Thread: Not sure...

New User

Not sure...

I've been considering an APEX for a couple of months now, but still not sure if it has much value.

Since my system is fairly simple (no dosers or reactors), I'm not sure if this is worth £800+ to track the temperature of my tank, log tests results and once a month press a button to turn off all pumps to preform a water change.

I don't think I need convincing to buy it, but I'd love to hear what the uses it has (other than setting timers!)

It's biggest selling point is synchronizing everything together in one compact package. Here are a couple major use scenarios that almost everyone uses.

1. Perform every operation in one button push for feeding or maintenance and never forget that you left something unplugged (ex. During feeding turn off return, skimmer, slow down powerheads for 5 minutes. Keep skimmer off an extra 5 minutes so it doesn't overflow and surge powerheads to stir up what the fish missed). (Ex. Maintenance turn off all pumps but keep lights and heaters on. After 10 minutes everything is back to normal).

2. One compact outlet strip vs a wall of timers that all have to be fixed every time you have a power outage.

3. Super advanced ATO capabilities. With either the ATK or just floats and a pump, you can create advanced failsafes like allowing only slightly more water to be dosed than your typical evaporation rate, notifications when a float fails or pump runs too long. Auto lock out pump when things go wrong etc.

4. Notifications of events that could crash your tank. These include temp or pH out of range, power outages (if router and base unit are on a UPS), leaks, salinity out of range, etc.

5. Multiple other uses with additional modules including automated water changes, leak detection, synchronizing with wav pumps, controlling echotech or AI equipment, etc.

You might be an engineer if...You have no life and can prove it mathematically.

Frequent Visitor
    I think considering what you put out as what you do not value per se, item #4 in zombie's list would be my biggest selling point to you. Even if I had a simple system with minimal automation or mechanical systems, just knowing that I could be notified if a float switch tripped (could be an overflow or a drain - such as a pump dry situation), a leak sensor goes off, a drop in pH/ORP/Conductivity or a wild swing in temperature, or even a power outage. This to me is worth the money.

If you have been in this hobby long enough, wisdom will dictate that eventually something will go wrong. An Apex unit, without all the extra bells and whistles for buttons, lighting, fancy pumps, etc...can alert you to a problem before it becomes a disaster. Heck, I know my power is out from Apex Fusion before my home controller or power company lets me know!