Thread: Problems attaching 2nd Apex Base Unit

New User

Problems attaching 2nd Apex Base Unit

Good morning,

First of all, I am new to the Apex world and to this forum, but I will do my best to become an expert (control freak), and hope to help others out in the future...

About 3 weeks ago I set up my first Apex (2016), which was without too much trouble, except the Cond. probe (which I will recalibrating it in a few days along with two new probes, now soaking).
    I then gathered some of the components to monitor a second system using and additional 832, a PM1 and a PM2 (didn't realize I needed two PM1s, so still waiting to connect the ORP).

Yesterday afternoon, I added the PM2 (already had temp running on the first PM1), and had several new items show up on the dashboard (still have 3 pH probes, even though there are only two on the system), anyway it led me to think somehow the new Apex Base Unit, which I was setting up at the same time (I had only one set of calibration solution for each), somehow had started talking to my first Base Unit. endless hours and frustration, ended up by me restarting the Mac, to hopefully get them "separated", so I could attach. After the restart, I cannot find the new Base Unit anywhere - any ideas?

The apex does have 2 pH ports. The ORP port defaults to pH but can also be used for ORP.

You might be an engineer if...You have no life and can prove it mathematically.

New User
    So even if it is connected to an ORP probe, it will have the 2nd pH port listed?

Thanks again zombie

You have to define the second port as an ORP. Not sure how to do so on the 2016 as I own a classic myself.

You might be an engineer if...You have no life and can prove it mathematically.

Are you saying you are setting up a completely new Apex on the second system or you are just adding modules to the current one for this new system? I can't tell in your description above.

I'm guessing a second Apex as you mention a second base unit. If that is the case then these two Apex's should not be connected to each other other than on the same WiFi or ethernet. No aquabus cables should go between any of the modules and both Apex base units.

Can you give a more info on what you are actually doing?

Did you change the name of the Apex in the network setup? That would prevent you from connecting if you are trying to use the old name in your browser to connect.

New User
    Thank you Krazie,

I have a mess - lol

I have 2 tanks running together through one sump - This set up got a new Base Unit 3 weeks ago.
    Then I have a single tank with its own sump - I wanted to be able to monitor this set up as well, and did that with the Pm1s and Pm2
    Finally I just got water in my 240 gallon tank about a week ago, and with the head ache I got from trying to monitor the second system, with expansion modules (and the cost), I decided to buy another full system. Not trying to link via USB other than just being able to check on both using one account.

I was able to find the "lost" Apex today, using an Apex Browser, support sent me (Thanks Tom), and I found the Link generator in the Right Hand column. So far it is coming along, except one of the flow monitor is reading zero after the linking, but I am sure it will sort out. Thanks for your time. Greatly appreciated.