Thread: What are the benefits of connecting Radions to Apex via the WXM?

Frequent Visitor

What are the benefits of connecting Radions to Apex via the WXM?

I am considering making the change from my current MH light to the Radion G4. Since the Radion has its own programming software, what would I gain by using the WXM?

Thanks,

Keith

Regular Vistor
    It will allow you to control your lights via your apex, same as with ecotech wavemakers. Not sure you'll gain anything. If you already have the wxm, then you won't need to buy the ecotech reeflink.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Frequent Visitor
    Quote Originally Posted by Black06ss View Post
    It will allow you to control your lights via your apex, same as with ecotech wavemakers. Not sure you'll gain anything. If you already have the wxm, then you won't need to buy the ecotech reeflink.

Thanks for the reply. I don't currently have the WXM and from what I read, I don't have to have the ReefLink either... just connect the Radion via USB and program it.

I guess I'm not seeing the purpose of the $124 WXM except as a WiFi adaptor for the Radion (and that is what the ReefLink is, only it is $25 less). If it matters, I do not have any other Ecotech gear.

Regular Vistor
    It is the same as the reeflink, just allows your ecotech products to communicate with apex and you can program them through apex fusion.

Frequent Visitor
    Strictly convenience. I have my hydras connected through their respective module for the same benefits. I do not have to manage two separate controllers; everything is manageable through the Apex. I have a very complex schedule of shifting colors and intensities throughout the day based on the Apex seasons table for both sun and moon lighting. This was not an option on the AI controller - but also is not necessary, just a fun toy to have.

You can additionally, ramp your lights down based on temperature. This is not as critical as it used to be back the MH days, but my LEDs can make the tank temp jump up 3 degrees. This is fine on most days, but let's say my home AC goes out (and it does), my controller does not know the AC went out, but it does know the tank temp hit 83, which is unusual. I can cut off the white lights, keep on the blues and trigger an email alarm. You can certainly do without buts thats a great feature to have.

I also have my lights schedule to dim when my Vortechs go into Nutrient Transport mode. This is scheduled currently for Thursdays mid-day. But if I wanted to change this schedule or manually trigger it while cleaning the tank, I don't have to also schedule the lighting through a separate controller...it all operates off a custom virtual switch. Again, not a necessity, but a very nice to have.

You gain the ability to relate to relate your lights to other events. For example, maybe you want the lights to automatically dim when you open a cabinet or when you initiate a water change feed cycle. Or you want something to turn on or off based on whether your lights are on rather than time based. Or you want to take advantage of season tables for lighting. Etc. Etc.

You might be an engineer if...You have no life and can prove it mathematically.

Frequent Visitor
    Thanks guys. I've only had the tank since May and the Apex shorter than that. Needless to say I'm not using a tenth of its capabilities. Mostly usinging it to monitor, graph, and control heaters and my one MH light.

Currently I have the Apex setup to turn my light off when the temp hits 80 (which it does some days). It would be nice to scale the lights back as the temp raises though instead of just an on/state.

Where can I find out more about this sun/moon/season cycle within Apex? Is that a function of the WXM? Sounds really cool.

Sent from my LG-H871 using Tapatalk

Frequent Visitor
    Quote Originally Posted by Etoimos View Post
    Thanks guys. I've only had the tank since May and the Apex shorter than that. Needless to say I'm not using a tenth of its capabilities. Mostly usinging it to monitor, graph, and control heaters and my one MH light.

Currently I have the Apex setup to turn my light off when the temp hits 80 (which it does some days). It would be nice to scale the lights back as the temp raises though instead of just an on/state.

Where can I find out more about this sun/moon/season cycle within Apex? Is that a function of the WXM? Sounds really cool.

Sent from my LG-H871 using Tapatalk
    It has tremendous capability...but my advise is take it slow. If you fully stock the unit, you will be so overwhelmed in getting everything to work, you will never realize the full potential. Take it slow and enjoy it. You will learn new things all the time. This forum is the best resource. Just watch the "Today's Posts" and watch all the different questions and features that come along. Next thing you know, you will be correcting my posts like Russ and Zombie