Thread: Minimum purchase

Frequent Visitor

Minimum purchase

I currently do not have an Apex controller and I cannot afford to buy the starter packs many dealers sell but I can just about afford the new base unit and a pH probe (pH monitoring is the main thing I need it for right now). Can you tell me if the unit will allow me to setup the unit and connect to Fusion with just these 2 products or do I need the energy bar and temperature probe as well?
    I appreciate it would be cheaper in the long run to buy it all in one go but they are really expensive here in the UK which leads me to my next question. I can buy one in the US and ship it back cheaper than buying one here in the UK therefore, is it possible to specify a UK energy bar and power supply when purchasing from the US e.g. can the US dealer source the UK specification directly.

Many thanks for any help.

Frequent Visitor

Minimum purchase

You must have the energy bar to get the unit operable, but I do wonder if you could power it with just the 12vdc backup port, albeit that is not its purpose. My suggestion is look to buy one used. With the new Apex 2016 out, many people are selling their classics to upgrade. Plus locally, there is always equipment for sale as people quit the hobby.

Regarding US sources, I don't think you will get what you want at any savings.

Frequent Visitor
    Thanks for the reply, that is really annoying as initially, I just want it to monitor, rather than control.
    Many thanks for the answer

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

Frequent Visitor
    If you are going with the new Apex unit, they unfortunately are inseparable...which is exactly why I WONT buy it. I hate that the consolidated the energy bar with the controller - I keep mine in separate mounting arrangements.

You do have an option to try and find a separate Apex Classic base controller - used. I "think" these are not country specific. It will need a separate 12vdc power source. Without an energy bar attached, I don't think you can use the aqua bus so an energy bar will have to be your first upgrade.

Gonna set the record straight as a lot of the responses prior are incorrect...

You can use an apex base unit all by itself to monitor pH and temp if you plug it into the 12V power supply suited for the UK. An energy bar is not actually required even to run modules besides the base unit.

With that said, I don't think it's gonna be worthwhile for you to try and piecemeal one together like that. It will cost you a lot more money in the long run and you don't really gain a ton for the price you pay just to monitor pH and temp. The real value comes when you can have the apex react to problems with pH and temp for you, which requires outlets.

If you want to get one inexpensively, I would suggest looking for a used one from whatever the UKs version of Craigslist is or local aquarium clubs. You can often find them for 50-75% full price and they hold together real well over time (I bought a used apex to start that was 4 years old and lasted me another 3 before the base unit bricked. All the other modules still work after more than 8 years)

You might be an engineer if...You have no life and can prove it mathematically.

Frequent Visitor
    Many thanks for clarifying this. I have just been offered a Apex Classic base unit with a UK power suppy which is brand new. It does not come with the energy bar so just to confirm, I could purchase this and set it up with Fusion without an energy bar?

Quote Originally Posted by zombie View Post
    Gonna set the record straight as a lot of the responses prior are incorrect...

You can use an apex base unit all by itself to monitor pH and temp if you plug it into the 12V power supply suited for the UK. An energy bar is not actually required even to run modules besides the base unit.

With that said, I don't think it's gonna be worthwhile for you to try and piecemeal one together like that. It will cost you a lot more money in the long run and you don't really gain a ton for the price you pay just to monitor pH and temp. The real value comes when you can have the apex react to problems with pH and temp for you, which requires outlets.

If you want to get one inexpensively, I would suggest looking for a used one from whatever the UKs version of Craigslist is or local aquarium clubs. You can often find them for 50-75% full price and they hold together real well over time (I bought a used apex to start that was 4 years old and lasted me another 3 before the base unit bricked. All the other modules still work after more than 8 years)

You might be an engineer if...You have no life and can prove it mathematically.

Frequent Visitor
    @zombie - Thanks for clarifying

yes Clownfishy, what you have been offered will work for monitoring and notification purposes only.