Thread: 1" Flow sensor cleaning

1" Flow sensor cleaning

Whats the recommended cleaning method for the 1" sensor. The paddle spins but it doesn't spin as free as it did when i first got it.

Regular Vistor
    i'd like to know the recommended cleaning schedule for these as well... and how you clean them

You open them up and soak in vinegar, scrub any deposits with a toothbrush, rinse in water, then put back together. Basically the same cleaning process as any other aquarium product with moving parts.

Most people clean when flow looks wacky or 2-4 times per year.

You might be an engineer if...You have no life and can prove it mathematically.

Frequent Contributor iamchadster's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by zombie View Post
    You open them up and soak in vinegar, scrub any deposits with a toothbrush, rinse in water, then put back together. Basically the same cleaning process as any other aquarium product with moving parts.

Most people clean when flow looks wacky or 2-4 times per year.

I was under the impression that you can't get them wet. What part/s are you soaking? Are you suggesting to soak the entire sensor?
    Chad

Quote Originally Posted by iamchadster View Post
    I was under the impression that you can't get them wet. What part/s are you soaking? Are you suggesting to soak the entire sensor?
    All the plastic parts after taking apart can get fully wet even when on. As long as you unplug it first, you could even soak the entire sensor as long as you dry it out before reconnecting, though there is no point soaking any more than the paddle and casing. A soak is only necessary if there are calcium deposits anyway, so that whole step could be avoided most times.

Frequent Visitor
    Quote Originally Posted by zombie View Post
    All the plastic parts after taking apart can get fully wet even when on. As long as you unplug it first, you could even soak the entire sensor as long as you dry it out before reconnecting, though there is no point soaking any more than the paddle and casing. A soak is only necessary if there are calcium deposits anyway, so that whole step could be avoided most times.

Thank you fir that info! All my 1/2” flowmeters are reading zero and I will soak them in vinegar this weekend to descale.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Frequent Visitor
    I have had three 1" sensors stop reading flow (flow = 0). In all cases it was mechanical obstructions rather than calcium buildup. My suspicion is that vinegar soak will be mostly unnecessary in favor of a quick mechanical cleaning.

Frequent Visitor
    Soak in diluted vinegar for a short period of time right? Straight vinegar for too long can corrode plastic right?

Quote Originally Posted by TerraReef View Post
    Soak in diluted vinegar for a short period of time right? Straight vinegar for too long can corrode plastic right?
    I use 50/50 diluted personally though I have never seen any plastic corrosion on probes even at 100%.

Frequent Visitor
    Thanks for sharing. Good to hear your experience.

I am sure this depends on the materials used by manufacturer. I have had cheap made in China power heads(FROM ANOTHER BRAND, not Neptune's) change color(black to a light grey) and change rigidity after sitting in a 50/50 mix for more than 24hours.(not sure how long it was) This experience made me start using a very diluted solution for very short periods of time. Perhaps this is being a bit paranoid now that I am using higher quality equipment.