then OFF

You can spread the dose too. This program generator will make it brainless to figure out.

https://www.reeftronics.net/adpg/dosingcalc.php

You might be an engineer if...You have no life and can prove it mathematically.

Quote Originally Posted by zombie View Post
    You can spread the dose too. This program generator will make it brainless to figure out.

https://www.reeftronics.net/adpg/dosingcalc.php

That is what I'm using. Not sure if I'm using it correctly.

That is the correct way to use it if you want a single dose at midnight. You could also set it up for multiple doses over a timespan and/or offset it so it doesn't conflict with other elements. Back when I had my big tank, I set mine so that the doses would occur hourly over 24 hours and had mag at the top of the hour, alk 15 past, and cal 30 past.

The one time dose is fine for me. The problem I'm having now is the outlet will not turn off, even if the outlet is set to off.

Are you using outlet 4 or 8? If not you need to

Are you using outlet 4 or 8? If not you need to

No. I am using 3 and I also tried 7. Reason?

4 and 8 are electromechanical. The triacs outlets in the other 6 positions can get stuck in the on position when you have a pump or motor load that is low wattage. Use 4 or 8 for things like aqualifters and dosing pumps.

4 and 8 are electromechanical. The triacs outlets in the other 6 positions can get stuck in the on position when you have a pump or motor load that is low wattage. Use 4 or 8 for things like aqualifters and dosing pumps.

Thanks. I'll give it shot.

I'll need some advice. I used these settings from this calculator https://www.reeftronics.net/adpg/dosingcalc.php to dose 4ml once a day. I did a test with a measuring cup and I'm dosing about 7ml instead. How can I go about fixing this?

By the way happy 4th of July

edit

I just did a times test and had the dosing pump run for 3mn (actually i think it ran for 4mn while timing) and it dosed 7.5ml, so about 1.87ml per minute.

When using the Dosing Program Generator tool, if you hover over the field caption for the Flow Rate field (using a desktop browser - the hover doesn't work on mobile devices), you'll see some help text pop up:

Go ahead and do the 10-minute test as described in this image (as it will likely give you a more accurate value than the test you already did), then use that actual measured flow rate value in the Dosing Program Generator tool.
    Please do not send me PMs with technical questions or requesting assistance - use the forums for Apex help. PM me ONLY if the matter is of a private or personal nature. Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by RussM View Post
    When using the Dosing Program Generator tool, if you hover over the field caption for the Flow Rate field (using a desktop browser - the hover doesn't work on mobile devices), you'll see some help text pop up:

Go ahead and do the 10-minute test as described in this image (as it will likely give you a more accurate value than the test you already did), then use that actual measured flow rate value in the Dosing Program Generator tool.
    Thanks, will do.

Frequent Visitor
    I have several BRS dosing pumps, both the 50 ml and the 1.1 ml...the performance varies greatly. It would be disappointing but they make great utility pumps for the price and I find they do not drift over time.

OK. My short time test when initially setup was around 1.87ml a minute. The 10 time was around 2.1ml a minute

Do a 60 minute test just for the heck of it.

I've heard of the 1.1ml pumps having some variance, but almost twice the rated volume is surprising. Are you measuring using a vessel that has sufficient precision?

Rather than a 60-minute test, I would suggest doing a few more 10-minute tests and compare the results to see if there is consistency.
    Please do not send me PMs with technical questions or requesting assistance - use the forums for Apex help. PM me ONLY if the matter is of a private or personal nature. Thanks.

Frequent Visitor
    Quote Originally Posted by RussM View Post
    I've heard of the 1.1ml pumps having some variance, but almost twice the rated volume is surprising. Are you measuring using a vessel that has sufficient precision?

Rather than a 60-minute test, I would suggest doing a few more 10-minute tests and compare the results to see if there is consistency.
    Each one was done using a 10 minute test. I think a 60-minute test would be more accurate than individual 10-minute tests, less human error. Just divide the total by 60. Thought about it myself, but I just don't think I need any more precision than I have. We don't have our total net system volume that accurate.

I have my calibrations documented below.

1.1 ml/min dosers

Calcium: 1.95
    Alkalinity: 1.05
    Iodine: 1.10
    Vitamins: 1.91

50 ml/min dosers
    RO/DI: 55.65
    Kalkwasser: 57.80
    Salt Water: 61.55
    Waste Water: 52.18

60 was a typo. Got sidetracked with some crazy stuff at work and it hit send in my pocket. What I was about to write was this.

Repeat the test a few times with a time that will fill your graduated cylinder about 3/4 full for best accuracy. Longer tests introduce less human error and make sure the line is primed and has no bubbles before the test.

And temporarily program them with a feed timer of the desired duration. As long as the lines are primed and bubble free there is no human error outside of the accuracy of your graduated cylinder.

New User
    I have two brs 1.1 both dosing at 1.8. I tested ten different ways and all the math was the same test tour pumps. Brs did say I could return them but I'm fine with the increase flow

New User
    I used water to test my dosing pumps. Was thinking different fluids have different flow rates?

Quote Originally Posted by mikiloff View Post
    I used water to test my dosing pumps. Was thinking different fluids have different flow rates?
    Not for a peristilic pump. Flow is the same regardless of fluid because the design pushed consistent volumes. For submersible pumps the flow rate can vary though depending on fluid since different fluids have different friction resulting in more or less head.