Thread: Tunze ATO Programming Time based with redudancy float switch

New User

Question Tunze ATO Programming Time based with redudancy float switch

Hi,

I have a Tunze ATO which somehow is a little bit inconsistent, as on a few occasions I came back to my tank with 10cm extra water in the sump, way above the optical+float sensor.

Therefore, I wanted to introduce some redudance, by adding a float switch on the Apex Breakout box, but also have the Tunze working on a certain time of the day.

I wrote the following but it still doesn't work as wanted, and I believe there is something wrong in the order:

Fallback OFF
    Set OFF
    If Time 09:00 to 20:00 Then ON
    If Swx4_1 CLOSED Then OFF
    If Swx4_1 OPEN Then ON
    Min Time 005:00 Then ON

Basically, I want the ATO to be energized from 9am to 8pm, but if Swx4_1 CLOSE during these time, it should cut the ATO power, only to come back 5min after Swx4_1 becomes OPEN again.

I am also thinking to incorporate the salinity probe in the program, such as it there is also a failure on Swx4_1, if the salinity drop by x%, kill the power to the ATO which may have dumped all the RO storage reserve in the sump.

Thoughts ?

Remove the OPEN line.

You can't do percentage change with salinity. Only actual value. You can add that to the end as well and 1 or 2 ppt below normal low range is a good value to ise. Just make sure you keep up on calibrations and keep the probe bubble free.

You might be an engineer if...You have no life and can prove it mathematically.

Frequent Visitor
    Quote Originally Posted by Skulltrail View Post
    Hi,

I have a Tunze ATO which somehow is a little bit inconsistent, as on a few occasions I came back to my tank with 10cm extra water in the sump, way above the optical+float sensor.

Therefore, I wanted to introduce some redudance, by adding a float switch on the Apex Breakout box, but also have the Tunze working on a certain time of the day.

I wrote the following but it still doesn't work as wanted, and I believe there is something wrong in the order:

Fallback OFF
    Set OFF
    If Time 09:00 to 20:00 Then ON
    If Swx4_1 CLOSED Then OFF
    If Swx4_1 OPEN Then ON
    Min Time 005:00 Then ON

Basically, I want the ATO to be energized from 9am to 8pm, but if Swx4_1 CLOSE during these time, it should cut the ATO power, only to come back 5min after Swx4_1 becomes OPEN again.

I am also thinking to incorporate the salinity probe in the program, such as it there is also a failure on Swx4_1, if the salinity drop by x%, kill the power to the ATO which may have dumped all the RO storage reserve in the sump.

Thoughts ?
    Yep, all common features my friend and welcome to the club. I don't see any flaws with the script, the Tunze ATO has its own floats built in right? To add the conductivity, just add the statement IF CondX_X < 51.0 Then Off. Swap out CondX_X with the actual name of the conductivity probe and set the actual value to your low cutoff value. Just be mindful that conductivity readings have a normal daily variation so you want to have your cutoff below this. In my tank, it is 51.50. If you track salinity instead of conductivity, just change the values accordingly.

My final thought is the Tunze ATO is pretty reputable by itself and if its building up your sump and extra 10 cm, then something there is not working properly and should be checked out. But using the Apex with a Time statement, two float switches and a conductivity check, that Tunze ATO should no longer be needed. I use a straight dosing pump on a OSC statement which limits the damage it can do if all other failsafes fail.

Good Luck.