Thread: Waterproof Temp Probe Penetration

Frequent Visitor

Waterproof Temp Probe Penetration

I am about to cannibalize an old chiller and make it into a mini-split system (my brother is A/C tech and EPA licensed). My plan is to put the heat exchanger in my cabinet at the very top, extend the copper tubing through the exterior wall into my soffit and then remount the compressor and condenser on the exterior. The copper tubing will be extended about 2-ft and we will upsize the line to keep the line pressure about the same. I will fabricate a new exterior grade case and it will be mounted under my eave from protection from direct elements.

My problem is the electronic controller is shot. I will use the Apex to control the unit. An EB4 will be included in the exterior housing and controlled by tank temperature...thats the easy part. The hard part is I want to monitor the temperature inside the heat exchanger to detect chiller failure and/or chiller freezing..so a high/low temp cutoff. The box appears to be constructed of some kind of plastic. My thinking is remove the old/small temp probe and drill the hole big enough to insert an Apex temp probe. I will then need some kind of way to seal the hole with a grommet or uni-seal like gasket.

Also, the unit does have an internal mechanical shut off and that will be preserved. As best as I can tell, that is independent of the electronic controller.

Any ideas on the Apex Temp Probe penetration?

Frequent Visitor
    btw, this might be a good application for a variable speed pump. I will want to run the pump at 100% to get a full prime on the piping (10_ft vertical) but then I will want to slow it down once its fully primed as it will operate as a closed loop. Makes me wonder what the current release date will be on the COR pump...

Could work, but you will likely need to pull the rubber cap off so you can actually seal it. You might be able to use a seal similar to those used in calcium reactors for pH probes.

No word yet on the COR release date. Since you're working on it now, a varios would work well.

You might be an engineer if...You have no life and can prove it mathematically.

Frequent Visitor
    Thanks as always!

Im not sure how long this project will take. The chiller was disassembled last night. I'm actually thinking I may mount the heat exchanger in the soffit so that I don't have to extend the refrigerant tubes. I will need to re-insulate the box anyway. I found the specs on the compressor but not a performance curve so that limits my knowledge. Plus after taking a step back and applying the KISS principle, adding another 4-ft of water plumbing is far less work than 4-ft of refrigerant plumbing.

I may just go with a Mag 12 to get it started. Not familiar with the Various pumps but will look into it. Based on my calcs, the chiller is twice as big as I need anyway.