Thread: Cannot get Apex salinity probe to calibrate

New User

Cannot get Apex salinity probe to calibrate

I need some help, I am new so if I ask anything that has already been asked sorry. I did search did not find anything. I cannot get Apex Salinity probe to calibrate it is new and the other probes calibrated fine. Any help will be appreciated.

Thanks
    Bill

Let it soak in your tank for a week to rehydrate it as it is shipped dry.

After that has happened, enable temp compensation at a value of 2.2 to start. For the first calibration, get your tank temp as close as possible to 77F and float the calibration packet for at least 15 minutes. Before doing the dry part of the calibration lightly rinse the probe in RODI and pat dry. For the 53mS step, use a clip or magnet to keep the packet touching the water and and calibrate the probe there giving it about 5 minutes to settle. Once calibrated, keep an eye on the relationship between conductivity and temperature. If cond rises as temp rises, you need to bump the compensation value up by 0.1 and vise versa if there is an inverse relationship. If cond stays within a band of 0.2 to 0.3 max to min your compensation is dialed in.

Once this has all been done, tank temp no longer matters for calibration as long as the packet is the same temp as the tank. Calibrate quarterly or whenever the readings appear to be drifting.

You might be an engineer if...You have no life and can prove it mathematically.

New User
    Quote Originally Posted by zombie View Post
    Let it soak in your tank for a week to rehydrate it as it is shipped dry.

After that has happened, enable temp compensation at a value of 2.2 to start. For the first calibration, get your tank temp as close as possible to 77F and float the calibration packet for at least 15 minutes. Before doing the dry part of the calibration lightly rinse the probe in RODI and pat dry. For the 53mS step, use a clip or magnet to keep the packet touching the water and and calibrate the probe there giving it about 5 minutes to settle. Once calibrated, keep an eye on the relationship between conductivity and temperature. If cond rises as temp rises, you need to bump the compensation value up by 0.1 and vise versa if there is an inverse relationship. If cond stays within a band of 0.2 to 0.3 max to min your compensation is dialed in.

Once this has all been done, tank temp no longer matters for calibration as long as the packet is the same temp as the tank. Calibrate quarterly or whenever the readings appear to be drifting.

Thank you

New User
    will 4-5 days soaking be enough? Or is a full week needed?

4-5 should be plenty

New User
    Thank you zombie - tried to send you private message, but I need to be on this forum a few more days first - lmao.

Quote Originally Posted by zombie View Post
    4-5 should be plenty

Frequent Visitor
    Rehydrate first I have heard that. The probe is an electrical voltage monitor I did not think there was nothing to "Hydrate" can you educate me on what hydrates over 4-5 days?

Quote Originally Posted by Jonty View Post
    Rehydrate first I have heard that. The probe is an electrical voltage monitor I did not think there was nothing to "Hydrate" can you educate me on what hydrates over 4-5 days?
    It's the same basic principle as with pH probes. There are different electrical properties on the glass bulbs when there is a thin layer of hydrated glass (were talking verrrrry thin here) than without. If you calibrate without hydrating first the immediate reading will be correct. However as the thin layer develops, the electrical properties change and therefore so does the reading requiring another calibration. By hydrating first you save the calibrating steps while the electrical properties are changing.