Thread: New Apex User - Lighting Programming questions

New User

New Apex User - Lighting Programming questions

Hi folks, I just got my new Apex (2016) setup for my 120g reef tank about a week ago. I used to have a Reef Angel Controller running my tank and controlling my lighting for me. I don't want to knock RA because I've had it running since early in 2012 and it allowed me to do some serious customization... however, I've recently started having issues with probes not working and the wifi attachment disconnecting frequently, so I decided to upgrade to the Apex.

Here is some basic info on my tank equipment:
    120g rr (single corner overflow)
    40g custom sump (40 breeder)
    EcoTech L1 Return pump (runs a manifold to also feed separate carbon/gfo reactors as well as return from sump)
    2x EcoTech VorTech MP40QD for circulation
    2x Apollo Reef LED dimmable fixtures
    Eheim 300w Heater
    Bubble Magus Hero 180 Cone Skimmer (also have custom made remote skimmate collector with pressure switch control over skimmer)

OK so this thread is about my lighting programming - I have 2 fixtures and each has a separate 0-10v dimming channel for whites and blues. This was an easy CAT6 cable connection from each fixture to the 2 Variable Speed/Dimming ports on the base unit. To get it setup quickly (until I learn more advanced programming) I used the "wizard" feature to setup a simple ramping table for the 4 base_Var outlets.

I just copied base_var1 to base_var3 and copied base_var2 to base_var4 to keep both fixtures on the same schedule. Here is the code for those:

Code:
    ID0
    Device  base_Var1
    Name  LED1-BLUE
    Type  variable
    Icon  Light A
    Control Type  Advanced
    Log  Enable
    Program
    Fallback OFF 
    tdata 00:00:00,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0
    tdata 08:00:00,0,0,9,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0
    tdata 10:00:00,0,0,70,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0
    tdata 12:30:00,0,0,80,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0
    tdata 15:00:00,0,0,75,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0
    tdata 21:00:00,0,0,9,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0
    tdata 23:59:00,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0

ID1 Device base_Var2 Name LED1-WHT Type variable Icon Light B Control Type Advanced Log Disable Program Fallback OFF tdata 00:00:00,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0 tdata 10:00:00,0,0,9,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0 tdata 12:00:00,0,0,30,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0 tdata 13:31:00,0,0,40,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0 tdata 15:00:00,0,0,30,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0 tdata 19:30:00,0,0,9,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0 tdata 23:59:00,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0
    That's for one fixture. The second fixture will be a duplicate of that with the only difference being the names of the Var ports will be (base_Var3) LED2-BLUE and (base_Var4) LED2-WHITE.

OK, so now you know what I have, here is what I would like to change:

1. I would like to incorporate random storms and/or clouds with a way to manually make them happen to show my wife how much of a geek I am
    2. I would like to use sunrise/sunset tables of a Caribbean Island (say Grand Cayman) instead of the fixed table I'm currently using.

I've done some forum searching and I have seen the sunrise/sunset and cloud/storms instructions for the supported manufacturers in the 3 stickies, and my Apollo's are not one of them... but I know these fixtures were capable of doing storms/clouds as well as sunrise/sunset effects with my old controller. So, pretty sure this can be done, I'm just not that familiar with how to write the code for Apex.

Can anyone help get me started on this stuff? I'm pretty savvy and can figure out how to adapt code to my preferences, etc. if I can just learn the basic functions I need to have in there to make it work. Any tips, pointers, or links to something I missed would be greatly appreciated.

You can easily adapt the programming in the sticky about AI Sols, omitting the parts about moonlighting; just program the applicable variable outputs instead of the serial output used for Sols.

As for weather, you can program cloudy periods, but don't try to enable lighting - it does not work on 0-10v outputs.
    Please do not send me PMs with technical questions or requesting assistance - use the forums for Apex help. PM me ONLY if the matter is of a private or personal nature. Thanks.

New User
    Quote Originally Posted by RussM View Post
    You can easily adapt the programming in the sticky about AI Sols, omitting the parts about moonlighting; just program the applicable variable outputs instead of the serial output used for Sols.

As for weather, you can program cloudy periods, but don't try to enable lighting - it does not work on 0-10v outputs.
    Thanks for the reply Russ. I'll try to mess around with it this weekend then and see if I can get it to work like I want.

When you said "but don't try to enable lighting" did you mean to say don't try to enable lightning? Just trying to make sure I'm understanding what you are saying.

Quote Originally Posted by Tanksnstuff View Post
    Thanks for the reply Russ. I'll try to mess around with it this weekend then and see if I can get it to work like I want.

When you said "but don't try to enable lighting" did you mean to say don't try to enable lightning? Just trying to make sure I'm understanding what you are saying.
    He meant lighting. Only the cool guys are allowed to use lights on their tanks

You might be an engineer if...You have no life and can prove it mathematically.

Lol. Sorry - yep, I meant lightning. And zombie made the same typo. We both needed more coffee I think
    Please do not send me PMs with technical questions or requesting assistance - use the forums for Apex help. PM me ONLY if the matter is of a private or personal nature. Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by RussM View Post
    Lol. Sorry - yep, I meant lightning. And zombie made the same typo. We both needed more coffee I think
    I made no typo. I was being sarcastic and purposely used lighting instead of lightning

You might be an engineer if...You have no life and can prove it mathematically.

New User
    Ok, so no values for the lightning then. Hmm, I'm pretty sure I was able to get lightning effects to work on my Apollos when I used a demo mode of the Reef Angel and that was 0-10v signal.

I'll just have to experiment I guess. At least I know to start with the AI sol sticky coding though. Thanks for the help guys.