Thread: Questions on Apex Jr

New User

Questions on Apex Jr

I am looking at the Apex Jr. to control my LED light fixture that I am building. I have some specific questions that I would like to get the answer to before I make the considerable investment in the Apex Jr. Since I am looking at controlling up yo 8 light channels I think I will need two VDM units. I am really confused at some points and need some help/clarification. I am looking for maximum flexibility since I will be dividing up the various channels so that each channel will be controlling different color LEDs, so I can vary the overall appearance of the tank throughout the day. For example I like a warmer color for sunrise and sunset, while I like a cooler color temp for midday. So I am looking to vary not only intensity of the light but color balance as well.

1 - Is there a graphical interface for controlling lighting (VDM) with the APEX Jr.? Using a graphical interface is certainly much easier to understand and manipulate.

2 - Can the VDM be programmed to control lighting so that there are multiple ramp-up/ramp-down cycles in a single 24-hour period on individual channels. This would allow me to have a dedicated red channel that can be boosted for sunrise and morning, fade out for mid-day, and come back on for evening/sunset.

3 - Can the VDM be programmed to control lighting so that each channel has independent ramp-up/ramp-down times?

4 - Can the VDM be programmed to control lighting so that each channel has independent time lengths of ramp-up and ramp-down?

5 - Can the VDM be programmed to control lighting so that each channel has independent max intensity? This will allow me to experiment on intensity, dialing up/down if I find I have algae issues.

If anyone can help me better understand the potential of the Apex Jr in relation to the above questions I would greatly appreciate it.

1. Yes
    2. Yes
    3. Yes
    4. Yes
    5. Yes

You will need 2 modules if you use the Jr. With the Variable Speed Outlets they will appear as separate tiles on the Apex Dashboard.
    On my Apex I run a Nanobox LED light. I have 4 channels of control on 2 ports. This gives me 4 separate tiles to alter my ramping and intensity for those channels. Below are Blue, White, Mint, and Cyan

If you click on the gear icon for the channel you want to control it opens up this graphing wizard to let you put numberous set points throughout the day. You can choose when each channel comes on, the ramp length, max intensity, and total duration. You have to do this to each channel individually but you can overlay all of the channels to see how they match up throughout the whole day. I'm a bit of a night owl so my graph accounts for them being on past midnight.

New User
    Thank you so much for the input. With this information I feel much more confident in moving forward with the investment in Apex Jr. with VDM modules. This is exactly what I was looking for.

Quote Originally Posted by billinpenna View Post
    Thank you so much for the input. With this information I feel much more confident in moving forward with the investment in Apex Jr. with VDM modules. This is exactly what I was looking for.
    You may want to consider spending a bit more on an apex classic rather than a VDM + APEX Jr.

It's 550 vs 350 but you get 4 extra outlets, 2 pH/orp ports and 1 pH probe, and switch inputs built in with no limit on modules (APEX jr can have 7). If you decided down the line you need more outlets, want to run a calcium reactor, etc, you would be spending another 360 to make it comparable when you could just spend an extra 200 now and have it all.

You might be an engineer if...You have no life and can prove it mathematically.

New User
    Thanks. I'm a fresh water/planted Discus tank guy, so mostly what I am looking for from the Apex is light control. I do have another question that has come though. Can the Apex Jr control multiple VDM units? Also, can I later add an expansion power bar? And if I can add an expansion power bar, does that mean I can utilize the hub and add additional modules or is there something within the Jr. that inherently limits the number of modules that can be connected?

The reason that I ask is that although I am primarily looking for light control, later I may want to look at auto feeders or auto fill systems or auto dosing.

The Apex Jr maybe expanded with up to 7 modules (the display module does not count against that limit). So yes, you can add a mix of up to 7 EnergyBars, VDMS, probe modules, etc.
    Please do not send me PMs with technical questions or requesting assistance - use the forums for Apex help. PM me ONLY if the matter is of a private or personal nature. Thanks.