Thread: Apex Outlets Renamed - No Fusion Access

Mantis Shrimp

Exclamation Apex Outlets Renamed - No Fusion Access

Hello There!
    We were just headed out the door for a fun-fill 4th of July break and before I left I noticed one of my fuge outlets was not operating. I decided to power cycle my Apex unit and upon turning back on my EB8 showed a status of green but no power was being distributed through the outlets. As if that wasn't bad enough I tried to jump on fusion and found out my modem went out. After plugging a computer into my APEX and reestablishing an internet connection was I was able to access the classic dashboard and update all of my modules and FW to 4.52_5A17. Now with all current SW on my 3 EB8s (all were OK before the update) and other modules I began to look around a little more and noticed that all of my outlets on one EB8 (EB8_3) were either renamed or given random names (e.g., "�- (1-240) or appeared to be a child under the parent outlet.
    Apex Outlets.png

Some of the outlets went from say Light1 to Chiller or Heater and so one, completely random. All the other EB8 outlets appear to be correct. Further more I am unable to connect to Fusion to verify my DOS pumps configuration and WAV settings. So, now that my outlets for the EB8_3 have been reprogrammed, what do I do with these random outlets? Also, I can't find my alarm or email outlets.

As far as Fusion goes, I have disconnected my Apex and tried to add it again via token but now all I see is a communication error (below). Any help would be appreciated. Thanks, Devon

ApexFusion Communication Error.png Apex Module List.png
    My Reef Blog - reeftank.devonmorton.com
    Moderately Happy Apex User

Mantis Shrimp
    This morning I noticed the ApexFusion communication error had gone so I hit link and typed the token in Fusion

Apex Fusion Link.png

After a few moments I saw that ApexFusion OK status:

Apex Fusion OK.png

Now I see a communication error again, which goes back and forth to OK:

Apex Fusion Communication Error.png

As for Fusion I just see this, even after hitting the check button:

Apex Waiting for Status.png

Maybe I shouldn't have removed my Apex from Fusion in the first place... I can access my Apex using a dynamic DNS service (dyn.com) I set up a few years back so I know it's available online. I think maybe the quality of connection from my new (probably refurbished) "supposed to be better" modem for Spectrum isn't helping the issue as the Up Stream light isn't making a solid green connection (even though I have internet).

Does anyone know how I can recreate/find my alarm and email settings from the classic dashboard since I can access Fusion?

First, let me say thank you for providing a clear and detailed post about your issue.

The first screen shot you posted clearly indicates that the configuration of the Apex somehow became corrupted. The 'fuge outlet you noticed wasn't working right is an indication that this had happened sometime before you did the firmware update and noticed the bogus output names.

Do you have a recent backup file created using the Load/Save features?

Do the probes all appear to be working properly?
    Please do not send me PMs with technical questions or requesting assistance - use the forums for Apex help. PM me ONLY if the matter is of a private or personal nature. Thanks.

Mantis Shrimp
    Hello Russ,

Unfortunately, I do not have any recent backups. All of the probes do appear to be working properly. The EB8_5 is my fuge power source and the one that I noticed wasn't pulsating my fuge pump. EB8_5 started working properly after the reboot but that's when EB8_3 stopped delivering power to my main return pump, heater, chiller, ATO and skimmer. Usually after a reboot all is fine but not this time. That's when I had difficulty accessing the dashboard until plugging a computer into the Apex via Ethernet cable and hitting it's IP address. It was at that point I noticed the EB8_3 outlets were renamed and reset.

Without a current backup, and because you removed the Apex from Fusion & therefore cannot pull up the configuration summary to reference for your programming, you'll have to reprogram it from scratch. But first you need to clear up the outlet issues. One possible approach is to initialize the entire Apex, resetting it back to factory defaults. But I don't think that's needed in your case. Here is an alternate process which will not cause you to lose all input (switch and probe) names and base unit probe calibrations:

1. Go through each output (outlet) that still has a normal name and copy/paste that programming to a text document. Make screenshots of anything else you want. You will use this info later to make it easier to reprogram outlets.
    2. Disconnect all modules except for the display, the first EB8 (the one at Aquabus address #3), and the PM2.
    3. Using the Configuration->Module setup page, select then delete each and every module listed EXCEPT for the remaining EB8, display, and PM2... in other words, the modules you disconnected in the previous step.
    4. Using the Configuration->Misc setup page, choose Initialize Outlets under the Initialize Memory menu. Then click the Update Misc Settings button. (Do NOT use the Initialize Aquabus Modules option)
    5. Wait several minutes.
    6. Now, go to the Outlet Setup page, and verify that you have only the 7 base outputs (4 varspd & the 3 alarms) and the 8 EB8 outlets listed with their default names. Go back to the main Dashboard.
    7. Next connect the EB8 which was at Aquabus address 4 to the Apex system (and ONLY that EB8). Wait 30 seconds or so, then go to the Outlet Setup page and verify that all 8 outlets appear for that added EB8.
    8. Repeat the above step for the 3rd EB8.
    9. Now, connect all remaining modules in the order they are listed in the screenshot of the Module page you posted here, connecting ONLY ONE MODULE AT A TIME. Wait at least 30 seconds before connecting the next module in sequence.
    10. Using the info you collected earlier, reprogram all outputs.
    Please do not send me PMs with technical questions or requesting assistance - use the forums for Apex help. PM me ONLY if the matter is of a private or personal nature. Thanks.

Mantis Shrimp
    Thanks for your reply and instructions. This will take a little time so I'll give it some serious thought when I have some time. Thanks again!

Mantis Shrimp
    Hi Russ,

Now that things have finally settled down I was going to go through your steps but I've now run into a new issue. Over that past month I have being locally logging into my controller via my phone and using the old dashboard to turn various outlets on and off (normally I turn one of my Wav pumps off to feed my eel at the top of the tank). Last night I logged in to my controller to turn off a pump and now see that the dashboard is blank (below). I rebooted the controller from the display but it made no difference. Any ideas on how to proceed? Thanks for your help.

Blank Dashboard 8-7-17.png

Mantis Shrimp
    Hi Russ,

Do you have any experience with this blank screen issue? I'm only able to manually control outlets via the head unit. I'm fearful the whole system is going to die. Any help would be greatly appreciated! Thanks.

Mantis Shrimp
    Today I came home to 3 EB8's flashing green, no water movement from my WAV pumps and a frozen display unit. I tried logging into my Apex via a browser and I couldn't even connect to the point of entering a username/password. I unplugged the display and control box (that the probes attach to) and plugged them back in but nothing happened. I think I am up a creek with no paddle. I feel like I am waiting for some strange email demanding bitcoins for access. Any help from anyone would be greatly appreciated.

This is what I would suggest.

Unplug everything from the head unit and let it go without power completely for a couple minutes. Then plug a single EB8 into the display. If it fails to boot completely try a different one. Update your firmware at this point to rule out a bug/corruption. Once you have access to the apex, plug in modules one at a time to see if there is one causing an issue (it's possible but rare that a power supply failed in one of the EBs and led to a surge that turned your display black). Once you find the offending module, keep that one unplugged and contact support.

You might be an engineer if...You have no life and can prove it mathematically.

Mantis Shrimp
    Thanks for your suggestion. I tried unplugging everything from the EB8 and head unit, letting it sit without power, then plugging it back in. The head unit goes solid green but now the EB8 went from slowly flashing green to quickly flashing yellow. I also tried powering up the head unit from another EB8 but still no luck. I didn't have a laptop with an Ethernet connection so I bought one last night to connect directly to the head unit. After more than 3 hours of downloads and updates and restarts for Windows 10 I gave up. Hopefully today the laptop should be in a state that I can use it when I get home from work.

Send an email to support to get a ticket started in the meantime. Try the firmware update tonight if you can.

You might be an engineer if...You have no life and can prove it mathematically.

Mantis Shrimp
    Ticket submitted. Hopefully I can gain access this evening. Thanks for your help.

Mantis Shrimp
    Well I tried disconnecting everything from the Apex, letting it rest and then powered it up from multiple EB8s using different USB cables and Aquabus ports. The light always stays solid green on the main Apex brain but the status of the modules and EB8s stay the same (blinking green or yellow). I was finally able to try and access the Apex directly via Ethernet cable but the IP address of the Apex is unresponsive. I also tried pinging the IP address of the Apex and no response. I plugged it back into my network and checked my router's DHCP clients and it didn't appear that the IP address I gave my Apex, or any other one that resembled it was trying to connect. I have relayed this information on to the Neptune Support Team but at this point it's looking like it's bricked.

Mantis Shrimp
    Alright, $75 later and the Neptune Support Team has fixed my controller! I spent 4 hours last night reprogramming my 3 - EB8s and for the most part things are back to normal. I still need to calibrate the salinity probe, DOS water change amounts and my BRS dosing pumps for CAL, ALK and MAG. So... the problem is that I don't have a recent backup that has all of my existing outlets configured but I'd really like to see what my dose settings for CAL, ALK, and MAG were. Is there anyway to load a backup bin file to a virtual location, or program, to be able to see what outlet settings were saved? This would save me a lot of time. I roughly the amounts of dosing ml just don't remember the advanced code that was based off of a reef central post. Thoughts? Thank you for your input.