Thread: "New" apex in box condition

New User

"New" apex in box condition

Hello guys,

i just bought a new apex 2016 edition off eBay. It was advertised as brand new factory sealed still. The seller appeared reputable with a 10 year old account and good reviews. However it had the shrink wrap but one end was slightly popped. I did not believe someone could've squeezed it out the opening. However on opening I noticed some concerning things.
    1. The box did not have the security seals I have seen.
    2. The probes are crusted over with what appears to be a salt. And the probes solutions are about half gone.
    3. The base unit did not have the red sticker on it warning to read before use.
    4. The plastic housing (supporting white stuff that keeps unit in the box) was cracked and looked rough.
    5. All of the cables appeared to be neatly zip tied still.
    6. The apex base unit has maybe 2 scuff marks half size of rice along its front rounded axis part.

Thoughts ? Should I initiate a dispute ?

Thanks !

That looks fishy. Sounds like whoever sold it to you gave you return or used one but advertised as new. I would initiate a dispute if it were me.

You might be an engineer if...You have no life and can prove it mathematically.

New User
    That's what I was thinking. Good thing I used PayPal so I have both eBay and PayPal buyer protection in this case. Lesson learned from this purchase. No more eBay. Sticking with BRS or other major online retailers. Idk I consider myself more online savvy the guys account is from 2007 and he had 100 positive reviews over the years. Was super quick to reply to messages about shipping etc as well.

FWIW, #2 is not an issue - it is not unusual for a bit of storage fluid to seep out from the soft plastic caps on the pH and ORP probes and dry into a crusty residue. As long as there is some storage fluid remaining, those probes are OK.
    Please do not send me PMs with technical questions or requesting assistance - use the forums for Apex help. PM me ONLY if the matter is of a private or personal nature. Thanks.

Control Freak In Training
    Did you contact the seller to try to return? If he is as reputable as it seems by his long and positive history you may not need to file a dispute.

New User
    Thanks everyone... I talked with apex support. Apparently they stopped using the security tape because stores wanted to show it off. The build up on probes is normal(maybe a better container should have been built ?). He said to just soak them in tank water for a couple days.

Only thing that has me worried is he stated buying it even new off eBay it won't have a warranty (which seems really ****ty honestly they don't call that out any where on their site) because it wasn't bought from a authorized 3rd party retailer.

Frequent Visitor
    if you buy an iPad off someone brand new you probably won't have a warranty either as it was not sold by an authorized retailer. This is done to protect their authorized retailers and also as protection as the manufacturer hasn't screened the retailer to know that they are up and up with regard to how the product is handled.

I'm not saying anything is wrong with it and I am not saying that you won't get product support from Neptune. But since neptune cannot trace the "chain of custody" of the product why should they warranty it. They have no clue if it was truly new etc. Hopefully you had a significant savings from buying from eBay vs. a LFS or an online retailer like BRS then it won't be an issue.

New User
    Sorry to but in - Apple's hardware warranty is tied to a serial number; anyone can use AppleCare within one year as well as extend the warranty.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk