Thread: ORP Calibration

Regular Vistor

ORP Calibration

Does the ORP need to be calibrated? The reason I ask is I saw BRS has a ORB calibration solution.

ORP probe generally need no calibration. You are looking more at trends than absolute values.

Is it the Pinpoint 400mV ORP buffer you saw on BRS' site? That cannot be used to calibrate a Neptune ORP probe.
    Please do not send me PMs with technical questions or requesting assistance - use the forums for Apex help. PM me ONLY if the matter is of a private or personal nature. Thanks.

Regular Vistor
    It is Pinpoint.

That won't work to calibrate it. You need quinhydrone and pH 4.0 and pH 7.0 to calibrate the orp probe on the apex. Unless you are using an ozone reactor you don't need to bother with calibration, but if you want to get a rough ballpark on what the value on the apex is compared to actual ORP you can use the pinpoint packets as a quick sanity check.

You might be an engineer if...You have no life and can prove it mathematically.

Frequent Visitor
    This is the kit I used to calibrate mine:
    https://www.sensorex.com/product/b12...libration-kit/

As stated above, I don't technically "need" to calibrate it, but I would rather look a numbers that reference a standard instead of just relative to factory tolerance. I perform the calibration twice a year and I do it at the same time I calibrate my pH (pH done bi-monthly). I do not use either to control anything.

Assuming one tried to calibrate their ORP probe way back when using the 400 solution. Is there any way to reset it back to factory calibration or Sol without buying the quin solution?

Not sure if it's legit. But I read a thread on R2R where someone suggested using 1part bleach to 5part RO

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

That bleach/water thing has been around for years. Randy Holmes-Farley advised against using bleach/water. http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/sh...82&postcount=6

You can reset the ORP port to default calibration values by simply running through the calibration process quickly - don't let the values settle. You can just leave the probe in the tank while doing this. The Apex will sense the invalid results and restore the defaults.
    Please do not send me PMs with technical questions or requesting assistance - use the forums for Apex help. PM me ONLY if the matter is of a private or personal nature. Thanks.

Perfect. Thanks Russ !

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

So I'm assuming there is supposed to be a second bulb around the metal probe. Did my ORP bulb somehow discentegrate or is that probe supposed to extrude ..

Frequent Contributor iamchadster's Avatar

I would say it doesn't look good. This was the best enormous image I could find showing that end clearly.
    Chad

Thanks for that! Looks like I'm missing the bulb. I wonder what the heck happened

Frequent Visitor
    Quote Originally Posted by shiftline View Post
    Thanks for that! Looks like I'm missing the bulb. I wonder what the heck happened

I saw your post with the morning hassle with the kids, I forgot to look at mine again....but that does not look correct. I'm like 99% certain mine does not have the probe actually exposed. I believe that outer bulb is needed to isolate the tank water from the reference solution. I don't honestly know how these things are built/work but I remember reading up on the differences between a single junction and double junction.

It got damaged somehow. Has it been in service for a while, or is it new? Either way, you should get a new one.

It's a couple years old (original one). Still strange to see it deteriorates. The bulb below it looks fine... yep sadly looks like I need a new one!

It's a couple years old (original one). Still strange to see it deteriorates. The bulb below it looks fine... yep sadly looks like I need a new one!

They shouldn't deteriorate. The bulb is made of glass which is not corroded by saltwater. More than likely something hit the glass at some point and broke the bulb.

You might be an engineer if...You have no life and can prove it mathematically.

So I just spent a small fortune on a lab grade double Junction probe and I'm still getting basically the same reading

Not be mean but I'm happy to see someone else with a lower than 300 reading besides me. Every post I've seen except for this either talks about or shows their ORP at higher than ( much higher) 300
    i became frustrated and bought a double junction one.
    tiday it was at 374 atfter I fed the anemones and starfish and dropped some small pieces of shrimp in it dropped to 280
    so now I know what it means by the orp will drop if something dies