Thread: Classic Apex can you control without

Frequent Visitor

Classic Apex can you control without

I struggle with technology and always struggled programming my Apex so bear with the newb question.... I have an original Apex the screen quit years ago and on my new tank I do not have any easy way to get internet to it. Not gonna try the gaming adapter stuff again too big of a headache. I really only want to be able to turn on and off switches during maintenance. Is the only way to do so via a laptop and Ethernet cable or is there a way to tie in say an old tablet and have it running all the time like I see some people do? Thanks

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

You will need a laptop or desktop connected over Ethernet for firmware updates. Since you don't have a display, the easiest way to find it is to open your router webpage with the apex disconnected from the network. Then connect the apex to the network and see what ip address got added to the connected devices list. Then type in that up address and you can set up the network settings on the classic dashboard (I suggest using a static ip you can remember since you can't look it up on a display).

You can use a tablet for everyday use and displaying information. Just set a homepage to fusion.

You might be an engineer if...You have no life and can prove it mathematically.

Frequent Visitor
    Bummer guess I won't use it too much of a pita to get internet to the tank thanks

I wouldn't call that a PITA. It's like a 30 minute process.

You might be an engineer if...You have no life and can prove it mathematically.

Frequent Visitor
    Like Zombie said, this isn't difficult, but if you are not committed to do the work, then there is nothing we can do for you.

Yes, you can get an iPad to work with either Classic or Fusion, but first you need to get into the unit via the network. Personally, I would get a replacement screen so you have the direct connect. I think they run $90 but as you say, its less a PITA. I personally find Classic easiest to use.

Frequent Visitor
    I used to use a gaming adapter before I moved it's not hard but is a pita. Would always lose connection and constantly had connection issues. I'm not cpu or internet savvy and for someone like myself it is anroyal pita. Not too mention you can not do hardware updates with the adapter as well.

Frequent Visitor
    Is a hardwired cable an option. That is the only way to connect it IMO. Im not a network guy either, in fact the little I learned about networking was specifically to get the Apex up and running. But at a minimum you should know how to get into your router, setup a login and password. Once you learn that, finding the Apex IP address is as easy as going into the next screen for TCP/IP settings or client list management...different routers call them different things.

One thing I learned is if you have never logged into your own router before, then you are likely running either no user name/password security or you are running the default. Unless you live in a rural areas, your free wireless signal is or will be used for illegal activities. I had to answer for once and now I keep it all secured. Getting the IP address for anything on your network is literally just one or two more clicks away from that effort.

Frequent Visitor
    Well I ran a wire behind the stand in the wall when I redid the room in hopes of hardwiring. But I am struggling with a way to get it to my router I would have to drill a hole in the floor somewhere and that's not gonna fly around here...

Frequent Visitor
    Quote Originally Posted by ssjd2000 View Post
    Well I ran a wire behind the stand in the wall when I redid the room in hopes of hardwiring. But I am struggling with a way to get it to my router I would have to drill a hole in the floor somewhere and that's not gonna fly around here...

Rental or spouse? One just requires a small patch and the other a nice dinner and apology after the fact. You can always try the I was running with the drill on high speed with the extension bit and I accidentally tripped and pole vaulted it into the ceiling

I was fortunate that I have a 1-1/2 story house, which is a pain to work into but I do have crawl space access to the perimeter or the attic, and the aquarium just happens to be on an exterior wall. I currently an running a Cat 5 across the wall to a jack in the kitchen but I have a knock out in the ceiling above the tank for a Cat 5 jack, USB jack (aquabus) and a dedicated tank outlet. I actually have been 'temporarily' running of an extension chord a almost a year and its a 110 gallon.

If you can find a way to get the hardwire in, you will eliminate your drop connections, not be worried about firmware updates. Either way, you should be able to lock an IP address for the controller, you just have to get into the router login and snoop around to find the settings. Im on my 3rd router in 10 years and I have been able to get in and set IP addresses with each one and I have no background in this stuff. In fact all the settings beyond basic security, WAP settings and IP address assignments intimidate me, but so far I have not needed them.

Frequent Visitor
    Yes wife...I just spent an hour under the house and think I may of found a way through a pre-existing hole in the floor thanks for the help

Frequent Visitor
    Quote Originally Posted by ssjd2000 View Post
    Yes wife...I just spent an hour under the house and think I may of found a way through a pre-existing hole in the floor thanks for the help

You will be happier

New User
    https://www.walmart.com/ip/TP-LINK-T...&wl13=&veh=sem

Solved all my problems.

Frequent Visitor
    You could also try a Netgear N300 Wi-Fi Range Extender WN3000RP. It is compact and easy to install with a smartphone and was up and running in less than five minutes.