Thread: Maintenance for DOS on AWC

Regular Vistor

Maintenance for DOS on AWC

I am running the DOS for AWC on a 200 gallon system changing approximately 2.5 gallons a day. I'd like to have my ducks in a row as far as maintenance is concerned. As of now I check for air bubbles once a week and keep an eye on the salinity for possible calibration issues. I calibrate the pumps once every 90 days. I would like to know:

1)What is the approximate lifespan on the heads? Should I proactively change them on a schedule or wait until they die?
    2)What is the approximate lifespan on the unit itself?

Depends on how much you use it. The tubing lasts roughly 500 gallons before needing to be replaced and the mean time before failure of the dos itself was about 5000 gallons at the highest rate the program would allow (this is likely extended as lower duty cycles usually mean better mtbf on motors). For a 90 gallon tank, this is head replacements every year and the dos itself lasting 8-10 years before needing replacement or service.

You might be an engineer if...You have no life and can prove it mathematically.

Regular Vistor
    Quote Originally Posted by zombie View Post
    Depends on how much you use it. The tubing lasts roughly 500 gallons before needing to be replaced and the mean time before failure of the dos itself was about 5000 gallons at the highest rate the program would allow (this is likely extended as lower duty cycles usually mean better mtbf on motors). For a 90 gallon tank, this is head replacements every year and the dos itself lasting 8-10 years before needing replacement or service.

Great, thanks. This means I can replace my heads about every 6 months and the unit itself about every 5 years.

Regular Vistor
    Quote Originally Posted by zombie View Post

One last question. Does the calibrate every 100 hours mean actual runtime? Mine seems to run for a few seconds every 10 minutes for 14 hours a day. How often would you calibrate in my case?

Actual runtime. I don't know why they didn't list it in gallons, but I think every month or two would be fine. That will also help you keep track of the heads too. If one doesn't nearly match the other before adjustment (I like doing 2 to 3 times each to fine tune) and/or you see noticeable error (like 35 or 45 instead of 40) Then it's time to replace the heads.